Window Mobile 5.0 (Magneto) transition questions

PLEASE ADD A TOPIC INSTEAD OF REPLYING TO THIS POST.

All,

I am putting out a general request for comment on what kind of technical questions the field is seeing from our customers regarding WM 5.0.  Additionally we would like to understand what kind of information you believe is required to support to your customers on WM 5.0.

I have included a hyperlink below to some of the training information that we currently have available.  This presentation was given at the Sales Conference in January.  Please review it.  Now that we have released some of our WM 5.0 products, it may be more relevant to you and we believe that it will answer many questions.

There are several other initiatives being investigated and we want to make sure that they correctly address your concerns.  Please respond back to this e-mail with your thoughts.  

Your response should include

1)       A pin-pointed question or comment.

2)       Please indicate if this is your question or one you received from a customer.

Thanks  

Select the hyperlink below, select Symbol Accelerated Learning and on the bottom of the page click on the Windows Mobile 5.0 presentation.

http://salesinsight.symbol.com/SI-TechOps/page.cfm?pageid=1655  

Patrick J. Kennedy

Engineering Customer Response Team

Software Director

David Jones
Customers are looking for: 1)

Customers are looking for:

1) Help with techniques, tips, and hints on making their application run on both the 9060 WM2003 and the 9090 WM 5.0.  They are not interested in supporting two different applications.  They want to use Rapid Deployment in MSP to download the application and do not feel the end user would pick the correct application for the correct device every time - so their apps have to be made "Hardware aware" because

a) Bluetooth is different between the two devices (Microsoft stack VS StoneStreet1)

b) SD card file folder is a different name.  So if under 9060 they hard code it to write disater recovery data to "MMC Card" that simply goes to a file on the 9090.  While the file would be in flash memory on the 9090 if the device went down hard they could not move the SD card to a spare device.  So they need a way to determine what the SD card file folder is called and they can then write backups accordingly.

c) Registry keys are in different locations and they make changes directly to the registry.  This means the application will have to know which type of device it's running on so it can properly change the registry.

2) A single application that will perform a Cold Boot on the 9060 and a Clean Cold Boot on the 9090.  This customer uses today's currently deployed 9060's for 3 different applications - and they only have one installed on the unit at any given time.  However they can delete the files they load to \application and hold down the powerkey to Cold Boot a 9060.  This allows them to then use RD to install one of the other applications for use by that worker type.  The Clean Cold Boot process (battery half out, pwr key + scan button, battery in, etc....) on the 9090 is not something the customer feels their end users are capable of doing in order to deploy a spare unit.  Nor will their end users know the difference between the 9060 and 9090.  So they are looking for the single application solution.

3) Information and tips on modifying current code to minimize the slow down seen when writing to flash memory on the 9090.

Regards,

dj

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
Pat,   I agree with

Pat,

I agree with Manny our customers are looking to us to provide direction. Here are some Questions from one of the early adopter group. Some questions apply to WM05 some for CE 5.0.

1. There seems to be no straightforward option to connect to GPRS. The user has to go deep into the menu settings to connect GPRS.
  2. After installation, the .CAB file does not get deleted automatically. Why?
  3. How to do a Backup and a Restore? This option, which is normally available under Tools in ActiveSync, is not present when a Windows Mobile 5 device is used. This may not an be perceived as an issue since WM5 uses non-volatile memory. But, having an option to backup and restore will come in handy when the IT Telecom team deploys the EDA by installing the applications. They need the image to deploy the EDA’s.
  4. There are plans to load a virus scanner?
  5. Is there an easy way to do a hard-reset?
  6. Device uses up at least about 40Mb of memory after loading mCompanion (Eswitch application), and NCP client monitor. Don’t know why it uses that much space?
  7. How do I port their internally developed VB applications to WM05 and CE.net V5.0?

.Thanks,

Bill Perryman

System Engineer Central Region

Symbol Technologies Inc.

6133 North River Road

Suite 1100

Rosemont, Il. 60018

773-864-8541 Voice

773-864-8501 Fax

william.perryman@symbol.com

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
Pat, 3 part question from a

Pat,

3 part question from a partner –

a). Do we support MS Message Queue? Microsoft indicates that it is an ‘optional’ component for vendors to support and they choose whether or not to support that functionality.

b). If we do support that functionality, is it commonly supported under CE5 Premium and WM5?

c). What is the available functionality supported (if indeed we do support it)?

