9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 2:00 AM by MAKOTO KUBO

    RhoElement Japanese character issue

    MAKOTO KUBO

      Hi,

       

      I found that RhoElement V1.0.0.10 displays wrong Japanese characters.

      Does anyone know the workaround? 

      For more details please see attached.

       

      Thank you.

      Makoto Kubo

        • Re: RhoElement Japanese character issue
          James Morley-Smith

          Hi Makoto

           

          In order to have RhoElements display non-european fonts, you must install on the device a suitable true-type font that includes glyphs for your language.  There are several fonts available online.  Here are a couple of resources you may wish to check out.  Google's Droid font worked in our tests using comparison bitmap glyphs http://www.droidfonts.com/ (and is pretty small compared to other fonts multi-lingual fonts).  There is also a site here that has links to several other sites that offer similar fonts http://www.omniglot.com/links/fonts.htm (by the way, I apologise on their behalf for using the term "free foreign fonts", clearly they are not foreign if you are from the country that is using that font!!!).

           

          Once you have selected a font, you should download the TTF font, copy it to your device's Windows\Fonts folder and then update the RhoElements config file to use that font as the default font (unless you specify it in your CSS styling).

           

          Here is an example that uses the Droid font:

           

          <HTMLStyles> 
          <FitToScreenEnabled value="1" /> 
          <ClearTypeEnabled value="1" /> 
          <JavascriptEnabled value="1" /> 
          <TextSelectionEnabled value="0" /> 
          <FontFamily value="Droid Sans" /> 
          </HTMLStyles>
          
          

           

          I hope this helps,

           

          James.

            • Re: RhoElement Japanese character issue
              MAKOTO KUBO

              Hi James, thank you for your advice.

               

              I have tested RhoElements on Japanese Windows Mobile 6.5.3 for ES400.

              I tried to edit config.xml to modify FontFamily value="MS UI Gochic" (Japanese font) as you adviced.

              Displayed font was changed to "MS UI Gochic", but still displayed incorrect characters.

              It seems that RhoElements V1.0.0.10 doesn't support Japanese (and possibly other multi byte languages) encoding like as Unicode, Shift-JIS, EUC.

               

              Thanks in advance.

              Makoto Kubo

              • Re: RhoElement Japanese character issue
                James Morley-Smith

                Just to give a little more information, the font I specified in my config should have actually been "Droid Sans Fallback".  Here is my config, apologies for any confusion:

                 

                      <HTMLStyles>
                        <FitToScreenEnabled    value="1" />
                        <ClearTypeEnabled      value="1" />
                        <JavascriptEnabled     value="1" />
                        <TextSelectionEnabled  value="0" />
                        <FontFamily            value="Droid Sans Fallback" />
                      </HTMLStyles>
                
                
                  • Re: RhoElement Japanese character issue
                    HAO-FAN MA

                    Hi James,

                     

                    Yes, Droid Sans Fallback support CJK. It worked well.

                     

                    Thank you again,

                    Max Ma.

                    • Re: RhoElement Japanese character issue
                      MAKOTO KUBO

                      Hi James,

                       

                      I'm trying  to display Japanese with RhoElements 1.0.3.11 on ET1.

                      I specified DroidSansFallback.ttf in font-face section, but Japanese character displays square mark.

                      RhoElements 1.0.3.11 help file describes HTMLStyles\FontFamily is not applicable to Enterprise Tablet.

                      Could you please advice how can I specify the Droid Sans Fallback to display Japanese?

                       

                      Thank you.

                      Makoto Kubo

                       

                      (following is test html)

                      ===

                      <!DOCTYPE html>
                      <html>
                      <head>
                      <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
                      <title>Font-face test</title>
                      <style type="text/css">

                      @font-face {
                           font-family: 'DroidSansFallback';
                           src: url('fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf') format('truetype');
                           font-weight: normal;
                           font-style: normal;
                      }

                      p {
                      font-family: 'DroidSansFallback';
                      font-weight: bold;
                      background: #ff3300;
                      color: #ffffff;
                      border: solid 3px #000000;
                      }

                      </style>
                      </head>
                      <body>

                      <p>Japanese Test</p>
                      <p>日本語テスト</p>

                      </body>
                      </html>

                      ===