OTA Update Delivery
The LifeGuard OTA Update Delivery application provides the ability for an Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) server to control the enrollment and deployment of the 'last mile' delivery of Operating System (OS) updates to Zebra mobile devices.
To update the device, the EMM first determines what software is on the device by reading the Build ID from the device. This is performed by requesting detailed device information from the client. The BuildID is a critical value that can be used to compare the OS version running on the device to the newest version available.
The current standard for the BuildID allows the EMM to identify:
- Baseline OS version
- Patch version
- Google Mobile Services (GMS) vs. Non Google Mobile Services (NGMS)
- Android flavor
- STD - standard vs. non-standard
Example of a Build ID
- Baseline: “01-18-02.00”
- OG (Oreo/GMS)
- O – Oreo
- G – GMS
- Patch level: U02
- U – update
- 02 – Patch 02
- STD – Standard release
- Use of the last mile OTA APIs is limited to ONLY authorized EMM clients.
- The device must be properly enrolled. See the Zebra Device Enrollment Step by Step Guide for more details.
- Devices must be running Android Nougat or higher.
- A valid authorization bearer token has been obtained.
- A valid access token has been obtained.
Steps to Achieve Deployment of Mobile Devices for Operating System Updates
1. Query the enrolled device information using Retrieve Device List with Metadata API.*
2. Find applicable OS/LG updates using OTA Update Access API
3. Perform OS/LG update using Create Deployment API.
Refer to the Zebra OTA API Developer Guide for more details.
Service Level Offerings (SLOs)
Based on pricing plan selected.
Basic = 1 call every 2 seconds
Average is < 200ms.
Support: Visit the Forums or Help.
A Zebra application key is required for using and testing this API. See the Getting Started Guide for instructions on obtaining a key.
Information for the End User
Refer to the Release Notes for details.
The Zebra OTA API Integration and Troubleshooting Guide can be found here.
The Zebra OTA API Developer Guide can be found here.