The article here (https://developer.zebra.com/community/technologies/mobile_computing/blog/2017/06/02/second-revised-method-for-deploying-stagenow-profiles-to-a-remote-ftp-server ) describes a method of deploying StageNow profiles to a remote FTP server - this article supercedes the previous one and simplifies the process considerably as the files will be automatically deployed to the specified remote FTP server. Note that this method and supplied tools are unreleased/unsupported i.e. use at your own risk.
Revised StageNow Remote Conversion Process November 17
- Create profile and test with local server. Do not use any of the Wizards during the profile creation as they may add some steps which could cause an issue when the profile is modified i.e. just use the Xpert mode to select exactly which steps are required for the profile.
2. Create a folder on your PC (e.g Documents\StageNowCodes\remote) and unzip the contents of the attached file ‘snremote new utils v3.zip’ to this folder. Run the installer ‘new_md5_create_install.exe’ to install the XML processing utility.
3. Export profile via the ‘Export for StageNow’ option (using the export button available from the All Profiles screen or at the Publish screen) . Select the destination folder to be the same folder in which you have unzipped the contents of ‘snremote new utils v3.zip’
4. If you want to deploy to a public FTP server , open a command prompt in your root folder and type the command:
‘Prep filename’ where filename is the name of your exported profile (with no zip extension)
This will unzip the profile contents in a sub-folder (using the same name as the profile) , calculate the file MD5 checksums, modify the exported profile XML file and then deploy the required files to the remote server. When prompted , press OK twice during the process – this just confirms the file paths which will be used to deploy the files and the file to import after processing. At this point the required files will be automatically deployed to the specified server via FTP i.e. make sure that FTP access is allowed on the development machine.
5. If you want to deploy to your own FTP server, edit the prep.bat file and change the FTP logon details in the argument to ncftpput as shown in the file comments (below) :
rem username password hostname rootfolder
ncftpput -R -m -u ab_airsetup.com -p airbeam1 airsetup.com stagenow %1
Note that FPT usernames in the form of an email address (i.e. with an @ symbol) are not allowed
6 .In StageNow , select the All Profiles screen and then the import profile button below:
7. Select the modified _myprofile.xml file from the working folder (i.e. the folder you unzipped the utilities to) – note that the modified profile has the same name as the exported profile with a preceding underscore.
8. Profile will be imported under the original name with a '_1' postfix
9. Select Home to see the imported profile. Select the profile and change the name via the pen icon next to the existing name. Use a prefix to the existing name e.g. rem_ indicates this is a remotely hosted profile
10. Select Complete Profile and generate the barcodes. Do not attempt to edit the modified profile as StageNow will not support edit of a profile modified in this way. If you need to change the profile, delete the existing remote profile , edit the original local profile , and then follow Step 3 onwards to process. Note that to avoid multiple file versions it is best to manually delete the existing profile folder in your working folder and also delete the all the files/folders deployed to the remote FTP server.
11. Ensure you have a preconfigured internet connection on the target device, run StageNow and scan the generated barcode. If the profile fails with an error, try again in case there was a network disconnect. If failure persists ,
snremote new utils v3.zip 862.0 K