Deleting CAB files after execution - normal???

// Expert user has replied.
S Stephen Vye 2 years 11 months ago
39 11 0

Hi All, I had a Software Developer tell Coke NZ to approach Motorola and request us to change the Registry key as follows because our MC75 has a device configuration issue (they claim our default setting should delete CAB files after execution) There requirement for the CAB file being deleted was I guess for upgrades in the field where they want to overwrite ad deploy a new version, am I right in suggesting XML. The blinding stupid part is that Coke have MSP for a different business project that we could utilise, so I say let's get them to put there files into an airbeam package instead - then we get version control too. There Reg key suggestion: The setting that needs to change is [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cabfile\Shell\Open\Command]   Setting before("Default"=wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete)   Setting after = ("Default"=wceload.exe "%1) Cheers Steve Vye

Please register or login to post a reply

11 Replies

J Justin Meng

Did you try to set the CAB file read-only?

D Daniel Park

Thanks Ignacio. so delete 1 is optional? Dan

D Daniel Park

Thanks Ignacio. so delete 1 is optional? Dan

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Yes, it is. The option /delete 1 is assumed. But you can try that if the CAB file is still there after the installation. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb158700.aspx Regards

D Daniel Park

OK, although the reg key worked when manually installing cab files, it doesn't seem to delete cabs that are installed in a package via MSP 3.2. Basically the customer wants all cab files installed via MSP to be deleted on install to free up some room in the application folder. Is there a preferred method here. Does the "delete on Install" in Airbeam package Builder delete cab files? regards, Daniel

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Daniel, Then you have to use the "Install command" option in the AirBEAM Package Builder to introduce manually the installation options for your CAB file. So, don't check the box "CAB" and introduce the following in the Install Command line: \windows\wceload.exe /noui "\Application\your_cab_file_name.cab" This should delete the cab after installation. I assume that your cab is in Application folder. Or you could try also with: \windows\wceload.exe /noui /delete 1 "\Application\your_cab_file_name.cab" Regards

G Gregory Carras

Hi Steve, Yes- XML is a good way to do it.  With some of the Coke bottlers in the US we've done "Clean-Boot" persistent setups, where we use StartUpCtrl or Startup.exe with registry settings to re-apply the CAB files- and we use the /nodelete option: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\symbol\Startup\Programs\Prog14] "Name"="\Windows\wceload.exe" "Command"="/delete 0 /noui \Application\applicationcabfilesample.CAB" "ColdBootOnly"=dword:00000001 "Continue"=dword:00000000

D Daniel Park

Team, My customer wishes to delete cab files after they are run. if I remove the  /nodelete portion of the following key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cabfile\Shell\Open\Command] "Default"=wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete using a remote registry editor and then warm boot the device, the cabs files will be deleted after they are run. However if I instead try to change this setting using a reg key it doesnt seem to remove the /nodelete command. The key I am using is as follows: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cabfile\Shell\Open\Command] "Default" = "wceload.exe "%1"" (Note: To create this key I took an image of the registry using RemCapture, I then changed the reg key using a remote registry editor and then subtracted the differences using Remcapture so the syntax should be correct) Is there some write protection on this key or is there a suggested method for changing the default of the device to delete cabs after install Note : the cabs are being installed via MSP and the device is an MC75 runnig BSP35. regards, Daniel

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Try a reg key with the following: REGEDIT4 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cabfile\Shell\Open\Command] @="wceload.exe "%1"" The "@" is the symbol used to represent the "default" entry.

R Richard Linsley-Hood

Microsoft changed the default behaviour of delete/no delete cab files during the move from PPC2003 to WM5.0. The registry key can be changed back as described if the default behaviour needs to be reverted to the previous behaviour on WM5.0 or WM6.0 but that is a customer descision

A Arsen Bandurian

Or you could just use wceload /nodelete instead of manually clicking CAB files anyway :)

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?