Browser Print Error - Possibly Security Issue

I have a web app that prints to a usb connected Zebra Printer. Everything works fine from my dev machine over http. However, when I try to use from a remote web server over https I get this error.

An error occured while attempting to connect to your Zebra Printer. You may not have Zebra Browser Print installed, or it may not be running. Install Zebra Browser Print, or start the Zebra Browser Print Service, and try again.

Browser Print is running, because I can go to my local version of the site and it works.

I see this in the Chrome Developer Tools:

I tried to go to https://localhost:9101/ssl_support

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from localhost (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

I can click Advanced and proceed to localhost (unsafe) but then it says Nor Secure for my whole website.
What is the easiest way to get this working over https?
Manuel Caicedo-...
Mike,You have done everything

Mike,

You have done everything right so far, Browser Print will be updated soon with some improvements for this type of messages. We do not have a released date yet for this new version, but it is coming soon. We will notify you when this new version has been released.

Thanks,

MC

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Albino Noynay
Hi MC,Good day!Badly need

Hi MC,

Good day!

Badly need this also. Please notify me if the new version already released.

Thank you very much

-Albino

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Olaf van der Kaa
Any updates on the release

Any updates on the release schedule for addressing these problems? We want to go to production with the integration of label printing, but we are waiting for this problem to be addressed, because like this we cannot really give this to our customers.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Manuel Caicedo-...
Yes, the latest version was

Yes, the latest version was updated last week on Browser Print product page

This release v 1.2.1.279 includes the following changes:

• The MAC installer is now signed.
  • Fixed an issue on MAC where the app could crash when switching USB connected printers.
  • Corrected an issue where some Chinese and Korean characters did not print.
  • Enhanced the demo application.
  • Improved behavior of the settings window on MAC so it appears in front of the active program.
  • HTTPS no longer uses a self-signed certificate. This removes the need to accept the certificate and removes the “Insecure” warning browsers displayed when using the self-signed certificate.

MC

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Elmar John Valmores
Hi Manuel, Thanks for the

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for the update. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 2.48.58 PM.png

I just tried the latest version (OSx) but I'm still getting the same SSL warning when I go to https://localhost:9101.

And it still marks the app as "Not secure" when I try to use it to print a barcode from our app.  

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 3.01.51 PM.png

I am using Chrome, btw. 

Cheers,

Elmar John N. Valmores

------

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from localhost (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

I can click Advanced and proceed to localhost (unsafe) but then it says Nor Secure for my whole website.

What is the easiest way to get this working over https?

------

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Zane Ouimet
I have the same issue. https:
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Manuel Caicedo-...
Yes, it happens when the web

Yes, it happens when the web-app is still pointing to the previous version of JavaScript, if you remove the old version, and use only the new version of JavaScript that comes with the new installation kit, it should work fine.

MC

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Elmar John Valmores
Hi Manuel, Thanks for the

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for the reply!  I updated everything and tried opening Sample/index.html in the package resources just to test the new version. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 12.13.55 PM.png

I can get the application configuration and the list of local devices BUT I can't send anything ( Send ZPL Label, Send Config Label ).  I get "Error: Failed to write to device" and the javascript console has this error:

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 12.15.02 PM.pngAm I missing something? Hope to hear from you soon.  thanks!

Cheers,

Elmar John N. Valmores

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Ensign
Hi Elmar,The sample page must

Hi Elmar,

The sample page must be delivered through a web server to function properly, and in your screenshot it looks like you are loading the page from a file on your local machine. Install Apache, IIS, Nginx, or another web server and access the files through the server and it should function properly.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Elmar John Valmores
Hi Christopher,Before I

Hi Christopher,

Before I posted that I already tried it in my RoR app. 

I updated the BrowserPrint js and  in my js script i just called "selected_device.sendUrl(url, undefined, errorCallback)" which was working in the old version. 

When I updated I started getting the same "Error: Failed to write to device" error. 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Ensign
Hi Elmar,We added a

Hi Elmar,

We added a restriction to the sendUrl command that prevents sending an HTTP url from a site that was loaded using HTTPS. Is your application using this behavior?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Elmar John Valmores
Nope.  our app is not

Nope.  our app is not behaving like that.

Ok..... its working now.  I had 2 zebra printers installed (2824+ which I was using before and the zd410 I am using for testing right now ). 

I uninstalled the 2824 printer, uninstalled BrowserPrint using the .sh uninstall script provided, then reinstalled BrowserPrint and did

the setup as instructed. 

Not sure if the 2 zebra printers installed was the issue but its working now. 

Thanks!!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mike Roosa
What is the model of your

What is the model of your printer? Is it one of the supported models? That's the problem I'm having.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Elmar John Valmores
I have the zebra zd410. 

I have the zebra zd410. 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Manuel Caicedo-...
Hi Elmar,ZD410 is supported.

Hi Elmar,

ZD410 is supported. Please, follow Christopher's directions, here, below the Steven's blog explaining in detail how to setup the environment correctly to test the new version of Browser Print.

MC

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’