Non-motorola device support?

Hey folks,

I was working on prototyping some stuff with RhoElements for our company a while back but one thing that was really inhibiting us from moving forward was that planned support for non-motorola devices was in the pipe - but not available yet- has this changed? Where can I find more documentation?

Thanks!

-Ron

Evgeny Vovchenko
RhoElements v2 support all

RhoElements v2 support all Mobile Platforms:

http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/build

What specific device capabilities you need ?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ronald Diemicke
I'm not really looking for

I'm not really looking for any device capabilitie. I really just need the webkit based web browser HTML5 feature set, mainly websql support (anything else I get is a bonus).

But for the hell of it - I put RhoElements on an Intermec CK71 and not only doesn't it not seem like I could register it (the area where I'd give the serial number is unrecognizable) - its also much slower performance wise and it doesn't appear I can even exit RhoElements - I end up having to reboot the device to exit the app.

Maybe I answered my own question here... but if its supposed to run on other devices, maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Has anyone else tried it with any other devices?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Evgeny Vovchenko
Do you use RhoElements v2 ?

Do you use RhoElements v2 ?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ronald Diemicke
Yes. I just downloaded the

Yes. I just downloaded the latest version yesterday - version 2.0.5.27...

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Ron,The answer is it will

Hi Ron,

The answer is it will work, we had it running on an Intermec CN50 and looking at the spec sheet for the CK71 that's also Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5.3.

Here's the notes I made during that investigation with version 2.0:

It will not work with the default configuration (config.xml), you'll need to remove the Scanner and DeviceApplication modules from the preloads section.  Note a side effect of removing the Device Application plugin is that the hourglass will no longer show.

In addition any RhoElements functionality that relies on Motorola libraries will not work (obviously), here's a list of which modules I expect to work on the CK71.  Just to emphasise I didn't validate this list, it's just the behaviour I expect:

·         Barcode Capture – No (the DLL will not even load)

·         Card Reader – No

·         Comm Port – Yes

·         Configuration – Yes

·         Controls (and Indicators) – Everything other than signal should work

·         Device / Application plugin – No (the DLL will not even load)

·         EMML Profiles – Yes

·         File Management – Yes

·         Gesture – Yes

·         Image Capture – No

·         Key Handling – No, this DLL will probably not load at all

·         Network – Yes

·         Preexisting JS Objects:

o   AirBeam – No

o   APD – Yes (guess)

o   Generic – Yes

o   NoSIP – Yes

o   ODAX - Yes

·         Push – Yes

·         Signature Capture - Yes

Hope that helps.  For 2.1 we are aiming to make this a bit more intuitive

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ronald Diemicke
Wow. Awesome Darryn. I'll

Wow. Awesome Darryn. I'll have to play with this more tomorrow and I'll report back with my results. One additional quick question : I noticed that RhoElements can't grab any device ID and serial number information (with obvious reasons, I'd imagine) - so how can one go about licensing a version of RhoElements for a non-motorola device?

I'll report back on my results with the config.xml file information you posted. Hopefully it'll let me quit the app now

Thanks!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Sorry to say it won't let you

Sorry to say it won't let you quit as that functionality is in the DeviceApplication DLL which can't be loaded on the CK71 (We will fix that in 2.1!!).  Here's a list of the modules which are in the DeviceApplication DLL:

Alarm, Application (i.e. application.quit), Backlight, Device, Hourglass, Keylight, Notification, PowerOn, Reboot, ScreenOrientation, SIP, SNTP, Stylus, Timer, Volume, Zoom.

License information for Non Motorola devices can be found at http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhoelements/rhoelements2-native#pre-licensing-your-application

Regards.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Ronald Diemicke
Yikes. Any timeframe for 2.1

Yikes. Any timeframe for 2.1's release? Being able to quit the application is somewhat important

Also - I noticed you said image capture wasn't loadable on other devices - but isn't there functionality to call other application from inside Rho? Which DLL is that apart of? I was wondering if you had an application where you needed to submit images-  if you couldn't shell out to the camera app, save the picture, then use the file handler to call it into rho for submission? Any ideas?

That being said - I'm pleasantly surprised with the amount of functionality that exists.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
2.1 is due at the end of July

2.1 is due at the end of July / early August.

The Camera API should work but that's only accessible through Ruby (http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodesapi/camera-api).  For development purposes you can use the quit button to quit (http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhoelements/quitbutton) but you wouldn't want to use that in a production build I image

Darryn

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’