How to disable on-screen keyboard and to use DataWedge with WT6000 + RS5000

Dear Community,

for the usecase - my question is related to - I use the Android device Zebra WT6000 with an external barcode scanner RS500 (Android 7.1).

I want to use Datawedge to scan barcodes for an installed app (developed by my company). The user should only be allowed to enter data with the barcode scanner, so all on-screen keyboards (especially AOSP) must be disabled.
If I disable AOSP and all others, Datawedge is not working anymore and it's not possible to scan. I also don't see DataWedge in the "Manage keyboards" section.

Is there an offical recommendation to keep the on-screen keyboard disabled without affecting the functionality of datawedge?
Does Zebra recommend to use a Null Keyboard for this usecase?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Thomas

Darryn Campbell
Hi, yes, we usually recommend

Hi, yes, we usually recommend customers use a NULL keyboard to achieve this.  There should be a DataWedge keyboard under 'Manage keyboards', what happens behind the scenes is that this IME is dynamically enabled whenever DataWedge wants to send keystrokes to the foreground application.  

If you are still having issues, plesae let me know how you are disabling your keyboards.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Nikolaus
Unfortunately DataWedge is

Unfortunately DataWedge is not listet as a keyboard in the "Manage Keyboard" section. I'm using android 7.1.

I've uploaded a screenshot here: https://www.directupload.net/file/d/6148/5c2hk9yq_jpg.htm -> This is the view when AOSP as the only keyboard is disabled and DataWedge shows the 'not ready' error.

In production we are disabling AOSP via the SOTI environment... but the error appears also, if I disable AOSP (as the only keybord) manually in the device settings.

- Is there an option to make DataWedge selectable in the "Manage keyboards" section?
- Since zebra does not provide its own "Null Keyboard" app, is a special third-party app recommended?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’