MC55 & Visual Studio - how get development going?

Hi all,

I need to create some little programs for a MC55A0. While I am not so new to development with Visual Studio, C# and .net, I never had a MC55 before, nor any other Windows based mobile device. "About" says it is a "Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 Classic", OS is CE OS 5.2.29344. There is also a tool "SOTI MobiControl" on the device, all I could find out about it is that the guy responsible for mobile devices says that it is some kind of remote management tool and that it has been disabled so I can administer the device. Seems so, since I can reach the OS main screen without any restrictions, play with settings, and so on. I cannot turn on the WiFi, however.

Unfortunately reliable infos for such an old thing are hard to find, and so I am stuck and need some initial help to get on how to drag together a development platform and how I do connect the device to my computer for development and debugging.

What I have installed so far (info from the readme of EMDK 2.8 - i picked this version because on Stack Overflow (?) I found a comment that this was the last version with support for the MC55 series) is:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Visual Studio 2008 Pro, EMDK-C-020801, emdk-m-020802, Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional Developer Tool Kit (USA), Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK Refresh. I am not happy about the Windows 10 platform, it was forced upon me by corporate standard, for this project I could downgrade to Windows 7 or Windows XP, if I need to.

On the hardware side I connected the MC55 via USB 2.0. A new device "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter" does appear. Nothing else seems to happen. I found infos that some "Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center" should be installed and take over, but unfortunately this software doesn't seem to be available for Windows 10. How do I need to proceed from here? In Visual Studio no suitable device seems to get active, I tried to connect to several devices, Windows Mobile 6, Windows CE, but I keep getting an error "The remote procedure call has failed". Do I need to setup a network connection first, is USB not good enough?

I did also try to connect the MC55 to my WLAN. If I tap "Wireless-Manager - Wi-Fi", which is currently "off", I get kind of a spinning Windows logo, and, after a couple of seconds, the logo goes away, but Wi-Fi obviously is not turned on, on screen it does still say "off". Somehow I expected a list of WiFi networks and some way to connect to one, but this doesn't occur.

So far, so not so good, I am afraid I need help from experienced MC55 gurus.

Would anyone please help me to get the MC55 connected and ready for a quick "Hello World" from Visual Studio? I guess once I got that far, I find my ways.

Many thanks for helo,

Armin.

Darryn Campbell
Hi,

Hi,

You are really close!

If you downgrade your PC to Windows 7 or XP you can use Windows Device Center (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/931937/description-of-windows-mobile-device-center) or ActiveSync to connect to the device. Once you are connected Visual Studio 2008 Professional will recognise your device as a deployment target.  I'm pretty certain Windows 10 does not support connection to Windows Embedded Handheld or WinCE devices.

Your EMDK installation will contain some sample apps that you can use to get started (under the user profile I think they get installed to - check your start menu).  There is an EMDK for .NET if you would rather use that than the EMDK for C since you said your experience is in .NET (https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/software/developer-tools/emdk-for-net.html).

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Armin Linder
Hi Darryn,

Hi Darryn,

thanks for your quick and encouraging reply! So I'll get myself a Windows 7 box tomorrow and see how things go.

Best Regards from Bavaria,

Armin.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’