10 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 6:57 AM by Sharon Weissler

How to build applications on RhoStudio for ET1 (RhoElements)

Dear Friends,

I have recently installed RhoStudio for developing applications for ET1 (RhoElements). I am able to make some test programms (using 'Java' and 'Ruby' Perspectives) which run successfully and show their output on console, but I am not able to develope any browser application on it which could run on ET1-RhoElements. Please help by providing the proper development method and sample applications. I shall be much grateful for the support.

• Re: How to build applications on RhoStudio for ET1 (RhoElements)
          Adel Sari

Hi,

on the Rhomobile docs you have good samples to start from scratch, http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhostudio.tutorial,

you can find more samples on https://github.com/rhomobile

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Dear Adel,

Thanks for your response. The links provided from your end helped up to an extent; as prompted by the RhoStudio, I am able to download the required SDK and NDK. But the RhoStudio requires some more resources which I am unable to find. It is giving following ERROR MESSAGE -

build started

cd C:/RhoStudio/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.5.4

Your java bin folder does not appear to be on your path.

This is required to use rhodes.

$app_config['extensions'] : ["json","another-extension", "rhoelements"]

$app_config['capabilities'] : ["gps", "pim", "camera", "vibrate", "phone", "bluetooth", "calendar", "motorola"]

No Android platform found at SDK path: 'C:/ProgramFiles/Android/android-sdk'

Error in build application

Please help in resolving the difficulties.

Thanks for your support.

Adel Sari

Hi,

You have to put java path (example: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_01\bin) in your environment path.

i hope this will help you.

Hello Adel,

Thanks for your response. I would like to inform you that the java path (C:/ProgramFiles/Java/jdk1.7.0_02/bin) is already set in both places (RhoStudio and Windows XP System Environment Path). My observation says that the difficulty lies in the following line of the mentioned ERROR MESSAGE:

No Android platform found at SDK path: 'C:/ProgramFiles/Android/android-sdk'

Please help in finding the required Android platform.

RhoStudio version information:

Version: Helios Service Release 2

Build id: 20110218-0911

BHAKTA RANJAN SATAPATHY

Hi,

For this problem No Android platform found at SDK path: 'C:/ProgramFiles/Android/android-sdk'

you need to follow the below steps.

1: Go to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk

Launch Android SDK Manager by double click on SDK Manager.exe.

2: Install SDK platform of desired android version.

i hope this will help you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. It helped, I followed your steps; I was able to download and install the required things successfully. But when I tried to build application, I again received an error message; the last few relevant lines of the total build report are as under -

2606139 META-INF/CERT.SF (OK - compressed)

2613657 META-INF/CERT.RSA (OK - compressed)

Verification succesful

Install APK file

PWD: C:/RhoStudio/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rhodes-3.3.3.beta.5.4

CMD: "C:/ProgramFiles/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/adb.exe" -d install -r
                              "D:/Documents and Settings/Maxworth/workspaceRho/StoreManager/bin/target/StoreManager-debug.apk"

error: device not found

Error installing APK file

Error in build application

The error message is suggestive of the fact that the RhoStudio was unable to map the device for copying and installing the apk file. Let me inform you that the target device (Motorola ET1) was connected to the system through USB and USB connection was enabled. I tried to find some option concerning the device mapping with RhoStudio, but without success. Please help to resolve the difficulties.

BHAKTA RANJAN SATAPATHY

HI,

The above error you getting is just because of your device is not connected with ADB Interface.

You need to check your device driver is properly installed or not. To check you may follow below steps.

1: Click on Start, then go to Run

2: Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

3: In device manager, if your device listed in other devices category then you need to install proper USB driver.

4: Once USB driver get installed, you can see Android Phone category in device manager.

But still you can run your application on your device if you follow the below steps:

1: Go to your project location.

2: Under /bin/target/ you can find generated .apk file.

3: Put that file into device and install your application normally.

For e.g, this is the location of the apk file

"D:/Documents and Settings/Maxworth/workspaceRho/StoreManager/bin/target/StoreManager-debug.apk"

Hi,

I followed your alternate method. It worked successfully. I am now able to build and install apk.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I again need your help. While trying to build any new form on RhoStudio, only some predefined templates are made. I am unable to make forms freely like we build in Microsoft Visual Studio. Suppose I need to make a simple application to add two numbers, I need to build a form on which I need  two nos. of text boxes for input of data from user, one command button (Displaying name as "Add") to process addition of the input numbers, one text box for displaying the result (the sum of the two numbers). I addition to that I need to know navigation methods for switching from one form to another (like 'Postback' function in Microsoft Visual Studio).

I request to provide the required information, if possible please build the above mentioned small application and let me have it.

If you are familiar with HTML coding you will have to place two input boxes and a button on the form. The best technique is to use the <div> </div> tags to place the controls in the proper location.

You can also use the <table style="height:100%;width:100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border=0>

<tr>

<td>

</td>

</tr>

Then catch the event in the body part and calc the result.

Use “render” action within the controller to switch to another form in the same model:

render :action => :UserProfile