How can I run multiple RhoElement applications

After I install RhoElements, I change my config.xml file to set the <StartPage = ...> the location of the app. Now I have a second application,how can I have two icons to launch each individual application?

Capture.PNG

James Morley-Smith
Firstly, in the current

Firstly, in the current version of Elements there is no way to run multiple concurrent instances.  However, if you'd like to avoid changing the start page entry in the config file each time you want to launch to a different app there is a way.  You can create a .lnk file that launches RhoElements.exe with a command line switch.

The best way to do this is to copy the existing shortcut from a device to your PC and edit in a text editor.  You should see something like this:

#30"/Program Files/RhoElements/RhoElements.exe"

Just add to the end of this line, after the speech marks, /S:http://mywebserver.com/index.html...and ensure you have a space between the speech mark and the /S.

For more information, there is a topic on this in the RhoElements help file, also here is a link to some information on CE .lnk files.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms861519.aspx

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hayden Eastman
James,Are there any plans to

James,

Are there any plans to support multiple concurrent instances of the RhoElements runtime?  Also, is there support for running a page in the background?  For instance, page1 launches page2, could page1 continue to do processing while page2 is in the foreground?  I've heard mention of "webworkers", but don't know much about them.  Would this be a solution in RhoElements?

Thanks,

Hayden Eastman

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Morley-Smith
Hi Hayden,Yes, we are

Hi Hayden,

Yes, we are currently busy working on the next major release that will include multi-instance RhoElements apps.  This release does not have a scheduled release date yet but the plan is for some time in Q2 of next year.

Regarding WebWorkers, I would recommend trying out this tutorial: http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/workers/basics/ as WebWorkers may be the solution for you.

James.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ronald Diemicke
Another solution to this

Another solution to this problem is just to have a 'Menu Page' - so that when you launch RhoElements, you let the user decide which app they want. This way if you want to have the device launch RhoElements on boot and lock the user into it, they can still switch between apps.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hrushikesh Bhatt
Hello! Interesting post here.

Hello!

Interesting post here. I have a requirement for running my application in the background (no UI). It sits there listening for UDP communication from a server while there are other applications running on RhoElements. I need a way to pop up tiny message windows every now and then on RhoElements while another app is running in the foreground. Since my application is not running in the foreground, WebWorkers aren't a viable option for me. Are there any tricks to do this currently? If not, is there a plan to add functionality making this possible in the future?

Thanks!

RishI

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’