After including EMDK app is incompatible with other devices

M Matteo Ambrosi 3 years ago
37 2 0

Hi,
I'm developing an application with Xamarin.Forms for TC51 Zebra device.
The application now includes the EMDK library because I need to intercept the barcode scanner event.
Now I have 2 problems:

1) If I try to execute the application in a different device (for example a Samsung Galaxy S4) the application crash on startup. But I need that it will be compatible also with smartphone (in this case I use the camera for barcode scanning), is it possible?
2) I don't know how to send captured scan event from Android project to Portable Xamarin Forms project. I tried with MessagingCenter but I think I'm doing something wrong.
Can you post an example of how to do that? I found only example with Xamarin.Android.

If is impossible to solved these 2 points, is there another way to intercept the scan event in Xamarin.Forms portable project without using EMDK library?

Thanks!

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Hi,

I suspect the first point is not possible with a Xamarin application.  When the EMDK for Xamarin component is built I suspect the dependencies are declared at that stage which prevent it being run on non-Zebra devices. 

Have you considered using DataWedge to capture your data?  About DataWedge - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .  DataWedge is a zero code solution supported on all Zebra devices and you can receive scanned barcodes via intent or key strokes; this way you also avoid having to worry about your second issue.  You can still use the camera for barcode scanning on the Samsung device as you do currently, presumably by checking for device manufacturer and only using Zxing (or similar) if it is a non-Zebra device.

M Matteo Ambrosi

Hi Darryn,
thanks for your reply.
Where I can find a C# example of using DataWedge solution? I think it can be the best solution for me that I want to develope a cross platform and cross device application.

Thanks!

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?