1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 7:31 AM by Robert Galvin

Newbie Dumb Questions

Hey

I am new and haven't done any mobile development for 10 years, and have a project to transfer a HTML5 page(s) to run and access the barcode scanner on MC9190 devices.

I have looked over RHOelements, and it seems perfect, and a nice way to interact with the backend webserver. (not to mention supporting multiple devices in teh future).

If I understand correctly, (this is derived from the sample apps and hours of reading)

a) development doesn't require any SDK of any sort, i can just use my favorite text editor (vim) to create the javascript and html5 and download this to the device to run (after installing the rhoelements runtime on the device).  Correct?

b) I can use ajax and json to interact with the webserver and pull / push data to and from the web site (provided it responds with correctly formatted json).  Effectively I could return HTML I guess and render new pages too?  Or do I have to use the DOM and Javascript to achieve this.

c) I don't need any further apis or anything or any other framework to run the RHOElements app on the device?

Thanks for the patience   Hope I haven't just missed the point!

Stu

• Re: Newbie Dumb Questions
          Robert Galvin

Stuart Hume wrote:

Hey

I am new and haven't done any mobile development for 10 years, and have a project to transfer a HTML5 page(s) to run and access the barcode scanner on MC9190 devices.

I have looked over RHOelements, and it seems perfect, and a nice way to interact with the backend webserver. (not to mention supporting multiple devices in teh future).

If I understand correctly, (this is derived from the sample apps and hours of reading)

a) development doesn't require any SDK of any sort, i can just use my favorite text editor (vim) to create the javascript and html5 and download this to the device to run (after installing the rhoelements runtime on the device).  Correct?

That is correct - Use any editor/IDE of choice to build your HTML and Javascript. Add appropriate RhoElements releated Javascript and <META> tags as you need them

b) I can use ajax and json to interact with the webserver and pull / push data to and from the web site (provided it responds with correctly formatted json).  Effectively I could return HTML I guess and render new pages too?  Or do I have to use the DOM and Javascript to achieve this.

You can use either method. For Ajax/JSON you may want to look at the jQuery Mobile library. It offers easy methods for AJAX handling.

c) I don't need any further apis or anything or any other framework to run the RHOElements app on the device?

You just need to install the RhoElements runtime on the device and configure it so that it points to your HTML pages/app

Thanks for the patience   Hope I haven't just missed the point!

Stu

Stu - please see replies above highlighted in bold/blue