Data wedge and EMDK (disable and enable scanning).

// Expert user has replied.
R Raven Supilanas 2 years 11 months ago
195 4 0

Hi my question ,

Is there a possible way of turning off the data wedge (scanning) programmatically when my activity in Xamarin Android is on the login page then after log in my scanning activity in Xamarin Android enables the scanning using EMDK scanner?

Thanks.

Raven Supilanas

Please register or login to post a reply

4 Replies

A Albert Jasinski

Currently I'm using DataWedge to scan barcode into text field of web-app.I'm not planning to change DW for EMDK, but I wish to prevent scanning anything in "meantime" when content of web-app is not fully loaded yet.I was thinking to disable scanner by DataWedge API when content is still loading (app displays loading animation) and enable it again when content is loaded.My question is: Should I disable/enable DataWedge in total by using something like this:

Intent i = new Intent();i.setAction("com.symbol.datawedge.api.ACTION");i.putExtra("com.symbol.datawedge.api.ENABLE_DATAWEDGE", false);context.this.sendBroadcast(i);

or maybe there is another DW API command that would disable/enable hardware trigger when its needed?
Another idea was to switch profiles between quiet and normal - but in this case I would have to set these profiles up in all devices (or by app which means more programming)
Thanks

D Darryn Campbell

Hi Albert, you will be better off using the Scanner Input Plug-in API to disable / enable scanning in the situation you describe: Scanner Input Plug-in - Zebra Technologies TechDocs .  This API will disable / enable the barcode plugin of the DataWedge profile and it will be quicker than disabling / re-enabling the entirety of DataWedge

M Matt Dermody

DataWedge is controllable via Intent driven APIs:

DataWedge APIs - Zebra Technologies TechDocs

G Gabriel Chavez

This is a terribly unhelpful reply.

I'm having the same problem.  I've written a service to handle barcoding and I don't want to use Datawedge.  I all barcoding in my app to be accomplished via the EMDK.  Since I can't fiddle with each device my app may be installed on, I need to block Datawedge from within my app.

You linked a page with a list of links.  If you can't actually provide an answer or an example, could you please narrow it down to where in that giant list of information the solution to disabling Datawedge when using EMDK is?

Thanks,
Gabe

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?