Changes to Daylight Savings time and how it affects our mobile computing line

As you are aware, legislation has been enacted to modify daylight savings time. Because of this “Energy Policy Act”, daylight saving time is extended by four weeks starting in 2007. Daylight saving time starts at 02:00 A.M. on March 11, 2007 and ends at 02:00 A.M. on November 4, 2007. On March 11, 2007, clocks will move forward one hour from 01:59 A.M. to 03:00 A.M. On November 4, 2007, clocks will move back one hour from 01:59 A.M. to 01:00 A.M.

With that said, we will need a solution or positional statement as to how we are going to direct our customers and partners in enablement of these changes. More critically – especially with our devices used in medical applications for patient pharma dosing and delivery – will be how these changes are implemented in our devices already deployed (or about to be deployed) in these environments. As you can imagine, this could a substantial problem as these devices are relied upon for time-critical applications in scheduled delivery of meds to patients.

According to a snippet on Microsoft's site (especially that last sentence):

"Important The following changes modify the registry and could make a Windows Mobile-based device unstable if these changes are applied incorrectly. End-users should check whether this update is available from the device manufacturer."

For more details, see the article on Microsoft’s site at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=923953

If anyone has any ideas as to how we can address this situation, please share.

Regards,

Kevin Lollock

Christopher Sather
Here are some links provided

Here are some links provided by a Mircrosoft TAM.  It looks like the DST patch is a QFE from July 2006.   It aslo looks like we would need this in all CE4.2, PPC2003, CE5, and WM05 OS builds for each device.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=923027 - How to configure daylight saving time for the United States and Canada in 2007 and in subsequent years on Windows CE-based devices

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=923953 - How to configure daylight saving time for the United States and Canada in 2007 and in subsequent years on Windows Mobile-based devices

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
It gets more complicated. 

It gets more complicated.  For CE5.0, two QFE's are required. 

Looks like this DST issue need 2 QFEs  KB921095 and KB923027

Second one KB923027 is not in the system, as it was not a part of a monthly QFE collection up to now.  The Knowledge Base link for the source code fix (KB921095) is missing from Microsoft site at the moment. (May be they are closing the work for this month and preparing the QFE pack for the month of October).

I happened to be working on testing a custom CE5 OS that had KB92015 applied.  The clock did not change.  I looked in the registry, and the original key values were still set.  I reset the reg keys to the new values, and then it worked.

The custom products engineer did some digging and found that the timesvc.dll and coredll.dll also need updating.

I will be asking Microsoft to clarify as well.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Matheson
Are we posting patches (CAB's

Are we posting patches (CAB's, .reg files etc.)for various OS releases to update DST changes? There was mention last year about posting patches to Betazone but I do not see anything. Given how quickly the new DST date is approaching, can we get some confirmation about what Motorola is providing (or not) and where and when? I understand OS updates to WM5 and CE5 will add support for this but specifically I am looking for WM03 and CE 4.2 based devices.

Chris

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
please use the  SPR12467

please use the  SPR12467 positng on betazone. It is going to be updated soon with a new fix from microsft but this SPR should be used to track any issues

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Harold Reeves
Microsoft has now published

Microsoft has now published two web resources for help with this, including downloads for each platform from Microsoft.

The generic starting place is = http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

For Windows Mobile = http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/daylightsaving/default.mspx
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Greg Hillis
Team, So this has been

Team,
So this has been validated and tested by us as a "final" for this issue?   I noticed that the cab file for PPC2003 has been added to SPR 12467.

Can we get a final rundown of the DST patches available for all of our platforms?  I don't want to distribute erroneous data to customers...

thanks!
Greg
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

paul hurford
Hi Kevin, Within SymScript

Hi Kevin,

Within SymScript you can specify when daylight savings starts and end, i.e. SUN 5 MAR specifies the last sunday in March and SUN 5 OCT the last Sunday in October. Its uses the API call SetTimeZoneInformation() - So anyone can add to there application as well.

2.5.98 Setting the Time Zone

SetTimeZone tz DLS_START:"SUN 5 MAR" DLS_END:"SUN 5 OCT" [DLSBIAS:-60]

This command allows you to specify the time zone and daylight savings (enabled/disabled).

The time zone is an integer a minus value is forward of GMT and a positive value behind GMT. i.e.

0=GMT
-1 = CET, Central European Time
5=EST
8=PST

If DLS_START (DayLightSavings Start) and DLS_END (DayLightSavings End) are not specified then daylight savings is not used.

To use DLS you must specify when DLS starts and ends. You need to specify the day of the week that it comes into effect, which occurrence of the month it relates to and the month.
i.e.

“SUN 5 MAR” equates to, the last Sunday in March
“SUN 1 APR” equates to, the first Sunday in April

DLSBIAS:
This value is optional and normally does not need to be specified as the default is -60.

Specifies a bias value to be used during local time translations that occur during daylight time.
This value is added to the value of the Bias member to form the bias used during daylight time. In most time zones, the value of this member is –60 (1 hour ahead on DLS).

Example:
This example sets the time zone to various values and synchronizes the clock to an HTTP server.

SetVar int False = 0
SetVar int True = 1

SetVar int Debug = true; debug to a file

if ( Debug == True )
SetVar String DebuGFile = "\Application\SyncClock.dbg"
DeleteFile DebugFile
DEBUGON DebugFile
endif

:
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Cassar
The WM5 / CE5 Maintenance

The WM5 / CE5 Maintenance Release for TNT1.0 based products (MC909x, MC70, MC3000, VC5090) planned for January 2007 will incorporate this change.

For WM2003 products a CAB file will be posted to Betazone.  A Reg file will be posted to Betazone for CE4.2 products.

Tom Cassar, Sr. Program Manager ECRT

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Meredith Davison
PMB1281 (attached) addressed

PMB1281 (attached) addressed this issue a couple of months ago. Also, here is additional info from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923953/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923027/

MD

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Matheson
I just had a colleague email

I just had a colleague email me some patches so thought I'd share them here as well. Not sure if they are posted anywhere formally. Also note I have not tested these and only assume they work correctly.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Matheson
here's the attachment

here's the attachment
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’