Synchronization questions, using plugin.

We want to integrate a RhoElements v2 application with our current application. Currently we are using a .Net webservice to synchronize data. So using RhoConnect and the .Net plugin sounds like a logical choice. But after some tests I have questions about how to implement this.

It seems that a RhoE v2 app does incremental synchronization calls, and every now and then a full synchronization call (which is forwarded to the .Net plugin). In order to make all the incremental calls work, all changes in the relevant data must be sent to the RhoConnect app (from the .Net plugin). Please correct me if I'm wrong!

The problem with this is that changes come from different sources and it may not be possible (or at least hard) to gather all changes. In this case all changes must be sent to the device using full synchronization. This boils down to the following questions:

• Can RhoConnect be configured to send a query request to the .Net plugin for each synchronization request from a device?
  • Is the frequency of these synchronization calls from the RhoE v2 app configurable?
  • Are we in this case losing some benefits of RhoConnect (i.e. reduced network bandwidth between .Net plugin and RhoConnect) and only have the benefit of reduced network bandwith between RhoConnect and the RhoE v2 app?

Robert Galvin
Gerbrand,Please take a look

Gerbrand,

Please take a look at: https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/thread/1470 I think it might be helpful in getting some of your answers. It sounds like your questions really has to do with dependent objects.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robin West
Object dependency is a step

Object dependency is a step further than what I was referring to, but it's an interesting topic.

The problem with sending changes in my situation is that some of them may come from a BackOffice application, an external ERP application or other (non-RhoE) mobile devices. Within the existing architecture it is hard to capture all these changes for each individual RhoE app. So to support that mechanism in RhoConnect is hard to achive.

But I should have read more documentation, because the polling intervals are in there. In a RhoE app it is SyncEngine.set_pollinterval(n) (in code) or sync_poll_interval=n (in rhoconfig.txt), see Rhodes documentation. In RhoConnect it is in my case :poll_interval_default: (in settings.yml), because I'm using a plugin, see RhoConnect settings.

Setting the poll interval in RhoConnect equal or shorter than in the RhoE app will cause every call to be forwarded to the plugin.

So I succeeded in doing what I wanted, but I don't think it is a feasible solution, because it would cause many calls to the plugin. Making these calls smart enough to send only changes is like making our own RhoConnect.

Maybe RhoConnect just isn't the solution to our synchronizing requirements...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Divyansh Madan
Can you tell us something

Can you tell us something about your synchronization requirements so that we can tell you whether Rhoconnect can work for them or not??

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gerbrand Stap
One requirement (searching

One requirement (searching data) bypasses RhoConnect (discussed here). The remaining requirements can probably be implemented by using RhoConnect, but integrating with the existing application is challenging. So RhoConnect isn't ruled out. We only have to consider whether the benefits of RhoConnect are worth the development effort.

I'll set this thread to answered, because I think I figured out my questions.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robin West
Ohk...but if you want to

Ohk...but if you want to share the answers for your questions that would be great because someone else might also have the same questions...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gerbrand Stap
See my second post in this

See my second post in this thread. The answers to the polling questions were in the documentation. So a RTFM for me was appropriate...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’