Lost in the sea of dead ends - FX series RFID reader FX7500

Help! I'm drowning in a sea of dead ends ... I'm tasked with integrating this reader into an existing system, but no methods of integration have worked thus far and I'm already 2 weeks lost at sea!

I have an FX7500 reader on loan, works great. Web interface works, SSH works, so far so good. For my integration, I simply need to read a tag and POST to a URL. We normally do this with other readers via .NET middleware or embedded methods.

This is my first foray into the FX series readers ...

First, I tried to integrate via the embedded C SDK. Followed the directions, installed entire Ubuntu distro, Eclipse IDE ... everything looked good, until the part where the example app gets compiled and the RFID library can't be found by the compiler, even though the file is present. Broken toolchain = dead end.

Then, I was told the new firmware has a "cloud connect" feature and that would do what I needed... so after waiting a few days to finally evaluate the new firmware, "cloud connect" is not what I'm looking for = dead end.

Then, I discover there's already an app called "FX Connect" that should do what I need, but the price of $250/reader = dead end.

I then look for other embedded methods, like perhaps bash or python scripting. Curl is present, so we can POST... python is present, ok. but no bash tools or scripts available on the reader for RFID or LLRP. Tried sllurp python tools, but can't get past the install steps, plus no python experience = dead end. no docs of course.

Trying .net SDK for hosted application, aka "middleware" ... would probably be the path of least resistance as we currently use other .net based RFID middlewares, BUT ZEBRA DOCS ARE MISSING FROM THE ZEBRA WEBSITE!! There are no documents or examples of how to actually use the .net SDK. = DEAD END.

So seriously ... can anyone help? I need something ... something I'm missing and can't identify. A clue perhaps. Some .NET SDK docs and examples would be great for starters if anyone has that. OR, a working example of an embedded solution, perhaps scriptable tools or a working embedded C toolchain. (The compiler and libraries and examples for embedded development could be part of the default OS firmware, would be the simplest.) Perhaps that and some command line tools for llrp would make this reader much easier to approach.

Christopher Bradford
Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks for the help everyone! Check this out: C:\Program Files\Zebra RFID FXSeries Host .NET SDK is the path where the SDK installs. There are sample programs and everything there,, exactly what I've been trying to find for days. The most basic info, omitted from all documentation.

For those who might arrive here struggling to figure out where to begin with the .NET SDK .... start here: C:\Program Files\Zebra RFID FXSeries Host .NET SDK

Good luck.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Scott Porter
I'm also having problems finding good documentation...

I installed the .NET SDK as well, but these samples seem to be geared towards polling the reader for data. Have you figured out a way to configure the reader to send tag data to a web service without purchasing FX Connect?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’