Click Here to receive the SimulScan Pilot/Deployment Readiness E-Book
This section assumes the reader has a basic knowledge of what SimulScan is and the features it supports. For those not aware, please visit the .
Ensure your device has the latest release for the best performance
|SimulScan is currently supported and pre-installed on the devices listed . Since it comes pre-installed on those devices, we recommend that users check the Zebra Support portal to get access to the latest device BSP and SimulScan release.|
Open the SimulScan Demo App to Preview and Test Functionality
There is an easy to use demo application built into the OS to help you become familiar with and test the SimulScan functionality out of the box on our supported devices. To familiarize yourself with the demo app, you can watch the videos or review the posted here. For your convenience, the demo app includes multiple templates that have already been developed and can be used out of the box with the demo app. Please print the templates to use with the demo app. The two templates are attached below.
Postal/ T&L Form
Postal/ T&L.pdf showcases Mixed Data Type Solutions:
Manufacturing Form.pdf to showcase Multi-Barcoding
- Detect the Presence of Signatures
- Simplify Workflows & Automate data entry with
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR).
- English, Spanish, German, French & Portuguese are supported
- Checked Fields via Optical Mark Recognition [OMR].
- Check boxes, radio buttons & bubbles are supported
- Decode up to 10 Barcodes in One Scan
- All the enterprise grade barcode symbologies are supported. Symbologies and parameters configurable via an intuitive UI in the Template Builder. Please print out the .pdfs attached to this blog and try them out with the Showcase app.
- Real-time data processing on the device with no backend connectivity required
Create your own Template
Once you are familiar with the features, the next step is to create a template for a form you would like to capture. is a video demonstrating how to use our Cloud Based Template Builder (https://simulscan.zebra.com/) to create a template. Once you have logged in, you will need to decide what type of template you will create. Next, upload an image of your form to create your own template. Please leverage the Help Doc in the Template Builder by pressing F1.
Once created, the templates need to be downloaded locally to your computer in order to (mass) deploy to your device(s). There are two ways to deploy the file to your device.
Side Load or
Push via MDM
Over Wifi for use with the Demo app or
for Programmatic access
- For use by DataWedge, push the templates to "/enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/templates" folder on the device using either ‘adb push’ or ‘USB sync’ or your preferred staging/MDM tool.
- For the Demo App to access the template, place the folder in the external storage folder, SimulScan, Templates folder (with ADB, push via "Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()/simulscan/templates").
- On the TB, ensure that template is "Released" via settings menu and copy the template over to the "username\Release" folder.
- Launch the Demp app -> My template -> Select from server -> select the template. This will download the templates to the SimulScan Template folder in the external storage.
Test your Template on your Device
You can validate if your template works using the Demo app -> My Template or Showcase app -> Menu -> Setup Custom Demo options and point to your template.
As the Showcase app shows the results of the template, it can be leveraged to validate your template without writing a single line of code
Incorporate SimulScan within your Application
SimulScan can be leveraged from within your application via EMDK for Android or DataWedge API’s. The template validated from Step 4 can be pointed to using DW and incorporated within your app. The complete operation of bringing up the camera, guiding the end-user through the capture and processing the data is abstracted within the SimulScan software. The UI is the exact same UI as seen in the Showcase App. All the user app needs to do is set the right template using DataWedge. Once captured and processed, the results are returned to the user-app correspondingly for the next level of processing – ex: form filling, inventory management etc.
All the processing is additionally performed locally on the device without requiring any online connectivity. It is up to the end-user app on how to handle the returned results as a name-value pair of the various data parsed.
Visit the section for More information.
Installing your license
If you are using features that require a license, please follow the Steps found on the