Kevin J. Lollock
Consulting Systems Engineer
TASS Channels - Central Area
Symbol Technologies, Inc.
6133 N. River Rd., Suite 1100
Rosemont , IL   ostalCode w:insAuthor="A999288777" w:insDate="2006-02-08T08:48:00Z" w:endInsAuthor="A999288777" w:endInsDate="2006-02-08T08:48:00Z"> 60018 ostalCode>
773-864-8536 (Direct)
847-331-6978 ( Mobile )
kevin.lollock@symbol.com

Symbol. The Enterprise Mobility Company. (TM)

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
Customers and partners are

Customers and partners are asking:

How much effort is involved in porting applications from 2003?

What are the differences between WM 5.0 and CE 5.0?

Thanks,

----------------------------------------------
ersonName style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">Mark Cipriotti ersonName>

Sr. Systems Engineer
mark.cipriotti@symbol.com
Office:  703-790-6435

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
Pat, The information

Pat,

The information provided by the webinar is great, but in my opinion it is still high level.

I had a chance to play with a MC9090, and I noticed that there are many little details that are not make known to us SEs.

1.  The Windows folder files are now all ‘system’ files and read only.  You can’t replace, delete or rename files in Windows folder.  Whereas, before, on MC9060,you can replace it with .cpy file through a cold boot.  My understanding is that you can only do that to the MC9090 through a Clean Cold boot.  This was needed in order to replace the .rmt file for keyboard remap.

2.  we don’t use TCM or DCP to rebuild the hex image but MS UpdateLoader for building package; I like to learn how to do this?

3.  I like to know a comparison on how we used to do it on MC9060 versus MC9090 in detail, not an overview.

Regards,

Matthew Chu

24645 Los Adornos

Yorba Linda , CA. 92887

949-639-8148 (voicemail)

714-420-2268 cell

matthew.chu@symbol.com

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
This is an example of a

This is an example of a question and answer session I had with Chuck Bolen.

I am satisfied with the answer.

Joe Costa

Channel Systems Engineer

Cell/Voice Mail: 719-650-9060

IM: Joe_Costa@hotmail.com

Email: Joe.Costa@Symbol.com

Helpdesk: 800-653-5350

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 6:14 PM
To: Costa, Joe
Cc: Chu, Matthew; Farrell, Dan
Subject: RE: MC 3090 Microsoft Compatibiloity questions

Joe,

1.  I assume this is refering to .NET Compact framework (CF) version 2.0.  The Windows Mobile 2005 (and 2003) includes CF 1.1 SP3 in the ROM image.  The CF 2.0  is included as an installable component of Visual Studio 2005, and can be downloaded and installed from Visual Studio 2005.  I suspect Microsoft will include CF 2.0 in a  future AKU (bascially a maintnece release for WM 5.0).  In the mean time CF 2.0 can be installed from VS 2005.  As Cf 2.0 is a superset of CF 1.1, I would recommend sticking with 1.1 unless a new feature of CF 2.0 is needed, since loading the CF 2.0 will require additional memory.

2. Not sure what this is.  The .NET CF provides web services.

3. Visual Studio 2005 is the only suported development environment for WM 5.0.  It also support PPC 2003, Ce 4.2 and CE 5.0.  Our SMDK for C is compatible with VS 2005

Sent: Mon 2/6/2006 8:08 PM
To: Bolen, Chuck
Cc: Chu, Matthew; Farrell, Dan
Subject: FW: MC 3090 Microsoft Compatibiloity questions

Chuck, no presentation or training I have been to addresses these specific questions.

My suspicion is:

1. maybe

2. very doubtful

3. yes

Please correct me if I am wrong or direct me to who knows in our company?

Sent: Mon 2/6/2006 2:09 PM
To: Costa, Joe; Chu, Matthew
Subject: MC 3000 question

American Barcode has an oppty with an MC 3000…

Client needs to know if we have a unit that has/is compatible with the following:

1. .net 2.0
  2. Web Services Library
  3. Visual Studio 2005

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Farrell

Channel Account Manager

303.774.8903 (Office)

303.324.0670 (Cell)

303.774.9036 (Fax)

dan.farrell@symbol.com

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
Pat, we need a WM5 "help desk

Pat, we need a WM5 "help desk" - someplace customers can call for help with moving apps to WM5. Here are some questions I've received, this is just a start of list:

1. is there a recommended procedure to create a .CAB file and have it autoloaded the 1st time the MC70 is brought up? I remember something about a "2577" directory and an "autorun" executable. This question comes from a customer that is used to building .hex images using TCM, once they build the .CAB file using Visual Studio 5, how should it be best autostarted

2. Comparison between CF1.1 and CF2 on WM5. Here is a blog which states that CF2 has improvements in garbage collection and memory mgmt over CF1.1. See http://blogs.msdn.com/Maoni/. Any comments or suggestions for using CF2?

