For a PDF version which includes the images missing from the text below and also the required utilities , please download this file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J_R41LTNbZWwdJHlaUOIgJugQZun2utn/view?…
EHS Cradle Switch Configuration
Zebra EMEA Nov 21
This guide details a method to reconfigure a Zebra device for two different EHS configurations which will automatically be selected when the device is placed in and out of a cradle i.e. when external power is detected and lost. It is mainly intended for use with a vehicle cradle but can also be used with a standard desktop cradle if required (the EHS configuration switch will occur with any cradle providing external power to the device).
The main purpose of this utility is that the end user is locked into a specific subset of authorised applications when the device is docked in a cradle for safety reasons i.e. so that the user is not distracted when driving a vehicle . For example, in the default demo configuration only Gmaps and Phone are allowed but some customers may prefer to have only Gmaps (for navigation) and not the Phone app and others may prefer to disable access to all applications whilst driving (in which case the EHS launcher screen will be empty).
1. Compatible with latest A10 and A11 OS releases and should work on most Zebra Android devices including TC2x , TC5x , TC7x and EC5x
2. Note that the utilities associated with this configuration (apart from EHS itself) are unofficial/unsupported i.e. use at your own risk.
3. Configure an internet connection on device and scan the StageNow barcode below to install (recommended to clean boot the device beforehand although this is not essential) :
4. When device boots to EHS , you will see the screen below which is the default handheld EHS configuration containing a selection of apps for test & demo. Additional apps can be added to this home screen using the steps detailed at the end of this document
5. Place in cradle ( or connect to external power via a USB cable) – display automatically switches to desktop/cradle configuration which has a minimal set of apps which are approved for use in a car (in this case Google Maps for navigation and Phone for handsfree calls). The default wallpaper changes in order to indicate to the user that a new configuration has been applied.
6. Removing unit from cradle will automatically reload the EHS handheld configuration
Modifying default EHS configurations
1. To change the EHS configuration in either handheld or desktop/cradle mode , edit the following EHS config files:
Desktop/cradle : /sdcard/dt_enterprisehomescreen.xml
Note that if the current EHS configuration is modified manually via Admin mode , the changes will be written to /enterprise/usr/enterprisehomescreen.xml only and this file will be overwritten each time the device is inserted or removed from the cradle. In order to make changes persist, copy the current /enterprise/usr/enterprisehomescreen.xml file to either /sdcard/hh_enterprisehomescreen.xml or /sdcard/dt_enterprisehomescreen.xml depending upon which mode is active when you make the changes.
2. To change the default wallpapers , replace the images in the following files:
3. For test and demo there is a shortcut in the EHS Tools menu named DefaultLauncherToggle which will immediately exit back to the default Android launcher. In order to return to EHS, run this app again from the Android program launcher and EHS should restart immediately.
4. Default EHS Admin password is not set i.e. just press OK at the Admin password prompt
5. Before using in a live customer deployment , check the settings made in each EHS config file in order to disable any of the default settings/utils which allow easy access to the OS . These are noted in the comments in each EHS XML file
6. The component files used in the demo profile together with the XML for the profile itself are available at the link below: