AppCenter on NGW

We are looking for SE opinions here - please reply to this post with your input:

We generally release Odyssey’s APPCENTER on our mobile computers.

The NG wearable is a CE 5.0 device.  There is not touch screen, since it would not survive the application, our customer agree with this choice.  To release APPCENTER for the NG Wearable, Odyssey would have to modify it to accommodate the lack of a touch screen, this effort would cost ~ $15,000.

Do you think APPCENTER is important for a CE device? Or are we obligate to support it to be consistent with our other mobile computers? Or is it a “don’t care”.?

I would appreciate your teams opinion.

Thx - Rob

Marc-Andre Giroux
I would say this is a

I would say this is a requirement for most of our customers.

Why get Odyssey to build it? Why not incorporate that functionality into MSP?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
I believe a lock down feature

I believe a lock down feature is critical but should be offered in the proper product... I'm referring to MSP. I’d strongly suggest we invest the $15k in a partner and have them build a device access profile in MSP. This profile is simply assigned to groups of managed devices. Similar to the device configuration profile, the new device access profile (for instance) can be applied to devices automatically whenever the configuration profile is synchronized with the server. This will eliminate the need to manually build initial and subsequent changes to AppCentre, re-packaging and re-provisioning jobs followed by intrusive cold boots. The MSPA agent is the perfect foundation to building this extension.

This will not only knock off countless GRIPS, but put us above our competition. Not to mention higher MSP and device license revenue reaped from such a feature. A feature that lends itself to not only one device, but to many.

$15K USD in Canada will go a long way. Let's spend our hard earned money wisely and work toward the bigger picture. There are huge benefits with offering a tight and comprehensive solution… besides that’s what Symbol… the enterprise company… does…. right?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Joe Costa
The real question is whether

The real question is whether Symbol should PAY Odyssey to develop a version of AppCenter that SOME WT4090 users feel their users would demand. The demand, of couirse, is less for a CE.NET unit as all should agree.

There actually is another alternative.

Consider Telnet clients which are licensed (free) for the Gun based terminals but not the brick based ones,  Brick users can BUY Telnet clients.

If there really is a market for AppCenter for CE.NET units, Odyssey could develop it on its own and sell it directly, through distribution or even through Symbol.

I wonder what the competition does for their Pocket PC and CE.NET units.

Remember also, should we make a fundamental change on the product that makes any version of obsolete, Symbol would be the one expected to come up with money to pay for a new version.  Such is already happening with AppCenter 2.0.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jack Burleson
Spend the $15K and port

Spend the $15K and port AppCenter.  At many customers, including the large Home Improvement chain I support, AppCenter has become their "approved standard" for locking down / securing the Windows OS devices.  Not having AppCenter would require considerable field work with customers to get something new "recertified".

Adding similar support to MSP is good, but would be most applicable to newer customers as we move forward!

Thanks!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan Obregon
AppCenter is a very useful

AppCenter is a very useful tool that most of my customers use.

I think that we should keep the tool in all our products or we will force our customers to have different tools for each OS.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Joe Costa
If we can get the same

If we can get the same functionality through the proposed boot up menu on the WT4090, I think that would be a better way to go for a variety of reasons.

This is both a CE.NET unit and a non-touch screen unit. Both mitigate against Appcenter.

There are no games or browser to lock out. AppCenter would be overkill.

Setting a precedent for AppCenter would have negative consequences for future application specific terminals.

If a future version of the WT4090 becomes a general purpose, WM 5.0, touch device, addresses other markets, the issue can be revisted.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
Team,   I also think this

Team,

I also think this would be an overkill due to what Joe pointed out with no touch screen and CE5.0.  I like the fact of having a Menu that would allow the user to customize if possible via a Reg file or INI file that allows you to add an application to the menu and be able to change the default password so they can exit out to the desktop.

Sincerely,

Mark

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Serge Larose
IT is important to keep

IT is important to keep AppCenter free and available for all Symbol line. Most of my customers are using Appcenter. It is a very good tool, and a powerful sale tool.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Charles Brugger
AppCenter is a real

AppCenter is a real differentiator in the field. It is the answer to one of the most often questions--How do I lock out users to only those apps I want them to run? 

Lastly, the $15K is not much when you consider the additional revenue it will generate versus the revenue lost due to not having it.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Herrod
I agree that integration with

I agree that integration with MSP is key.  It is less clear to me that it would be better to redevelop from scratch what already has a strong track record in AppCenter.  What has been hard about AppCenter has been getting it configured properly and, especially, making it work with MSP.

Beginning with MSP 3.0, AppCenter support is planned to be PLANNED IN, configurable, tested, and FORMALLY SUPPORTED.  I really cannot see us getting a SUPPORTABLE new product developed for $15K US.  But if we get a compatible version of AppCenter done for non-touch devices, for that money, it sets us up to have ONE standard for MSP integration - AppCenter.

So, my recommendation would be to leave it to Odyssey, a proven partner, to keep AppCenter working on all applicable Symbol devices.  And then, in cooperation with Odyssey, make MSP automate the configuration of AppCenter on ANY device on which it is used in a way that is easy and obvious.  For example, when provisioning a new application to a device, it should be EASY from MSP to automatically approve that application for use.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Matheson
AppCenter is a must have for

AppCenter is a must have for all our devices. It has become the standard for locking devices down. As Peter and Allan has mentioned, taking it a step further into MSP is even better. We need Appcenter for all customers whether they use MSP or not but to benefit the MSP customers (or help sell more MSP), providing the ability to dynamically control Appcenter would be a huge upside.

15k is pocket change compared to the return value.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Afshin Mansoorieh
the ability to lock down a

the ability to lock down a device is very important to most customers. we need to pick a solution and roll with it across the product line.

a customer may have handheld devices, VRCs and wearables in a DC. we need to let the customer manage their devices using the same utility across the board.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Uecker
Afshin is 100% correct with

Afshin is 100% correct with his reply.  We need to provide a consistent lockdown methodology across our product line.  AppCenter seems to be the product of choice for most client-based applications.  Wavelink emulation has its own lockdown parameters, so if customers are only using it, they don't need AppCenter.  However, for most others, AppCenter is the product of choice.

On a related note, I was recently told that AppCenter does not run on the MC1000 either.  Is this true?  If so, this could also be a problem.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’