Windows 8 Tablet problems

// Expert user has replied.
B Bart Fukkink 2 years 11 months ago
1 6 0

Hello,

We are running into some problems when we try to deploy our application, created with RhoMobile, on tablets that are running a full version of Windows 8. Whenever we start our application (or any application made with RhoMobile) we cannot click on any links. When we click on a simple link like:

Example link

Nothing happens on the device. Also when the screen is getting big and scrollbars appear on the screen, we cannot use those scrollbars. When we also activate jQuery Mobile we cannot use any of the controls that jQuery Mobile provides.
NOTE: We create the setup for this version using the default win32 builds: rake device:win32:production

We are seeing these problems on the following Hardware:
- HP ElitePad 900 G1 tablet (our primary testing device)
- Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet (a device from one of our customers).
Both are running Windows 8.1 with the latest updates available through Windows Update. And both devices rely on the Touch screen for input.

We have tried several things:

1. Check RhoStudio versions:
- RhoStudio 4.0 -> Works.
- RhoStudio 4.1 -> Does not work.
- RhoStudio 4.2 -> Does not work.
- RhoStudio 5.0 -> Does not work.
It looks like a RhoStudio update broke this functionality somehow.

2. Create a new app from scratch.
- We see the same behaviour as in our application. I have attached the sample application to the post to reproduce the problems. When you build this application for a Windows8 tablet you can easily see that none of the links on the front screen work.
NOTE: This sample application does NOT use jQuery Mobile.

3. Try an usb mouse.
- When we connect an usb mouse to the device (with the supplied connector) the application seems to work, as long as you use the mouse to click. The screen stil does not respond to the touch input.

Our gues is that Touch events are not handled correctly on these devices.

Does anyone have any quick solutions for the problems we are seeing? Our customer is in no position to use USB mouses with their tablets since they are holding the tablet in their hands to work with (and it looks really silly using a mouse with a tablet).

Thanks, Bart

Please register or login to post a reply

6 Replies

J Joydeep Chakraborty

Hi Bart,
As the behavior is broken while upgrading from 4.x to 5.x, this will be  a bug either in QT library or in Rho Code.
1.Which version of QT library are you using?As far as I remember QT was upgraded from 4.7.4 to 5.1 while upgrading the RMS from 4.1 to 5.0. It may be related to QT 5.0 issue.
2.Can you try with latest QT binaries(say QT 5.5)? Do you know how to do that?
3. Is it only on Windows 8.1 or all Windows devices?

Regards,
Joydeep

J Joydeep Chakraborty

Hi Bart,
We have just investigated the issue.
It seems
RMS 4.0 uses QT 4.7.4
RMS 4.1 and above uses QT 5.1.1.

This is  issue with Rho code with QT 5.1.1 compatibility. This has been fixed in RMS 5.0.25.
Please use a version 5.0.25 and above. Should work

Please find below the commit link which fixes the issue. Hope this helps.
win32: webview touch events fixed · rhomobile/rhodes@cfaf592 · GitHub

Regards,
Joydeep

D Douglas Lise

Hi Bart.

I am having trouble with this same issue.
After a year, had you solved this problem?

Thanks in advance,

P Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Bart,
have you tried to set a fixed TCP/IP port and connect to that using IE?

just to see if there's any routing/firewall problem.
You can try to connect using one of the two URL:

http://127.0.0.1:/
http://localhost:/

this is usually routed internally depending on the platform:
rhodes/RhodesApp.cpp at master · rhomobile/rhodes · GitHub

~Pietro

B Bart Fukkink

Hello Pietro,

When attempting to open the page in Internet Explorer the application responds to nothing I try. I am getting no response from the buttons that I use.

I have also tried Google Chrome on the device, and in that it works as expected.

Bart

J Jon Tara

When attempting to open the page in Internet ExplorerSo, this implies that you were able to assign a fixed port, and can access the pages using Internet Explorer. You have a means to debug the HTML/CSS/Javascript, then.

I'm unfamiliar with IE developer tools, but I assume they are similar to those that come with Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. You should be able to see if some file failed to load, set breakpoints in JS code, etc.

Can you show an example of the HTML and/or javascript that isn't working?

What version of jQuery are you using? From the above, I gather you are not using jQuery Mobile? It's unclear from your post, I gather you intend to use JQM but you did some of the testing without it?

Also when the screen is getting big and scrollbars appear on the screen, we cannot use those scrollbarsThe screen should not be "getting big". That's the browser's adaptive behavior for websites that were designed for desktop. Presumably, your pages were not designed for desktop. Did you include the recommended tag? (When using jQuery Mobile, that is.)

As well, I've seen this suggested when working with IE. This will keep it in "modern standard" mode, and avoid failing back to emulating earlier IE quirks.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?