3. Wake Ups setting in the POWER section of the settings tab. There is an "other" switch available, what does it mean?

4. What are API calls to Warm boot / Cold boot / Clean boot an MC70?

5. Can a customer modify the memory allocation on WM5? Within /root or between /application and /root, etc.

Please let us know what best way is to get these (and other) questions answered, or if there are sources where we can help ourselves and get these answered? Thanks for starting this thread, hope you don't regret it :-)

Regards,

Manuel Kamer

Symbol Technologies

201-678-8176

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
IAN HATTON'S SUGGESTIONS ON

IAN HATTON'S SUGGESTIONS ON WM5.0 possible training session.  The topics which I would like to see covered would include:

1. Overview of WM 5.0 - this is the material which Chuck has already prepared and presented as a webinar.

2. WM 5.0 application compatibility - list of existing third party applications which we know are currently not working on WM 5.0 ( e.g. Airbeam Safe VPN client ) and status on updating them to be compatible.

3. Application installation issues - how best to move from current installation techniques ( TCM/heximages and/or REG/CPY files ) to the new model in WM 5.0 which is either REG/CPY or XML provisioning. What are the benefits of using XML provisioning vs the traditional REG/CPY system?

4. Application performance issues - how the performance of an application using flash or RAM memory for data storage under WM2003 will vary on WM 5.0 and how it can be optimized for speed on the new OS.

5. Cache disk - how is this disk resized and how can it be used to maximize performance on high transaction database applications .What are the drawbacks of using cache disk rather than flash?

6. Warm/cold/clean boot - how this is used in practice and the techniques for clean booting a unit to clear out either the root file system and/or the application folder

7. WM 5.0 Security model - how is this configured and when can it be useful e.g to lock down a device which is sent to a customer for demonstration.

8. WCELOAD.EXE - this works slightly differently on WM 5.0 compared to previous versions of the OS . Explain the new command line options and how to install a CAB file silently i.e. without user interaction.

9. Keyboard remapping - this is also slightly different compared to WM2003 and needs to be explained so that the SE's understand how to use it on the new hardware.

10. Bluetooth capability - the BT hardware on the MC70 and 9090 is significantly enhanced compared to the older generation units such as the 9060 . We need to explain the new features and how to configure the radio to connect to different BT devices such as a headset , printer etc. Also , which registry keys to use to set defaults for the BT radio.

11. Fusion 2 radio driver - this is also enhanced significantly and needs to be covered in detail.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
On the PPC to PPC 2002

On the PPC to PPC 2002 release there was a columned comparison of supported features between the different O/S’s. I believe that this was created by Microsoft, but I would find something similar as a reference to use when talking to customers. Items that I believe that should be outlined would be API differences between the OS, and any difference in our scanning and WLAN drivers. ( I have seen that our Fusion software will not support all of the API’s that Mobile Companion has… a side by side comparison would be beneficial.)

Regards,

Richard A. Baker Jr.

Systems Engineer

Symbol Technologies

Federal Sales

(937)558-1586 (O)

(937)602-5244 (C)

Symbol, The Enterprise Mobility Company™

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Rob Fitton
Pat, I think the most

Pat,

I think the most common question right now is can the WM2003 application directly port over to WM2005 . If yes, what are the things need to be done.

There are also cases where application running efficiently on the WM2003 devices, but when it is port over to the WM2005 device, the performance is very sluggish. Why ?

Thanks

AT Lim

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

wayne wright
Has anyone experienced

Has anyone experienced performance differences between our MC9090 and other WM2005 PDA's?

SC Logic tested an HP iPAQ 2495 running Windows Mobile 5.0 with the Alpha model MC9090 (MC9090-KK0HJFFA6WW   SN:ALP83546) and found the MC9090 to be 4 to 5 times SLOWER than the HP iPAQ:

1).    we were lwriting to the File System (which I suppose means Flash.)  We tried:

-Copying a 2.91MB file from My Documents to Personal folder. On the iPAQ, it took 7 seconds and on the MC9090, it took 28 sec.

-Interestingly, copying the same 2.91MB file from a PC to the Personal folder via ActiveSync (USB) takes about 10 seconds on both devices.

2)         Is there a database (3rd party or home-grown)on the MC9090?

-We use Extended Systems OneBridge Mobile Objects for data transfer between the handheld and the server (each table is stored as an individual file.)  On the iPAQ, it takes about 3 seconds to save a recordset with 1000 records.  On the MC9090, it takes 15 seconds. 

-We have also tried a very simple SQL Server CE 3.0 application that just does simple record inserts.  With SQL Server, the performance on the iPAQ  and the MC9090 were about the same.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’