Printer Selection When Web Printing With ZPL

// Expert user has replied.
B Bernie Hunt 2 years 11 months ago
4 1 0

I have a decent number of Zebra printers that are all network based and I'm moving my printing methods from .Net Report Viewer to ZPL. The application is intranet based, so the print request will be coming from the server. Obviously then printer selection has to be done at the server level.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to best set up workstation to printer associations in this type environment?

My first thought is to maintain a database table of all the printers in the system and then make associations between workstation IDs and the printers they use. Then a simple database call before printing gives me the information. This is straight forward but I want to make sure I'm not missing a better way.

Thanks,
Bernie
PS: Thanks for all the tips on direct ZPL to the printer, its works much better than trying to go though windows!

Please register or login to post a reply

1 Replies

G Gregory Pawlik

Hi Bernie,

If the IP addresses on your printers are static, then I think your solution is fine.

If they are running DHCP, you’ll have to take into consideration updating you data base with the most current IP address of the printers and have them associated with a unique ID of the printer such as its MAC address.

Greg

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?