4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 1:54 PM by Derek Warren

RhoMobile Suite V2

Hi Everybody,

I really need help understanding what is going on with V2, as I am very confused...

1.) As far as I know, before RhoMobile Suite V2, we used to have the RhoMobile components (Rhodes/RhoConnect,..) to build native apps, and RhoElements V1 that acts like a container/render engine and give us the ability to perform device capabilities calls.

2.) Then we've been Told that RhoElements V2 will be merged with RhoMobile.

3.) Now after I downloaded RhoMobile Suite V2, I found out that I have 3 RhoElements runtime installers under C:\MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5\RhoElements2 Shared Runtime. That seems the same as the old RhoElements V1, correct? so I don't understand why these installers are still there?

4.) Also, now when creating a RhoMobile application, you can specify if you want to Use RhoElements, what does that mean? The RhoElements app that will be created through RhoStudio just like a Rhodes app, will it need to use Ruby? I don't understand the difference and why would the person choose to Use RhoElements when creating the app? are those Native Apps we're creating from there? and if so, does that mean that RhoElements V2 offers the option of a native app and a hybrid app? (RhoMobile app and RhoElements Runtime app?)

5.) if I choose to keep using RhoElements runtime (just like V1), will it be possible to target iPhone/Android/WM/WP/BB? or will I need to use the Native App to do that?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Jonathan

• Re: RhoMobile Suite V2

The reasons you have the different installers is because if you want to test the app on the device,so you need that based on the device,but if you are simulating on your machine,then you dont need them.

• Re: RhoMobile Suite V2
            Derek Warren

1.) As far as I know, before RhoMobile Suite V2, we used to have the RhoMobile components (Rhodes/RhoConnect,..) to build native apps, and RhoElements V1 that acts like a container/render engine and give us the ability to perform device capabilities calls.

This was correct

2.) Then we've been Told that RhoElements V2 will be merged with RhoMobile.

Yes, RhoElements v2 is a combination of RhoMobile and RhoElements into our new product called RhoMobile Suite.

The RhoMobile Suite is composed of:

-RhoStudio (IDE)

-RhoElements v2 (Native and Runtime(Web Based))

-RhoConnect

-RhoHub

3.) Now after I downloaded RhoMobile Suite V2, I found out that I have 3 RhoElements runtime installers under C:\MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5\RhoElements2 Shared Runtime. That seems the same as the old RhoElements V1, correct? so I don't understand why these installers are still there?

These are installers on the device (cab for Windows CE/Mob and apk for Android). They may look the same but they are updated runtimes compared to the last pre-2.0 RhoElements release.

4.) Also, now when creating a RhoMobile application, you can specify if you want to Use RhoElements, what does that mean? The RhoElements app that will be created through RhoStudio just like a Rhodes app, will it need to use Ruby? I don't understand the difference and why would the person choose to Use RhoElements when creating the app? are those Native Apps we're creating from there? and if so, does that mean that RhoElements V2 offers the option of a native app and a hybrid app? (RhoMobile app and RhoElements Runtime app?)

If you are building a native application then you would have to declare if you plan to use some of the enterprise capabilities leverage by RhoElements for info for what the enterprise capabilties are can be located here: http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhoelements/apicompatibility

RhoElements v2 offers the ability to develop either a native application or a hybrid (web based) application. The native application will be compiled into device specific code.

5.) if I choose to keep using RhoElements runtime (just like V1), will it be possible to target iPhone/Android/WM/WP/BB? or will I need to use the Native App to do that?

Currently the APIs leveraged in RE v1 for web based applications can only be used with Motorola Devices, but future versions might be able to target other platforms. But the beauty of the framework would allow you to leverage alot of your existing HTML, JS, and CSS code on the web based application into a native application.