Connecting to RS5100

I'm attempting to connect our application to use an RS5100.

Environment

Mostly TC-70 and TC-70x running 4.4, 5.0, 7.1.2
EMDK version 6.6

Currently we use the EMDK to connect to the internal scanner and send the application barcode events. We've been doing this for years and have had no issues. What I'm trying to do now is add an RS5100 as an "extension" to that so for specific tasks our users can add a finger scanner for easier use.

I have an RS5100 and when I try and connect to it using this code (adapter from zebra tutorials):

val deviceList = barcodeManager?.supportedDevicesInfo

for (scanner in barcodeManager?.supportedDevicesInfo ?: listOf()) {
if (scanner.friendlyName.equals("Bluetooth Scanner", ignoreCase = true)) {
fingerScanner = barcodeManager?.getDevice(scanner)
fingerScanner?.addStatusListener(statusListener)
fingerScanner?.addDataListener(dataListener)
fingerScanner?.enable()
break
}
}

When that happens the application pushes to the Bluetooth Paring Utility where I it asked for the scanner to scan a barcode to pair. The side scanner (big yellow button on the side) does not respond, so I have to use the top button to scan it, the blue lights flash and beep and the pairing is successful. I'm then redirected back to my application where the status listener I add to the scanner object in code receives an error, but no error message :(

I'm having trouble finding any more documentation on what could be going wrong or what other options I have to get this connected.

Thanks in advance for your help

Darryn Campbell
>The side scanner (big yellow

>The side scanner (big yellow button on the side) does not respond

The yellow button on the side of the RS5100, correct?  If that is not enabling the scanner then perhaps the RS5100 is paired to another device, you could try scanning the unpairing barcode (page 80 of this doc: https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/en-us/manuals/mobile-computers/rs5100/rs5100-prg-en.pdf) .  Also, make sure the RS5100 is in SSI mode (by scanning the second barcode on page 48 of that same doc).

You have probably seen it but this sample app, https://github.com/ZebraDevs/samples-emdkforandroid-7_3/tree/master/BarcodeSample1, will work with BT ring scanners, if that sample does not work it is some issue with your ring scanner configuration, if that sample does work then the likely root cause is with your app.

Darryn.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Charles Berlin
Thank you for your help,

Thank you for your help, unpairing and doing a clean boot allowed the left button to start working, however I'm still unable to get it connected to the app. I experience the same issue with the barcode sample you provided. When I try and connect it sends me to the Bluetooth Pairing Utility, which asks me to scan a barcode to pair, which I do with the finger scanner, the system asks me to pair, which I agree to, and then the scanner no longer responds to either button and the app never recognizes the scanner is connected.

I tried scanning the SSI mode barcode before attempting the connection and that didn't work either.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Darryn Campbell
It sounds like you are doing

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

From the sample app, you are selecting "Bluetooth scanner", correct?  Running it on my device I see many options including "Bluetooth scanner" and "RS5100 Bluetooth Scanner" - I did not know that the "RS5100 Bluetooth Scanner" existed until now, I have always used "Bluetooth scanner" for this model.

So, try both :) If neither work then unfortunately I think you will need to contact Zebra tech support for additional help 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Charles Berlin
The issue was the OS on my

The issue was the OS on my device did not support RS5100. After updating my device to a compatible version I was able to connect to the scanner.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’