2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 2:22 AM by Gerbrand Stap

How to deploy RhoConnect (to Windows)?

Gerbrand Stap

We want to write an application in RhoElements v2 that should replace our current Windows Mobile application. Our back-end is currently a .NET SOAP web service running on Windows Server and IIS, deployed at a few dozen customers.

I'm looking into RhoConnect to see if it can replace out current synchronization mechanism. But I'm wondering how a RhoConnect application might be deployed to Windows Server, because most of our customers will be reluctant to buy new hardware or switch OS just because we selected a new technique.

It is also unclear to me what needs to be deployed to a RhoConnect server (apart from the whole Windows issue). Can a RhoConnect application be compiled and packaged, or are all files (scripts, settings, etc.) copied to a server with a Ruby (on Rails) runtime and a Redis install? Or is a hosted RhoConnect application (i.e. on RhoHub) for each customer the way to go?

• Re: How to deploy RhoConnect (to Windows)?

Hi Gerbrand,

We don't currently support RhoConnect running on windows as a production environment, it is only supported as a development environment.  This means you get the RhoConnect development tools automatically when you install RhoMobile Suite for the purpose of developing your app.  We plan on adding windows support in the future but do not have a date yet.

It is also unclear to me what needs to be deployed to a RhoConnect server (apart from the whole Windows issue). Can a RhoConnect application be compiled and packaged, or are all files (scripts, settings, etc.) copied to a server with a Ruby (on Rails) runtime and a Redis install? Or is a hosted RhoConnect application (i.e. on RhoHub) for each customer the way to go?

We recommend using our hosted option (RhoHub) if that is a possibility for you since it is managed and you don't need to maintain the servers.  For an on-premise installation, the process you describe is mostly correct.  Our linux installers will setup redis, the RhoConnect runtime, a web server to host it, and a sample app directory for you that you can replace with your application code.