Competitive Facts and Rumours...

Hi All,

I am putting all of your contributions on Devcentral together. I would welcome your feedback about the latest happenings from our competition so I can begin compiling your ideas into regular updates.

Over the next few weeks my focus competitors are HHP and Psion. Any news you have on them, or rather, their "Strengths" and "Weaknesses" is greatly received at robert.youdale@symbol.com

Thanks

Rob

MCD Marketing
Robert Youdale
Updated version which

Updated version which includes Ian's comments.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
ok everyone... This is a

ok everyone...

This is a device I think you may start to see..the HHP7600. If you have some news on it, great.

Robbie
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
Intermec CN3 latest snapshot

Intermec CN3 latest snapshot (13th of Dec).

Incs latest technical field feedback and pricing information.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
Hi All, Would love to hear

Hi All,

Would love to hear your feedback if you have recently encountered Opticon.  They have two new products they are bringing to market, the H16 and H19.  I have basic overviews but would like some "real-world" information about their strengths or weaknesses.

http://compass.mot.com/go/239998180
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
Hi All, Please see a new

Hi All,

Please see a new competitive presentation on the Motorola HC-700.

Feedback and updates on the information are always welcomed.

Thanks,

Rob
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Royal Taylor
Rob, We are currently taking

Rob,

We are currently taking over business from Psion/Teklogix in a grocer. They purchased P/T 7530 mobile computers about a year and a half ago and have had nothing but trouble.

Their largest problem has been the batteries. They are on their 3rd generation of battery and they are still failing, or because of the poor design they have to use screw drivers to pry the batteries off of the device so that they can be changed.

Another major problem has been the charging cradles. The contacts in them break frequently and have to be replaced.

When I was at the customer site on Friday they have 12 more New Teklogix guns with problems that need to be sent back for repair.

This customer has 4 or 5 DC's and over the past year and a half they have only been able to roll out one of them because of all the problems with the Teklogix devices.

About 2 months ago they decided to do another bake off with Symbol, LXE and HHP devices. We won hands down and they are currently rolling out our devices in 3 of their DC's replacing the old Teklogix devices that have gone end of life.

The customer is beginning legal action against Psion/Teklogix in an attempt to get back some of what they have paid for these very problematic devices.

I can talk further with the customer if you would like more details.

Thanks,

Royal
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
Hi All, Here is a brief

Hi All,

Here is a brief overview of the summer terminal launch from Datalogic..

The Skorpio. Compares to our MC3000 brick verion.

Cheers,

Rob
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Richard Nedwich
Checking the product web site

Checking the product web site:

http://www.datalogic.com/_vti_g2_p_det.aspx?idp=e7a3ea6d-c1b8-40ed-bfda-9009003187ac&rpstry=17_#Specifications

From a voice perspective, there is no indication this device supports voice, so MC3000 Brick (not gun) has the following differentiation:

1) MC3090 supports push-to-talk applications (such as Any Corner's Hip Voice software)

2) MC3090 supports SIP, and IP telephony applications (such as IP Blue's VT Go! software)

3) MC3090 supports voice directed picking (such as Voxware and Genesta)

4) MC3090 supports audio with handset, headset and speakerphone modesk

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Rob,   It's quite interesting

Rob,

It's quite interesting to compare the internal photos of the CN3 posted on the FCC website (attached here also) with the MC70. The build quality of the MC70 looks a lot better by comparison even assuming that both of the units submitted for FCC approval were pre-production or alpha units. It also highlights the following:

a) CN3 is using the same Siemens MC75 GSM module as MC70 but the internal antenna may have poorer coverage than the MC70 design

b) the speaker on the back casing of the CN3 looks very small - this may be a problem if using the unit in noisy environments

c) SIMM card holder looks pretty flimsy and is not a commonly used design as with the MC70

I'm not sure if we are allowed to use these pictures publically without violating FCC rules (may be worthwhile checking this point) but they are interesting for internal use and understanding of the hardware design. Note also that the CN3 user guide is also available for download from the same location (also attached).

Best Regards,

Ian Hatton

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

DevCentral Admin
Rob,   good summary, quick

Rob,

good summary,

quick point though, has anyone actually seen screenshots or real data for the Motorola management product. Reading the web it seems rather like a development environment that could be used to develop management applications rather than an off the shelf product.

I would be really interested if anyone does have some real collateral.

Thanks

Phil Keeley

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
Hi All, In answer to a few

Hi All,

In answer to a few questions on MTBF from MCD:

"TEAM: We don't supply MTBF info on our devices outside of Symbol.

MTBF data can be found at the following link:

http://opsweb.symbol.com/qane_test_lab/MTBF Links.htm

The above link provides 'theoretical' MTBF data – calculated by Quality Engineering – on specific products, including the MC9060-G. MTBF is a component-level reliability analysis that does not take into account drop and how the product is used.

If you are looking for 'real-world' MTBR (mean time between return/repair) data, please follow up with Alan Feigenbaum in Services.

Summary: stay away from MTBF – particularly the component-level reliability theoretical calculation. Rather consider using the "Average Return Rate" figures from service."

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Robert Youdale
Hi All! I have consolidated

Hi All!

I have consolidated all of your comments on the CN3 into one presentation, along with some feedback from the salesforce I am receiving.

Let me know if you have more silver bullets we should all know about.

There should be more details coming after a webinar next Tuesday.

The latest versions will be on Salesinsight's competitive portal.

Cheers,

Rob
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’