Motorola device licence

To run Rho element script(such as accessing bar code scanner of the device) do we need to take license.If so what is the process.

Darryn Campbell
Hi James!Hope you are doing

Hi James!

Hope you are doing well!

Could you please help us this time clarifying a doubt we have.

Earlier, with what you suggested, we could demonstrate the bar-code scanner by activating it  through a Javascript of an application, such that, we could capture the data within the application. The flow was "We press a button in the Application-->the application initiates the scanner-->asks the user to press the Physical scan button on the device-->we press the physical scan button on the device-->> once the scan is completed, the java script in the application takes back the data control and proceeds further.....

Now, what we want to negate in the above said flow is that, instead of the control going over to the Physical scan button for a scan the control should remain with the button of the application itself. So, the flow should be like "We press a scan button in the Application-->the application initiates the scanner-->scans the bar code and proceeds further.....

In simple words, can we achieve scanning a bar code other within an application, other than pressing the physical scan button on the device?

P.S.If the above said is possible, I would like to know if the same can be implemented on Android platforms and how?

Please revert!

Best Regards,

Hareesh.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Galvin
Hareesh That is called a Soft

Hareesh

That is called a Soft Scan. Basically you need to do a scanner.start(). If the barcode is decoded then the decode Event will trigger. If no bar code is decoded then you need to do a scanner.stop() to turn off the scanner. Think of scanner.start as someone pressing the hard trigger and scanner.stop() as someone releasing the hard trigger.

Rob

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
An example of how to do this:

An example of how to do this:

<html>

<head>

<script type="text/javascript">

function startScanner()

{

scanner.enable();

scanner.decodeEvent = "url('javascript:onDecode(%json)')";

scanner.start(); // Soft starts the scanner, the same as pressing the trigger

}

function stopScanner()

{

scanner.stop(); // Soft stops the scanner, the same as releasing the trigger

}

function onDecode(scanObject)

{

document.getElementById('data').innerHTML = scanObject.data;

}

</script>

</head>

<body>

<h1 style="display: inline; padding-right:10px">Example of soft scanning</h1>

<button onclick="startScanner()">Start Scanning</button>

<button onclick="stopScanner()">Stop Scanning</button>

<div>Scanned Barcode: <span id="data"></span></div>

</body>

<head>

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Darryn Campbell
Thanks Ben and Rob, I will

Thanks Ben and Rob, I will try this and get back to you if I face any issues. In the mean time my question may sound very stupid, just wanted to know how it works in Android. Currently on Windows phone like ES400 we modify Configure.xml and launch RhoElement. How does it work in Android?. Can you please let me know, I would like to know how this can be installed in Android simulator so that I test my app and how do I build APK file.

Thanks,

Hareesh.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
This will work in exactly the

This will work in exactly the same way on Motorola's Android Tablet: the ET1. All you will need to do is:

1. install the RhoElements .apk onto the ET1,
  2. modify the Config.xml in the RhoElements folder,
  3. Launch RhoElements.

We haven't released an emulator for the ET1, so this will need to be done with the actual device.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hareesh Veldandi
Thanks Ben.

Thanks Ben.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Morley-Smith
Hi HareeshYes, there is a

Hi Hareesh

Yes, there is a license cost for the RhoElements runtime. The licensing model is a tiered pricing model and I would advice contacting your usual Motorola Solutions contact or one of our partners.  If you do not already have a contact you can use this web form to get in touch: http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Enterprise+Mobility/How_To_Buy.

I should point out that for development purposes it is not absolutely necessary to have a licensed unit, the only annoyance will be a nag screen that appears every few minutes, but this can simply be cancelled, but obviously for live solutions it would be necessary to pay for the software.

I hope this helps,

James.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hareesh Veldandi
Hi James!Thank you for

Hi James!

Thank you for replying!

Please bear with me as this is a long write up

We are actually using Motorola ES400 that comes with an Advanced bar-code scanner, Finger print reader etc. Yes, the ES400 has a native app called "DataWedge", by enabling which, we could generally use the bar-code scanning facility.

But, what we basically have to do is to demonstrate the bar-code scanner, by activating it  through a Javascript of an application such that we could capture the data within the application.

So, we happened to use the demo application that was given in Rho package help document. This application is basically of HTML and Javascript code. And when the same is launched, ideally an HTML page should be loaded and a specific Javascript should enable the bar-code scanner, read the bar-code for data and display the data on the HTML page. Unfortunately, only the HTML page gets loaded, but the Javascript is not enabling the scanner.

I have configured Rho Elements properly by going through the document thoroughly.Also, I read in help documents that to acess bar-code scanner we need to have a runtime license.

James, my doubt now is to see if the run-time license is necessary to enable the scanner through a javascript.

Please revert!

Best Regards,

Hareesh.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Morley-Smith
...just a little more info:

...just a little more info: Why not take a quick read of 's post http://motorola-dev.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/1019 he has a sample that show's how to work around the problem.

James.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hareesh Veldandi
Yes, we are in fact trying

Yes, we are in fact trying the same. will get back to you soon.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Morley-Smith
Yes, there is currently a

Yes, there is currently a problem that was identified post-release whereby on unlicensed only devices, the first page will not allow the scanner to be enabled.

There are three work arounds:

1. Create an initial page that will first be loaded at start-up then include a link to your actual scanning page (the issue only manifests on the fist page)
  2. Enable the scanner by putting a button on the page and have the scanner.enable(); executed on clicking the button.
  3. Finally, you can use setTimeout to execute the code after a short delay.

FYI, the issue has now been resolved and is testing now in preparation for the next maintenance release.

Thanks,

James.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hareesh Veldandi
Many Thanks James,We will try

Many Thanks James,

We will try this out and get back to you soon with the results!

Regards,

Hareesh

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’