beacon does not activate on installation.

Im following the documentation on installing MPACT beacons using toolbox.

I have scanned the beacons and appeared grey(inactive) on the floor layout which is expected as per documentation.

following the next step on the docs does not work.

inst.png

I have 3 beacons and reset them many times but still no luck.

Seth Atkins
Riijin,By chance did you

Riijin,

By chance did you upgrade the firmware on these or did you simply receive and turn them on? Sometimes with firmware upgrades, I've seen them not enter a beaconing mode afterward.

What you can do to troubleshoot this is to look in Toolbox --> Tag Configure or Toolbox --> Tag Firmware. If the tags show up non-grayed-out (meaning they are selectable) then they are in "configure mode". The tag is supposed to go into this mode when they first boot and will sometimes get stuck in this mode if there is an issue with configuration or firmware. So in the scenario you describe, I would expect to see them selectable in either the firmware upgrade or tag configure view of Toolbox.

Please confirm you can see them and they are selectable before I suggest a next step. Also if you do see them as selectable in Tag Firmware, can you tell me what firmware it reports that is installed on the tag? Lastly if we do need to re-upgrade the tags, do you have access to the current tag firmware through the extranet site?

Seth

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rijjin Valiao
Hi Seth,We did not upgrade

Hi Seth,

We did not upgrade the firmware for these and in fact we did not get a firmware with the beacons.

On Toolbox --> Tag Firmware, the tags does not show up(there is no tags selectable).

Also why these beacons aren't detected by our iPad(version 7.02 which is supported according to MPact documentation) bluetooth? we have also installed the MPact toolbox on iPhone but then again the beacons aren't visible to iPhone bluetooth. The beacons though are detected by Android devices(Samsung S4 and nexus5 android version 4.4.2 are devices we have tried).

From here we are stuck on even getting our application development to start.

Can we arrange a phone call with you as we are getting desperate with timeline and we have more questions.

Thanks,

Jin

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Seth Atkins
I may have some time later

I may have some time later today to work with you on the phone. Can you tell me if you go to Toolbox --> Tag Configure, do you see the tags listed and can you select "yes" in the slider to the left of the row?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Melvin Fleiser
Hi Seth I can answer on

Hi Seth I can answer on behalf of Rijjin here.

We cannot see the tags in ANY screens of the toolkit.

Installation mode shows the positions but they remain grey.

Maintenance screen show the positions but they remain grey.

Firmware screen shows no Beacons in the list.

Configuration screen shows no Beacons in the list

All of the above screens were observed both in the initial beacon boot-up phase and also afterwards.

When viewing an Android v4 device Settings -> Bluetooth -> Known devices, the MAC of the Beacon is visible to the Android phone.

No such information is visible in the corresponding Bluetooth menu of our iPad or iPhone.

Rijjin has written a small app for Android which we can see is sending data to the mpact server 14D (packet capture) but the mpact server 14D is not showing any beacon info e.g. battery life. (We were able to see some bettery life info and user-tracking heatmaps on the old mpact 8D server but even then we saw nothing in the Toolkit.)

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Seth Atkins
It looks like you installed

It looks like you installed the latest version of Toolbox after posting this. I'm just checking to see if that resolved this issue, because that is what I was going to recommend anyway. If not, I'll try to get someone in engineering to call you as the app not seeing the tag at all is a problem I'm not sure I can help you with. I've never seen that happen except for a specific issue in an older version of Toolbox that has since been fixed. If you want to email me direct or send me your direct contact info, I'll have someone follow up with you. My email is seth.atkins@motorolasolutions.com

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Stephen Vye
As of last night,  it looks

As of last night,  it looks like the iPad and iPhone are not BLE capable. We are hunting down an iPad 5 currently.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Melvin Fleiser
Hi all, We have installed the

Hi all,

We have installed the Toolkit and Client app on an iPhone4S which supports bluetooth V4 and can confirm that everything works as it should.

The issue was our old iphone and ipad

(Yes the bluetooth requirements are mentioned in the MPact documentation...we made some incorrect assumptions about our test devices. It doesn't help that Apple makes it difficult to identify device models and specs)

The Bluetooth version 4 iphone was able to see and configure the tags, no problem. Also it's location was correctly displayed on the "Client" app. Once everything has been configured, our BLE Android device now shows up on the MPact map with video-playback, heatmaps etc.

Thanks everyone.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’