Building simple Rhodes application to Windows Mobile gives error (works on RhoSimulator)

I installed RhoStudio (RhoStudioInstaller2.0.0.beta2.6.exe) from your beta program, created a new Rhodes app, added a Product model and added a run configuration for

1. WinMo RhoSimulator
  2. WinMo device

1 runs fine.

2 gives me this error in terminal window that opens:

(in C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.be

ta.1)

cd C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.bet

a.1

rake aborted!

Don't know how to build task 'run:webrickrhologserver[C:/Users/Magnus'

(See full trace by running task with --trace)

C:\RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rhodes-3.3.3.beta.1

\res\build-tools>

and this error in RhoStudio's (Eclipse's) console:

Build complete: 5 Projects succeeded, 0 Projects failed, 0 Projects skipped

PWD: C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.1/platform/wm/build

CMD: cscript build_inf.js RhodesApplication1.inf wm6 RhodesApplication1 rhomobile "C:/Users/Magnus Bondesson/workspaceRhoElements/RhodesApplication1/bin/RhoBundle" 0 1 C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhoelements-2.0.0.beta.8/libs/data

RET: Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

RET: Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

RET:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PWD: C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.1/platform/wm/build

CMD: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Windows Mobile 6 SDK/Tools/CabWiz/cabwiz.exe" RhodesApplication1.inf

RET: Windows CE CAB Wizard

RET: Warning: Section [copyfiles_apps_public] has no data

RET: Warning: Section [RegKeys] has no data

RET: Warning: Section [DefaultInstall] key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process

Windows CE CAB Wizard

Warning: Section [copyfiles_apps_public] has no data

Warning: Section [RegKeys] has no data

Warning: Section [DefaultInstall] key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process

CMD: cscript cleanup.js

RET: Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

RET: Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

RET:

mv RhodesApplication1.inf C:/Users/Magnus Bondesson/workspaceRhoElements/RhodesApplication1/bin/target/wm6p

mv RhodesApplication1.cab C:/Users/Magnus Bondesson/workspaceRhoElements/RhodesApplication1/bin/target/wm6p

rm -f cleanup.js

cd C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.1

ERROR: The process "detool.exe" not found.

cd C:/RhoStudioFromRhoElements2Beta/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.1/res/build-tools

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Starting application on the device

Please, connect you device via ActiveSync.

EXC: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. - connect(2)

Could it has something to do with the space in my user directory?

I can browse the files on the ActiveSync connected device (MC75) as well as build another Rhodes app to it from another Eclipse + RhoStudio plugin install (on the same computer).

PS. How to add code formatting (different background etc. like I've seen in other posts here)? Now I just chose DoubleArrow Icon (Insert) -> Syntax highlighting -> Plain

Best Regards

Magnus Bondesson

PocketMobile AB

Robert Galvin
It looks like it is building

It looks like it is building the CAB file (look in your workspace\project\bin\target folder) but is unable to copy it to the device. I beat my head against the wall on this one as well for a while. I was using Win7 and ES400 and I had to make sure the device was connected and activesync/WDM knew it was connected before I started the build.

Sometimes I had greater success getting the project to build and copy by using the rake command instead of from RhoStudio:

rake run:wm:device:cab

http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/build#build-for-windows-mobile

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Magnus Bondesson
Yes there was indeed a cab

Yes there was indeed a cab there. It was 17MB in size though, is that normal (since I did the most simple app possible)? This makes the install take several minutes.

rake run:wm:device:cab worked though!

When starting the app on a MC75 (WM 6.1) I see a black background with the RhoMobile logo and the text "loading..." below.

Nothing else happens and the only Menu option available is Exit. Since this worked in the RhoSimulator something must be wrong here right?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Galvin
Can you do a file/export in

Can you do a file/export in Eclipse and attach it here? (Use Advanced Editor to see attach files button)

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Magnus Bondesson
I did a new Rhodes

I did a new Rhodes application project that has nothing changed from default.

I've tested it and same situation as above. Project is attached.

Thanks for looking into it.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

steve westergaard
Magnus, In response to your

Magnus,

In response to your question the file size the answer is yes that is the approximate size for the .cab .. very large, but I think a lot of that has to do with the framework itself. If you look at the app directory on the mobile device you should see that the actually size for the app is much smaller.

Secondly the error that you receive during building.. I've noticed as well and had mentioned it to Adam from Rhomobile.. For me it's very intermittent..

1. Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8 
  2. Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. 
  4. Starting application on the device 
  5. Please, connect you device via ActiveSync. 
  7. EXC: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. - connect(2) 

I could build 10 times and have no issue, then the next 3-4 times in a row receive the issue above.

I would say perform the following steps prior to building and deploy via RhoStudio

1. Reboot the device.

2. Verify that it connects via Active Sync or WMDC (Win7 is what I'm using)

3. Watch the process. (I've noticed that sometimes when deploying my device will disconnect and I'll have to reboot it again)

4. Also you might want to close out the WebBrick logger that pops up prior to redeploy..

One other error that I had received a number of times was the following. I think this may have been cleaned up with the last beta. 

9>c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ce\include\xmemory(160) : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.

9>(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1411)

9> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.

9>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++

9> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

9>Internal Compiler Error in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ce\bin\x86_arm\cl.exe.  You will be prompted to send an error report to Microsoft later.

9>Build log was saved at "file://c:\RhoStudio\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rhodes-3.3.1\platform\wm\bin\Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)\rhodes\Release\BuildLog.htm"

9>rhodes - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

It's pretty frustrating having to follow of some of these steps especially when the build deploy process takes almost 5 minutes for me, then I have to redeploy. Just need to keep in mind it's Beta and these things will creep up. I have confidence that they will be fixed..

FYI I'm actively building on a MC9596, MC9598, MC65, MC55 and a ES400.

Steve

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Galvin
MagnusHave you updated to the

Magnus

Have you updated to the latest Beta 5 drop? Do you still have a problem?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’