18 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 6:25 AM by richard bass

RhoElements V2 for WM device issue

HAO-FAN MA

Hi,

I build a very simple app with RhoStudio, I noticed that when app launched, it seems like always begin to connect network, but I did not enable sync function.

If I have no network connection, the app will still stop at startup screen, if I have a network connection, the app will enter the first form to work.

Does Rhodes app must need a network connection? I want to connect to server when needed.

Thank you,

Max

• Re: RhoElements V2 for WM device issue

Hi,

I have a similar issue. My WM RhoElements2 app quits immediately after showing the 'Loading...' screen.  My device is connected by USB and I have confirmed that it has internet access by browsing using IE.

The log file does not give any clues and never lists anything after 'RhoElementsExt_wm.cpp: 111| Registering Rho Extensions'.

Regards,

Richard

HAO-FAN MA

Hi,

I found RhoElements note about this:

"RhoElements applications will not work in the case of an incorrect network setup on a Windows Mobile device, because RhoElements relies on localhost hostname and 127.0.0.1 IP-address presence. In general, when connected to a PC, the device should have Internet connectivity: e.g. the user should be able to browse web with Internet Explorer from the Windows Mobile device. In case of broken Internet connectivity, make sure that at Settings » Connections » Connections » Advanced » Select Networks the value My ISP is selected in both select boxes."

Best regards,

Max

Hi Max,

Thanks for the update, but unfortunately that does not help me.  I have confirmed that my PDA correctly maps localhost to 127.0.0.1 and that it has internet access.

In case it helpe, the end of my log file looks like this;

I 04/09/2012 06:18:52:709 001b8f02           MainWindow| resizeWindow: xSize=480;ySize=536
                  I 04/09/2012 06:18:52:716 001b8f02             WKEngine| Navigate :about:blank
                  I 04/09/2012 06:18:52:730 001b8f02             WKEngine| ProcessOnTopMostWnd
                  I 04/09/2012 06:18:52:730 001b8f02  MainWindow.cpp:1497| PAINT
                  I 04/09/2012 06:18:52:808 09114ea6            RhodesApp| Starting RhodesApp main routine...
                  I 04/09/2012 06:18:53:418 09114ea6              RhoRuby| Init_RhoBlobs: /Program Files/RhodesApplication1/rho/db/db-files
                  I 04/09/2012 06:18:53:456 09114ea6 RhoElementsExt_wm.cpp: 111| Registering Rho Extensions

Richard

HAO-FAN MA

Hi Richard,

I think our issues are not same, so could you paste your build.yml? what extension did you used? I think may be a error in your configuration.

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

Here is my build.yml;

#sdk: "C:/RhoStudio/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.5.4"
                          sdkversion: "3.3.3"
                          name: "RhodesApplication1"
                          version: 1.0
                          vendor: "rhomobile"
                          build: "debug"
                          bbver: 4.6
                          app_type: "rhoelements"
                          applog: "rholog.txt"
                          iphone:
                            configuration: "Release"
                            sdk: "iphonesimulator5.0"
                            provisionprofile: 
                            codesignidentity: 
                            entitlements: 
                            BundleIdentifier: "com.rhomobile.rhodesapplication1"
                            BundleURLScheme: "rhodesapplication1"
                          wp:
                            productid: "869a2040-6c37-012f-91c6-40cb387918d9"
                          symbian:
                            uid: "0xef9d9411"
                          android:
                            version: 2.1
                          wm:
                            sdk: "Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)"
                          extensions:
                            - json
                            - another-extension
                          capabilities:
                            - motorola

I started by following the tutorial for creating a Rhodes application and later added the app_type to get it to use RhoElements2 rather than IE.

Its highly likely that I have missed something somewhere, but just cant work out what.  I would be really grateful if you can point out my mistake(s).

Thanks,

Richard

Robert Galvin

Richard

This does not have anything to do with your build.yml or your RhoStudio setup. When the application runs on the device, it essentially starts a web server. When the device is connected to your laptop, activesync sometimes gets in the way and confuses where the network is.

If you build the app, copy cab to the device, install,unplug from the laptop and launch, that should work regardless if the device is connected or disconnected to WiFi

I would try the following while the device is activesync’ed:

1)      Try with WiFi turned off

2)      Try with WiFi turned on

3)      Check the Network Management screen that it shows ‘My Work Network’ for both Internet and Private Network (start/settings/connections/advanced/select networks)

Robert Galvin

Can you share what the device connection settings page looks like? The one where you have My Isp selected. Also do you have ActiveSync setup on the device to allow lan access. Any change in behavior when you can any settings around network? Say turn on/off wifi

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately I am not in a position to screenshot the device, but it is an MC65 running windows mobile 6.5 professional.

I have tested with both 'My ISP' and 'My Work Network' in both the 'Internet' and 'Private Network' options - No difference.

I am confident that localhost and 127.0.0.1 are working as expected because I am also working with RhoElements 1 and its built in web server, along with our own internally developed PDA web server.

