I-SAFE enclosures for AP650 / AP7131

M Marcus Kurath 3 years ago
3 0 0

I had a request from a US based customer to provide an ISAFE 802.11N AP. Since we do not make one, I contacted Extronics, who put me in touch with their NA reseller Exloc. I am posting the information I got from Exloc in case anyone is interested. It looks like a fairly simple exercise to get the current 802.11N AP"s certified, and it does not necessarily need to be done by Motorola...A customer can request Extronics certify an AP independently. Bothe Exloc and Extronics seem to be very responsive
Briefly, Exloc Instruments is the North American master distributor for Extronics, LTD and we work closely with them on OEM –type engagements.  They forwarded your initial inquiry and we are all anxious to work  with a firm like Motorola and your partners like Extreme Networks.

Right at this moment, we are in a position to offer two options with almost no special work or extensive certification work.

(1)    The iWAP200 is a stainless steel enclosure which is built in accordance with the European ATEX Zone-2 certificate for hazardous area operation.  ATEX Zone-2 is very nearly a match with the Class 1, Division 2 rules in the US.  The protection strategy built into the iWAP200 involves an isolation board which is designed to protect the radio from over-voltage and provides RF isolation to prevent high energy from entering the antenna element in the event of a fault condition.  We can accommodate up to six antennas on this enclosure and physically speaking, both of your Motorola units will fit into this enclosure.  The enclosures will support a variety of heating, cooling, power options, etc as well.  Speaking for a moment about the ATEX certificate, we tend to find that multi-national companies are quite comfortable with the ATEX certificate on this enclosure and are happy to use it.  We find that old-line US companies with minimal experience in international applications insist on UL or FM (United States and Canada) certificates which are not presently available on the iWAP200.  If your client can accept ATEX, this iWAP will be an excellent solution for you in the Class 1, Division 2-type application.  To proceed, we would need to forward one radio to Extronics factory or better yet, obtain an engineering schematic (with appropriate NDA agreements) so that we can ensure that the radio conforms to the certificate already issued on the iWAP200.  This is a simple exercise and as I noted on the phone, they are looking to ensure it doesn’t have a battery or fans, is below the current draw limits, etc.  There is a registration fee with the notified body to add your radios to the approved list of equipment, which we can waive with a small minimum volume commitment.  These are relatively quick  exercises though.  From the word ‘go’, the evaluation and registration process can be done concurrently with an order and will not affect order fulfillment.  One nice aspect about the iWAP200 is that you can use your own standard commercial antennas because the RF limiter module inside the iWAP yields an intrinsically safe RF output.  As long as your selected antennas conform to the gas groups in your plants, they qualify as simple apparatus and don’t need to be certified.  We also carry a line of antennas which have been separately evaluated and bear ATEX Zone-2 certificates if your local plant prefers to use certified antennas.  See the line of iANT antennas here:  http://www.exloc.com/wifi_ant_mm.html

(2)    The iWAP105 is a US enclosure which is certified for Class 1, Division 1.  As such, it well exceeds your Class 1, Division 2 requirement.  The nice thing about the iWAP105 is that it uses an explosionproof strategy rather than an intrinsically safe RF and power limiter module.  No additional evaluation or certification review is necessary and we can literally accommodate any radio which will physically fit into the enclosure.  Both of your radios will work.  There are two potential drawbacks to the iWAP105 (and its sister product the iWAP103 which has ATEX certification).  The first is that it may be tough to fit six of our standard omni directional antennas to the iWAP105 without some special engineering work.  The enclosure was initially designed for up to four antennas.  We can make some small tradeoffs (like using smaller omni antennas) but if you want to take this possibility a bit further, lets coordinate an engineering discussion with the factory team.  The other potential snag is that we only have omni-directional antennas available for the iWAP105.  The choices are 2dbi and 5dbi omni.  Whereas the 200 series ATEX Zone2 can use most any antenna which conforms to EIRP guidelines, ATEX Zone1 and C1,D1 are much more restrictive.

In summary, we should be able to achieve your clients needs either with the Zone-2 unit or the Class 1, Division 1 unit.  Both options are also dust certified so if you actually need Class 2, Division 2 you are still covered for dust operations.  I would tend to steer you to the Zone-2 solution since it meets the international standards and can accommodate six antennas easily.  However, the 105 has the higher certification and is turn-key today but is a bit of overkill for the application.  Lead times tend to be between 6 and 8 weeks based on foundry workload for casting the enclosures and the delay related to importation.  We can source the radios but since you are with Motorola, you are welcome to free-issue units and simply have us fit them to the enclosures.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?