MC9090 WM5.0 Rev C Radio Disabling

Wondering if anyone is seeing the radio on MC9090 WM5.0 disabling by itself, particularly for Rev C? A warm boot doesn't set the anomaly straight. The customer needs to drop out of AppCenter, launch wireless companion, and click on "Enable Radio".

Customer is not quite sure why this is occurring on Rev C and not seeing this behaviour on Rev B. Anyone else seeing such display? Is there yet another fix?

Robin West
This is an update to the

This is an update to the quandary... partner has ineffectively managed the case and therefore solved something that really wasn't happening. What was really happening is similar to Marc Fluhrer posts but not exactly. However, Sean Wheatley's post is ban-on the symptoms resported by the customer.

The customer has approximately 20 MC9090 WM 5.0 equally divided in 2 OSes, Rev B and Rev C. Users have distinctly noticed devices not communicating to the printer. Since their .NET application supports store and forward it's not quite sure when the radio is intermittently disabled, during communication or operations or resuming from a suspend state. Since a warm/cold boot doesn't help, end-users have to exit from Appcenter, launch wireless companion and click on "Enable Radio"... 2 features not included in Rev B.  

Marc and Sean, have you noticed a new radio managing feature on the Today screen specifically on Rev C? This allows one to enable/disable the radio. We suspect this new feature of AKU 2.2.1 is not interfacing properly with the new conFusion 2.4.

As a quick workaround, anyone aware of way to bring the icon/link of radio enabling UI to Appcenter panel? This would allow end-users to simply click on this icon without having to exit from appcenter. At a minimum, a symscript script would do. Paul Hurford... any thoughts?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

paul hurford
Hello Peter, You could with

Hello Peter,

You could with a script power the radio on. This may allow you to work around the issue. I disabled the radio on a MC70 and used the script command DEVICEPOWER WLP1: 0 1 - this turned the radio on and allowed it to associated to an AP. If this works when you see the issue you have a couple of ways to use the script.

1) You could have a key sequence that when pressed runs some script to power the radio back on.

2) You could check in the script to see if you have connectivity, if not force the radio on and wait and retry.

3)One of the new commands I have added to the script for the next release is NotifyAddressChange() – This command will notify you when the IP address changes for any reason i.e. DHCP, dialing a GPRS connection. If you are using DHCP, when the radio is powered off you should get notified - as the IP address will be lost and run some script which can re-enable the radio. This would allow an automated way to recover the radio.

If you wish to try please let me know.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
I like Paul's suggestion here

I like Paul's suggestion here, but if that is not OK, the other option is to put WCLaunch into AppCenter.  THis is the task try icon.  If you try running it a second time it will open the menu for you, thus allowing a user to select Enable Radio.

-Dave

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Dave, the trouble with using

Dave, the trouble with using the wireless companion applet (tray UI) is the customer can disable the radio even when everything is working properly, thus potentially creating more problems for themselves.

Paul, would you have a script that resticts one from disabling the radio but only enabling it without negative implications if it's invoked multiple times?

I'm curious, how does one know which registry keys and value drive/manage this particulr feature and generally others?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

paul hurford
Hello Peter, I would

Hello Peter,

I would envisage the script running in the background, hidden. If it detects a loss of IP address force the radio on i.e. do its best to ensure the radio is always on.

The user would have no interaction with the script, so no chance of disabling the radio.

I will put a script together - if you can test.

But this should only be a short term workaround until the root cause of the issue is address.

thanks
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
According to page 8 of the

According to page 8 of the attached training document, there are REG keys that can be used to remove menu items from the Wireless Companion utility.  The document doesn't give any more detail than this.  Anyone know what the REG keys are?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Luis Rios Chiquete
Peter, Did you open a case

Peter,

Did you open a case for this? We are receiving a customer complain about the same issue. We just upgraded over a thousand MC9090s WM 5.0 to Rev. C and some radios are turning off after suspend / resume cycle. Customer uses CISCO infrastructure.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Luis, There are several cases

Luis,

There are several cases on this. My case (1105819) was merged with the customer's case (1106008), so not to duplicate efforts. Based on Marc Flurher's post, he has a case opened on this issue.

I believe Art Gabriellini from the TAC is working the case. As a quick fix, Paul Hurford (SymScript guru) provided me a script to test. It works, but need manual intervention. I'm working on building a AB package for our customer to simplify deployment. Will post once completed.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
To all who is seeing the

To all who is seeing the Fusion radio senselessly disabling behind the scenes, I've attached files that once installed a background script would repeatedly check the radio status and turn it on if it's not. I've built an AB package so as to facilitate deployment. Note, it is not pre-licensed with an AB key, and as is, will only work with MSP or an AB licensed device.

I've included the build files and AB .apr file if you wish to change the installation behavior of the package. This package will install, place files in their respective locations and perform a warm-boot. Although, you can change the package to auto-execute, I find the process works better when it's followed by a warm-boot.

This is by all means not a permanent fix and caution should be used. Please test in your customer's environment thoroughly before production deployment.

Recognition for the script goes all to Paul Hurford... Paul... a big thank you for building the script to address this particular case.

One final note, the script have some debugging hooks, that I've turned off by remarking several lines of code. They're triggered by keys (1, 2 & Func-F10), see the script for further info.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Hayden Eastman
We are experiencing a very

We are experiencing a very similar issue with a new roll out.  We currently have 24 Rev C devices at a store on a Cisco wireless network where the Fusion radio goes mysteriously to a disabled state.  We tried Paul's Symscript solution and it seems to have worked.  I repackaged it as a cab file for anyone interested (attached).  We have not been able to get any closer to the root cause so I'm about to open a new case.  Could anyone else who has a case opened on this issue please respond to me with the case number?  I have Peter's case number but I'd like to reference all related cases in mine.

Thanks,

Hayden Eastman

CSE II Southeast Area

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
Hayden,   SPR 12594 has been

Hayden,

SPR 12594 has been opened for this issue, and I have directed it to the Fusion team's attention (Fusion 2.4 is not transitioned into ECRT yet).  So far, the following Tier 2 support cases are already opened: 1196008 and 1199599.

-Dave

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Herrod
This script sounds like a

This script sounds like a great temporary workaround, but it should be noted that it probably should not be used by anyone that needs to manually turn off the radio, such as when getting on an airplane or in hospital environments, etc.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

paul hurford
Hi Allan, I agree will your

Hi Allan,

I agree will your comments and its prephaps something that has been overlooked. The script can be modified so that a 'hot' key can be defined to disable the radio i.e. 'flight mode'

If anyone would like this added to the script please let me know. i.e. a hot key that will disable all the radios.

thanks

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Frther investigation led us

Frther investigation led us to believe this issue was contributed by abruptly removing the battery while the Fusion drivers were loading. This particular process causes the unit to perform a warm-boot instead of returning back to the last screen. In some of these cases, it would disable the radio following the unexpected warm-boot. The TAC came back with a very simple solution: It refers to the old acronym "RTFM".... or diplomatically said "Please follow the battery removal procedure described in the reference manual".

This procedure addresses the problem raised by the customer.... case closed.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Sean Wheatley
Pete, I may have seen this as

Pete,

I may have seen this as well although it happened just the once so far and guessed that somebody must of  exited Appcenter and manually disabled instead.

I have 2 revC WM5 9090 on trial at a site and the radio on one of them was disabled. Its only been a few weeks since they were installed and it has happened only once. The supervisor knew the appcenter password "symbol" and its possible he shared it with others. I have requested that the password is changed and kept secret, and I'll let you know if it happens again.

Sean.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marc Fluhrer
I have a case open for a

I have a case open for a customer on the same issue. They have tried both Rev A and Rev C, Wavelink telnet 5.11-15. The unit suspends, when they wake it up they cannot connect to the host anymore. If you close the Telnet client the NicTT(fusion) icon has an X through it. You cannot press Connect in the profiles because it will tell you the radio is not installed. If you go to the fusion log it shows "State:Unbound".

A warm boot fixes it, but not the solution. It happens all day to all users.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Paul, thank you for your

Paul, thank you for your continuous support with unravelling stickly situations the field is often faced with. I look forward to that script running in the background, as you suggested. That sounds more user friendly. However, you must know that Symscript will be invoked upon booting (all boot types) to address another issue with upgrading WM5.0 OS.

Would one script affect the other, given they could at any given time run concurrently?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’