I have confirmed that the device has internet access by using IE to browse slashdot.org.

I cant find a setting for allowing lan access via activesync.  Can you offer any advice on where I might get to this?

The device does not have a sim so GPRS is out of the question and I dont have a wifi network for the device to connect to, so enabling the wifi has no effect.

Thanks,

Richard

Robert Galvin

Ok – that leads me to believe that the other web servers are getting in the way (or possible a bug on our end). Do you have any of these servers running? Can you try and build removing app_type:Rhoelements and capabilities:Motorola? Also try removing RhoE v1 from the device.

Hi Rob,

Neither RhoElements 1 or my homebrew server are running on the device.  Multiple reboots and checking taskmanager confirm that.

I will remove both from the device and report back.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Rob,

I have removed both RhoElements 1 and my homebrew web server application, but it makes no difference.

I an confident that the web server is starting as the log file shows;

I 04/09/2012 14:25:02:850 a978a342            RhodesApp| Trying to get free listening port.
                                          I 04/09/2012 14:25:02:885 a978a342            RhodesApp| Trying to bind of 8080 port...
                                          I 04/09/2012 14:25:02:891 a978a342            RhodesApp| Got port to bind on: 8080
                                          I 04/09/2012 14:25:02:893 a978a342            RhodesApp| Free listening port: 8080

Thanks,

Richard

I removed app_type:Rhoelements and capabilities:Motorola and that runs fine.

Robert Galvin

Can you go to a command prompt and type: gem list then paste what is displayed?

Thanks

Hi Rob,

'gem list' gives the following;

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

activesupport (3.1.0, 2.3.12)
                                                    bundler (1.0.16)
                                                    daemons (1.1.6, 1.1.4, 1.0.10)
                                                    diff-lcs (1.1.3, 1.1.2)
                                                    eventmachine (1.0.0.beta.4.1 x86-mingw32, 0.12.10 ruby x86-mswin32-60)
                                                    extlib (0.9.15)
                                                    highline (1.6.11, 1.6.2, 1.5.2)
                                                    i18n (0.6.0)
                                                    json (1.6.5, 1.5.4, 1.4.6 x86-mingw32)
                                                    macaddr (1.0.0)
                                                    mime-types (1.17.2, 1.16)
                                                    mspec (1.5.17)
                                                    multi_json (1.0.4, 1.0.3)
                                                    nokogiri (1.5.0 x86-mingw32)
                                                    rack (1.4.1, 1.4.0, 1.3.6, 1.3.4, 1.3.2, 1.2.1)
                                                    rack-protection (1.2.0, 1.1.2)
                                                    rack-test (0.6.1)
                                                    rake (0.9.2.2, 0.9.2, 0.8.7)
                                                    rcov (0.9.10)
                                                    redis (2.2.2, 2.1.1)
                                                    redis-namespace (1.0.3, 0.10.0)
                                                    resque (1.19.0, 1.18.6, 1.17.1, 1.14.0)
                                                    rest-client (1.6.7, 1.6.1)
                                                    rhoconnect (3.1.1, 3.0.6)
                                                    rhoconnect-adapters (1.0.2)
                                                    rhodes (3.3.3.beta.5.5)
                                                    rhodes-translator (0.0.4)
                                                    rhoelements (2.0.0.beta.5.5)
                                                    rhomobile-debug (1.0.6)
                                                    rspec (2.6.0, 1.3.0)
                                                    rspec-core (2.6.4)
                                                    rspec-expectations (2.6.0)
                                                    rspec-mocks (2.6.0)
                                                    rubygems-update (1.8.10)
                                                    rubyzip (0.9.5, 0.9.4)
                                                    sinatra (1.3.2, 1.3.1, 1.2.7, 1.2.6, 1.2.1)
                                                    sqlite3 (1.3.5 x86-mingw32, 1.3.4 x86-mingw32)
                                                    sqlite3-ruby (1.2.5 x86-mingw32)
                                                    systemu (2.4.1, 2.2.0)
                                                    templater (1.0.0)
                                                    thin (1.3.1, 1.2.11 x86-mingw32, 1.2.7 x86-mingw32)
                                                    tilt (1.3.3, 1.2.2)
                                                    uuid (2.3.2)
                                                    uuidtools (2.1.2, 2.1.1)
                                                    vegas (0.1.11, 0.1.8, 0.1.7)
                                                    win32-api (1.4.8 x86-mingw32)
                                                    win32-process (0.6.5)
                                                    windows-api (0.4.0)
                                                    windows-pr (1.2.1)

Regards,

Richard

Hi Rob,

It hopefully makes no difference, but I am using Visual Studio 2005 (SP1 installed) for vcbuild.exe.  Initially I was getting errors about the solution files being from a newer version, but I found that manually changing the version numbers in the solution files and project files fixed that particular problem.

Regards,

Richard

Robert Galvin

Richard

Was this device previously licensed for RhoElements version 1?