Android Studio and EDMK installation not working

// Expert user has replied.
C Chris Radder 2 years 11 months ago
19 4 0

We have a development machine configured with Android Studio 2.2.2 and EDMK 6.0

This configuration has been working fine for years.

We are now installing a new laptop and development environment - Android Studio 3.1.4 and EDMK 6.3

Issue: When the EDMK is installed and the EDMK option is at the top menu location, clicking on the "About" results in a Null Exception Error in the IDE.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.intellij.ide.SystemHealthMonitor.getActionName(SystemHealthMonitor.java:696)
at com.intellij.ide.SystemHealthMonitor.countActionInvocation(SystemHealthMonitor.java:603)
at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionManagerImpl.fireBeforeActionPerformed(ActionManagerImpl.java:1178)
at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem$ActionTransmitter.lambda$actionPerformed$0(ActionMenuItem.java:319)
at com.intellij.openapi.wm.impl.FocusManagerImpl.runOnOwnContext(FocusManagerImpl.java:911)
at com.intellij.openapi.wm.impl.IdeFocusManagerImpl.runOnOwnContext(IdeFocusManagerImpl.java:136)
at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem$ActionTransmitter.actionPerformed(ActionMenuItem.java:311)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem.lambda$fireActionPerformed$0(ActionMenuItem.java:130)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.TransactionGuardImpl.runSyncTransaction(TransactionGuardImpl.java:88)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.TransactionGuardImpl.lambda$submitTransaction$1(TransactionGuardImpl.java:111)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.TransactionGuardImpl.submitTransaction(TransactionGuardImpl.java:120)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.TransactionGuard.submitTransaction(TransactionGuard.java:122)
at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem.fireActionPerformed(ActionMenuItem.java:130)
at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI.doClick(BegMenuItemUI.java:521)
at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI.access$300(BegMenuItemUI.java:48)
at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI$MyMouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BegMenuItemUI.java:541)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6541)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6306)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2237)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4897)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2295)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4719)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4889)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4526)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4467)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2281)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4719)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:764)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:98)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:737)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:735)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:734)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.defaultDispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:822)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue._dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:646)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:366)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Also, selecting "Profile Manager" - nothing happens.

I have used the Symbol EDMK for Android Studio, Integrator to try and get the EDMK installed correctly. When run, the text box shows the Android Studio path and Android SDK path as "Not Installed!". When I ask it to integrate, It says that it completed successfully. The next time you run the integrator, it still says "Not Installed!". The existing, working environment shows the correct path.(2.2.2 and EDMK 6.0)

I have tried this several times, including reboots in between and also running as Administrator from the command prompt. (I am administrator on this machine).

Help would be appreciated as we need to move to new laptops and development environments.

I am supporting a MC9200 so I need KitKat support.

Please register or login to post a reply

4 Replies

C CHARITHA MALLAWAARACHCHI

Hi All
EMDK Plugin 7.4.1 is compatible with Android Studio 3.5 and the plugin will be available in JetBrains repository in few days time.
Thanks for all your queries and appreciate your patience.

L Larry Stanton

Trying to download the newest version of EMDK 7.4.1 for Android Studio 3.5.x and the download only contains up to 7.3!!? Also, using the plugin from the repository we're getting the EMDK Profile Manager - "EMDK Wizard Failed to Load" error. Can some please address this!!?

T Toni Garabedyan

Even EMDK for Android v7.4.0 not working with latest Android Studio 3.5. All tree menues show same label - "EMDK Profile Manager" and when you click on them, the message is simply "The EMDK Wizard Failed to Load". I agree that this is incompatibility issue.

V Vedsatx Saddvv

Hi Chris,

I suspect there is an incompatibility between Android Studio 3.1 and EMDK 6.3.  I don't believe it is possible to download an old version of Android Studio.

Presumably this is Windows?
The EMDK comes in two parts, the SDK and the IDE plugin.
- You can install the Android Studio plugin as a standard IntelliJ plugin, EMDK for Android - Plugins | JetBrains .  The plugin supports all the old versions of MX so there won't be an issue using the latest plugin for your development.  That should fix the problems with the IDE EMDK menu, though you may have to first remove the existing Plugin manually (I'm sorry but I can't remember where that folder is - it is somewhere in the Android Studio installation)
- The SDK add-ons should be present in your Android SDK add-ons directory, mine is C:\Users\darry\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\add-ons and you should see addon-symbol_emdk-symbol-XX in there.  If they are present then there is an incompatibility between Android Studio and EMDK 6.3, if they are absent then the EMDK did not install correctly or to the right location.  You could resolve this incompatibility adding the EMDK to your app as described at EMDK for Android Programming Practices - Zebra Technologies Techdocs  and I have an example of one of my apps where I do this at WakeLock_WifiLock_Exerciser/build.gradle at master · darryncampbell/WakeLock_WifiLock_Exerciser · GitHub

Please let me know if that helps,
Darryn.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?