FX7500 embedded C sample app compile problem

Hi,

I'm attempting to work with the FX7500 RFID reader and need to develop an app for the reader that does a seemingly simple thing ... it just needs to read tags and POST to a URL. Sounds simple enough, or so I thought.

I followed the C embedded SDK instructions, installed the SDK DEB package. Launched Eclipse and so far everything was going according to the instructions in the SDK guide. However, I am encountering a problem when trying to build the RFIDSample4App-C project. I have not been able to find any information about this error, so I'm turning here to this developer community to ask for your help and/or guidance on how to resolve this issue.

When I click "build project" in Eclipse, the result is "Build Failed. 2 errors, 507 warnings."

I think I can ignore the warnings, even though they are unexpected. The documents say nothing of these warnings or errors.

The two errors are:

/usr/share/Zebra-FXSeries-Embedded-Native-SDK-C-CPP_Linux/tools/armhfp-gnueabi/bin../libexec/arm-montavista-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-montavista-linux-gnueabi/6.4.0/ld: cannot find -l/usr/share/Zebra-FXSeries-Embedded-Native-SDK-C-CPP_Linux/RFID_C_API/lib/librfidapi32.so

make: *** [makefile:33: RFIDSample4App-C] Error 1

I do not however see the problem, because librfidapi32.so is present at that path. What could the problem be? Has anyone encountered this before?

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 on Hyper-V

Any help is greatly appreciated. It seems like reading tags and posting to a URL is a function/feature which should already exist, but also I'm not experienced in C development on Linux, so I think this is going to be a bit tough for me to pull off. Alternatively, does anyone know of any existing 3rd party apps or examples for how to accomplish this? I'm kinda stuck without any help here, so thank you in advance!

--Chris B.

Robin West
Try Cloud Connect for RFID

Hi Christopher, Unfortunately I can't help with the embedded C app, but starting next week there will be a new version of FX reader firmware that will do this much more easily.  We will have a pay-for service to get tag reads in the cloud through webhooks, or there will be a method to configure your reader to do it locally.  https://developer.zebra.com/blog/announcing-cloud-connect-rfid   You can talk to your Zebra account team to get demo access.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Bradford
Thanks Robin, that is very

Thanks Robin, that is very interesting. I would like to review the new firmware as this is possibly the solution I need ... I'm not sure however who my "Zebra account team" would be. Who should I contact?

To add some additional information for the issue I outlined above, I attempted to manually run ld in the given directory using --verbose option and the messages say, "attempt to open /var/jenkins_home/workspace/YoctoToolchainBuildPipeline-exec-64-morty/toolchainbuild/toolbuild/... (full path not included here) ... BUT, obviously this is wrong. If the path is specified in -l parameter, why is it looking somewhere completely else and not at the specified path? I suppose I could symlink from the "jenkins_home" path to the correct path for the library, but again, the instructions say nothing of this. I can't be the only person in the world trying to develop and integrate this reader, so I am finding this to be quite frustrating.

Thanks for your help!

--Chris B.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’