how to get root access

// Expert user has replied.
V Vedsatx Saddvv 2 years 11 months ago
1991 8 0

Hello,

I have a device as a tc 75 with android 6.0.
I used visual studio 2015 and xamarin for to make an app.

I know a little ADB utility and i can get the host file locate under system/etc ...
I have added some links into this file with notepad++.

Now, i would like to PUSH this file to return home
I would like to push this file under system/etc but every time i receive some error :

adb: error: failed to copy 'd:\android\hosts' to 'system/etc/hosts': Read-only file system

How i can push a file to the system root folder or system/etc ...
How i can have the root right ?

thanks for your time
Christophe

Please register or login to post a reply

8 Replies

M Michal Vartiak

Hello, i also need to edit the hosts file, because we dont run our own DNS and i just need to ad one entry into hosts file.
thanks
Mike

M Michal Vartiak

hi Pietro, editing hostname is not the same as editing HOSTS file that Cristophe requested. I am in that situation too, where i need to edit the hosts file, because i need to add a single entry and we do not run any private DNS server. I digged through the whole stagenow tool, althoug great options, there is no CUSTOM DNS / hosts in MX. Pity zebra pity :-(

M Matthew Petch

I'm wondering the same thing!
Need root access or have our app installed to the system partition as part of staging so that the app can silently update, without user prompts

A Andreas Fauerbach

Hi,

There is no root access and the system partition is mounted read only by default.
Host names usually are resolved via DNS.
Is there a particular reason, why you need entries in the hosts file?

C Christophe BERNARD

Hello Andreas,
ok thanks for this information ...

I'm a developer, for me network is complicate sorry

Some colleague ask me to add the ipaddress - url of a web site inside the host file that is for the reason
in this hosts file we can for example unauthorized facebook and so on ...so we'd like to update the host file

thanks

P Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Christophe,
we try to make as hard as possible to root our devices as this action leave the device open to security risk.

Our solution to configure this devices (and the hostname that you're asking about in particular) using our Mobility eXtensions (Mx):
About MX - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

to change the hostname of the device you can use:
http://techdocs.zebra.com/mx/hostsmgr/

Let me know if this cover your request.

~Pietro

C Christophe BERNARD

Hello pietro,
thanks for your fast reply that's great , i've looks but i think it's complicate ...
i will try later i think

thanks

b bob cov

Hi, polite inquiry: If I own my $600 device, do I get to decide the level of risk I will accept by doing something such as rooting it? It was not stated that it is impossible, so how would I proceed? Or is the Zebra like a Tesla: you buy it, but you never own it?  I hope it is not a Tesla!

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?