jQuery Mobile Support with RhoElements on MC9190G (WinCE 6.0)

I am currently developing content leverging jQuery Mobile on the MC9190G handheld.  Out of the box, this model runs Windows CE 6.0 on QVGA resolution (320x240).  It also has support for VGA resolution (640x480).  Unfortunately, it appears that the operating system cannot scale for VGA support.  However, RhoElements can scale properly.  Ths issue is that jQuery Mobile does not inherently support QVGA.  Minimum requirements is VGA for jQuery Mobile.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with approachs: Usable Windows CE 6.0 at QVGA resolution running RhoElements without jQuery Mobile or Unusable Windows CE 6.0 at VGA resolution running RhoElements with jQuery Mobile?

If anyone can has information on how to scale Windows CE 6.0 to be usable or has modified the jQuery Mobile to support QVGA, comments are greatly appreciated.

Here's some screenshots of what I am experiencing:

QVGA VGA
photo 9.JPG photo 5.JPG
photo 8.JPG photo 4.JPG
photo 6.JPG photo 1.JPG

photo 7.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Jeffrey Kukkola
Have you tried setting the

Have you tried setting the Viewport meta tag?

This may help you with sizing the screen.

I have not tried JQuery Mobile yet on the devices.

RhoElements V2 is supposed to support the Viewport setting.

In V1 it is not supported but you can use
"
Zoom.page = "1.0"; from Javascript"

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Teti
Jeffrey,Thanks for the info

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the info about the viewport meta tag support.  I was not aware that v1 did not support this tag and that v2 does. Is there a comparison matrix of feature support between v1 and v2?

In the end, my issue is not around scaling my overall pages.  JQM will handle the fluid layout.  Unfortunately, the minimum screen size it is currently "aware of" is 640x480. So in my case, I do not think that zooming the entire page would solve my issue.

I am curious to hear how other users are running their MC9190G devices (Windows CE 6.0 + RhoElements).

QVGA or VGA? If QVGA, why not VGA? If VGA, what has been your experience?

Have you or are you running JQM on it and what has been your experience?

Also, any tips on supercharging overall device responsiveness/performance (storage or wifi settings) is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jeffrey Kukkola
I got the information from my

I got the information from my Motorola Rho overlay TA. I used to be a TA for Motorola – helps to have a few contacts.

If you have to use IE, you can set the MobileOptimized tag to 3 different screen settings as below: 176, 240, 480.

Settings are

you insert this meta tag in the

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Teti
It sure does help to have

It sure does help to have right contacts!

I am currently using the WebKit engine so the MobileOptimized meta tag will not work (IE-specific tag).

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Michael,Why do you say the

Hi Michael,

Why do you say the operating system does not scale for VGA, I presume it's by design that the controls are smaller, I actually prefer it.  Regardless, have you considered using RhoElements as your 'shell' and only granting users access to the on device applications you choose via generic.LaunchProcess?  That way you could run in VGA without needing to go out into the operating system.

In terms of features between v1 and v2, those are in the release notes, previously the v1 release notes specifically stated we did not support the viewport tag, which was added for V2.

wrt improving responsiveness the scrolling performance is slightly better on a QVGA screen (for obvious reasons), whenever I use an MC9190 the first thing I do is set it to QVGA so I haven't noticed the problems with JQuery Mobile at that resolution.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Michael Teti
Darryn,Thanks for the

Darryn,

Thanks for the response! I can't disagree with you about the preference of VGA over QVGA.  Unfortunately, the user base consists of both younger and older eyes, which would have some issues with the VGA resolution as is.

Yes, I am  currently using RhoElements as the shell via the generic.LaunchProcess method.

Now looking the the release notes, I do see that. Thanks.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’