1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 12:07 PM by Darryn Campbell

Differences between native and hybrid app (developed using RhoElements)

Prashant J

I have identified the basic differences between the native and hybrid apps;  Can I find a similar list (with more details) somewhere in the Rho-documents? If not can the Rho-Experts validate this information below and add any missing items?

I basically need this info to present in my company, based on this they will set directions going forward. Thanks.

Sl. No.ItemNative AppHybrid
        App (WebApp)
      1Connected/Disconnected modeWorks in both connected and disconnected mode with
        the usage of RhoConnect.
      Mostly
        works in connected mode; With caching mechanism, a few controls,pages can be
        cached to the local device.
      2Data communication over wireOnly Transactional Data is transferred back and
        forth. Pages are rendered from the local device
      Transactional
        Data + pages are transferred back and forth.
        Have to be vigilant as the data plans provided by smartphone providers
        are expensive
      3Application logicWill run on the deviceWill
        run on the backend server
      4RhoElements RunTimeIs a part of native application that runs on the
        device
      Should
        be installed on the devices

Its close to 20MB on WM devices
      5Updates to the appNeed to push updates to all the client devicesNo
        need to push updates as changes can be handled on the backend server; One
        time installation of RhoElements runtime and a thin client are required
      6Data SynchronizationData sync mechanism still required to support the
        app in disconnected mode
      No
        need to sync data as the mobile device user's session is running on the
        server
        • Re: Differences between native and hybrid app (developed using RhoElements)
          Darryn Campbell

Hi, I don't think we have any tables like that in the docs:

1. Correct

2. Largely correct.  It is possible to store your page on the devices in hybrid view (just put them on the device file system) but this makes it much more difficult to deploy and update your application.

3. Correct, unless you have application logic in your view (javascript) in which case it will also run on the device

4. Correct.  FYI about 13MB of the 20MB hybrid size is the WebKit engine, so your native application will also be that size if you use the RhoElements extension (app_type:rhoelements) and the Moto WebKit browser

5. Correct.  RhoHub can also help you push updates to client devices.

6. Correct.  I would suggest you look into using RhoConnect to synchronize your native application.  You may wish to synchronize data from your hybrid app, depending on your use case, a JavaScript interface is currently being added to RhoConnect to enable this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful