7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 5:28 AM by Klaus Heim

Problems moving from PocketBrowser to RhoElements

Andrew Pengelly

We have a web style application that currently operates on Motorola MC3090's with CE 5.x running PocketBrowser 2.x and has worked happily for years.  Recently we purchased the new MC3190's with CE 6.0 which meant a move to PocketBrowser 3.x.  Unfortuantely we encountered problems with PB 3.x that we have so far not managed to resolve (MC3190 randomly freezes).  The suggestion from Motorola was to try RhoElements as an alternative to PB 3 to see if the problem went away.  So far we have not manged to get RhoElement working successfully either.  Here's a summary of what we are trying to do and the problems we encountered.  Any usefull suggestions on how we resolve these problems will be appreciated.

Application

As stated the application is a web style app that talsk to an SAP host.  The browser requirement is for a browser without an address bar (we don't want users trying to surf the web), plus it maust be able to accept barcode scans into the data fields.  PB 2.x did this perfectly with just a few simple CONFIG.XML settings.  PB 3.x also worked with the same settings but the units kept freezing.  So over to RE.

RhoElements 1.0.3.11

This appears to do 90% of the job however we encounter 2 problems

The first problem encountered is when we scan barcodes all we get is a decode beep but no data is being displayed in the application data entry field.  Manual key entry works fine.  The CONFIG.XML setting for the scanner are set as follows.  Am I missing something?  Or does this mean a total rewrite of our current web application to make it work with RE?

<DefaultMetaTags>

<MetaTag VALUE="Scanner~enabled" />

<MetaTag VALUE="Scanner~autoEnter:disabled" />

<MetaTag VALUE="Scanner~autoTab:enabled" />

</DefaultMetaTags>

The second problem I like to refer to as the White Screen of Nowhere.  If I direct RE to a page that does not exist I expect the BadLinkURI setting to come into play (as per default setting below).  Instead I keep getting a blank white screen.  The only work around I can find is to enable the QuitButton and restart my RE session.  No other keys such as backspace seem to work in this situation.

<BadLinkURI value="file://\Program Files\RhoElements\HTML\BadLink.html"/>

RhoElements 2.0.5.27.0

Since 1.03.11 wasn't working we hoped a newer version would fix some of the problems.  Unfortunately it my first attempt to use it has presented me with a White Screen of Nowhere a the spinning rainbow wheel which won't go away.  Interestingly enough my usual recovery plan is also no use as the QuitButton has not displayed.  Below are the CONFIG.XML settings I used for this.  I can see the ReloadButton but not the QuitButton.  It would seem that RE 2.x can't handle

<DefaultMetaTags>

<MetaTag VALUE="KeyCapture~AccelerateKey:All;" />

<MetaTag VALUE="TopCommandArea~visibility:visible"/>

<MetaTag value="ReloadButton~Visibility:Visible;"/>

<MetaTag value="QuitButton~Visibility:Visible;"/>

<MetaTag VALUE="BottomCommandArea~visibility:visible"/>

</DefaultMetaTags>

So any suggestions on how to get this working will be appreciated?  or should we go back to PB or some other browser environment?

• Re: Problems moving from PocketBrowser to RhoElements
          Darryn Campbell

Hi Andrew,

Let's take this one step at a time:

1) Can you please describe the 'random freezes' of the MC9190 with PB3, is the whole device locked up?  Does the browser just not navigate anywhere?  Do you see the spinning wait cursor?

2) In terms of appearance are the 'random freezes' and 'white screen of nowhere' identical?  What is the use case for trying to navigate to a page which does not exist?  Is this a start page which doesn't exist?

FYI PB3 & RE1.0 share a very similar code base for the Scanner

In RE2 I moved the quit button to the bottom right of the screen by default, perhaps it is underneath the command are (though it shouldn't be!) Try positioning the Quit button, e.g. <metatag Value="QuitButton~Visibility:Visible;Top:50;Left:50" />.  If you're wondering why I moved it's because I swapped the default positions of the SIP and Quit debug buttons, having the SIP button at the bottom of the screen was a bad idea since it got hidden by the SIP when it was shown.

Andrew Pengelly

Hi Darryn

Thanks for taking an interest. To clarify the points you’ve raised ..

1.       The device is the MC3190 and the initial freeze problem is a PocketBrowser issue where the spinning wait cursor stops spinning and the only recovery is to remove the battery forcing a reboot.  The freeze happens randomly over time but typically units won’t last more than a couple of days in operation. Some testing late last week may have narrowed the problem down to the latest OS version CE 6, OEM version 04.32.0003.  It seems we can get MS IE to freeze in a similar manner using this OS.  Some further testing is required to confirm this.

2.       RE is different in that we can repeatedly get the blank white screen simply by starting up with an unreachable start page.  This is a real life scenario where a user starts the unit and the network is down.  I would have thought RE could handle a simple test like this.

3.       Apart from the problem with unreachable URL’s the real problem is how RE handles barcode reading.  PB automatically put the barcode data into the text input field that was currently selected.  RE does not.  A simple test is to select the address bar and read a barcode.  The barcode data should be written into the address bar.  Alternatively pull up a web page with a form to fill out and do the same test.  Again no display of the data.  What are we doing wrong?

Andrew Pengelly

Datacom South Island Ltd |  67 Gloucester Street,Christchurch, 8013  New Zealand

andrewpe@datacom.co.nz<mailto:andrewpe@datacom.co.nz> |  Ph: +64-3-363 3234  |  Fax: +64-3-365 3819  |  Mob: +64-21-928 984

www.datacom.co.nz<http://intranet/new/Docs/Datacom%20LOGOS/www.datacom.co.nz>  |  PO Box 13510, Christchurch 8141

Andrew Pengelly

Nice try but I'd like to stick with PocketBrowser or RhoElements as we have a support agreement with Motorola for hardware and software.

Andrew Pengelly

Well looks like I got an answer to the problem with RE hanging when the start up page is not available.  It seems it is a "design feature".  Here's the relevant page from the docuemntation that specifically says it won't work -

Navigation\\NavTimeout NAVTIMEOUT

Number of milliseconds before the browser times out and navigates to the page specified in the badlink setting. If it is determined that the destination is unreachable regardless of wait time, the badlink may be loaded before NAVTIMEOUT

Note that the navigation timeout will not be invoked when navigating to the start page, best practise is to store your first page locally to avoid connectivity issues at start up, you can then redirect to an online page if desired.

So looks like we need to add an extra local page to our device just so that RE will start up.  If you don't you will end up pulling a battery and rebooting.

Darryn Campbell

Hi Andrew,

Sorry it's taken a while to respond.

I can assure you that is on the backlog of bugs to fix, it won't be that way forever and it wasn't by design.  I don't have a timescale on that I'm afraid though.

I tried the scanner in wedge mode (key injection onto page without using decodeEvent) and it worked fine for me, can you please ensure that you have not defined a decodeEvent for the Scanner and also that you have focus in the text field to receive the scanned input.  You should not have to rewrite your application at all.  As a last resort you could try defining the decodeEvent and populating your text field via your javascript function.

Your first point should be resolved in RhoElements 2.1 being released shortly, I've written a blog post which you might find useful: https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/community/rhomobile-suite/docs/developer-reference/blog/2012/06/29/accessing-the-shared-runtime

Andrew Pengelly

Hi Darryn

When you say "wedge mode" is this a special setting in the CONFIG.XML or are you referring to the DataWedge utility that is on the MC3190? The only scanner specific config settings I can identify are as follows -

So there is nothing in my CONFIG.XML file that defines the decodeEvent.  I’m assuming this is more of a programming function than a config setting.  If so I have no control over that as I can’t control how other people’s web sites are programmed.  I’ve attached the config file if that helps.

Remember I’m simply trying to get RhoElements working as a simple browser with the barcode scanner available for data entry.  There is no Rho programming code on the web sites we are connecting to at this stage.

Andrew Pengelly

Klaus Heim

Hi Darryn,

I have tested the BadLink.html configuration with RhoElements V1.0.2.3 and V1.0.3.11. With V1.0.2.3 the BadLink.html page will be displayed. The newer Version of RhoElements will display the white display of Nowhere. I think, thats a feature of V1.0.3.11. One Note: With the configuration of "file://\Program File\RhoElements\HTML\BadLink.html" the BadLink.html will not be found. My solution was <BadLinkURI value="file://%INSTALLDIR%\HTML\BadLink.html"/>.

I also tested your scanner configuration with V1.0.3.11. The scanned input were display in the input field. For me it works as expected. I have installed the Motorola DataWedge on the Motorola MC55 device, but the DataWedge is stopped. When the scanner is "disabled" (<MetaTag VALUE="Scanner~disabled"/>) no scanning is possible.

With RhoElements V2.0.5.27.0 I found no way to set the focus to the input field. How do you set the focus?

1 of 1 people found this helpful