How to copy protect HTML5/Javascript?

One of our partners asked me this week how we are proposing to copy protect RhoElements enterprise applications written in HTML5/Javascript since this code is currently completely open for copying either from a web server or from the device itself. How are we proposing to prevent this in the current and/or future releases? Best Regards, Ian Hatton

James Morley-Smith
Hi IanWe are currently

Hi Ian

We are currently working on robust ways for partners to protect their IP by encrypting and bundling web apps, this will likely be two options, one for encrypting web pages and source so that it can only be read by RhoElements and compatible browsers, but also we are merging Rhodes and RhoElements so partners and customers will be able to create apps or bundles that are in binary format, see http://rhomobile.com/products/rhodes/ for more information on Rhodes.  FYI, Rhodes is a product from RhoMobile, a company that Motorola Solutions recently acquired to strengthen the RhoElements portfolio.

In the mean time, web apps can be obfuscated using a number of techniques.  This usually involves pre parsing the source so that it becomes very difficult to read or follow any links of the app.  One site that offers a solution is this:  http://www.voormedia.com/en/tools/html-obfuscate-scrambler.php.

Hope this helps,

James.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi James,  Thanks for the

Hi James,

Thanks for the info - do you have a timeframe for releasing encryption support in RhoElements itself (option 1 above)?

Best Regards,

Ian Hatton

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

James Morley-Smith
My expectation is that this

My expectation is that this would be an additional function on RhoElements R2 and the only date I can give for that is sometime in Q2 next year.  However it is possible that Rhodes maybe merged ahead of that time.

For now my advice would be to obfuscate the code.

James.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’