Airbeam OSUpdate Failures on CE5.0

Has anyone else experienced OSupdate lockups on CE5 device once the udpate has begun.  See the attached screen shot and text from case 1317959 that I have opened.

I think this can happen on any of our CE5 devices.  I have created it on two different terminal types.

Airbeam OSupdate has about a 5 to 10 percent failure rate on MC9090 CE5 units.  When doing an OSupdate of the Partition Table, Platform, Application, and OS, the OSupdate program will sometimes freeze after the partition download.

The symptoms are that the device will successfully download a partition like Platform, Application or OS, but then when it goes to install that partition, the status bar never moves and the device is frozen.  It does not respond to pings, screen taps, or power button.   The only way out is a cold boot, which is really bad, because now you have a device with mixed hex images and cannot continue any type of automated or RD update.

The package was built with Package Builder1.34, with the -n option.  The –n option was thought to possibly resolve this issue previous, but it does not.

I also have the same issue on a custom MC70 with CE5.0.   I will be testing on a MC3090 CE5 unit as well.

During development of the custom MC70, there was some work related to Fusion Radio interrupts, but it was not conclusive.  This case requests that the true root cause for the OSupdate lockup be investigated.

I can email a screen shot of the frozen screen, and provide the OSupdate images.   To help test, I have taken the V1.3 device zone images and added:

1. An Airbeam. reg file to set the package update.

2. Fusion profile.reg to get on the network

3. A calibration file so the device skips that

4. A copy file to start OSupdate on each boot.

I can mail the source for testing.

The Airbeam Package Builder used was 1.34, with V0.42 OSupdate.

In addition to the freeze, please also fix the location of the status bar to start on the left side instead of the middle.

Don Khan
Chris...is AppCenter in this

Chris...is AppCenter in this equation?

I am seeing intermittent failures in the process on MC3090 pro units.  I cannot qualify the "frozen" condition; however, with AppCenter running, every so often, the AirBeam process halts, with a partial AppCenter screen displayed.

Don

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Don Khan
This has me concerned, given

This has me concerned, given the reason, in my case, for the OS upgrade, is to resolve a "Memory Leak" issue.  I have no way of knowing the state of the memory, prior to deploying the upgrade.  May have to consider a package to kill all processes on the unit, perform a warm boot, then apply the OS upgrade!!  Units a deployed coast to coast in Canada!!!
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi all, there are two

Hi all,

there are two workarounds which may help in this issue.

First, try to scan two different Rapid Deployment profiles. The first profile contains only the WLAN settings (cold boot persitant) and the second only the OS Update package you want to download. Sure, you have to start the RD client twice, but you will see less failures.

Second, create the OS Update in local mode. Build a new AirBeam package which will download all necessary files to RAM (\temp folder) and a batch or link in the \Application\Startup folder which starts the OS Update procedure. Then perform a warm boot (as part of the AirBeam package). Due to the fact that all files are already on the device you will never see any failure again. But please try that the OS Update is the only application that will start after the warmboot. We were able to achieve this by another package which stops all cmd / bat files in the two startup folder and by eliminating all reg-entries starting any program.
This "clean-up" package can be downloaded and started by AirBeam too in the same RD profile.

Regards
Angelo

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Mark, I was aware of -n.  Its

Mark, I was aware of -n.  Its job is to stop and restart the radio so the radio interupts do not affect osupdate.

I still get failures with the -n option.   You said you now had 98% success.  Do you still see failures with -n?

If so, I will add it to my case and request a SPR.

Thanks

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Angelo, I appreciate the work

Angelo, I appreciate the work-around advice, but I need to solve the root cause of this, and from reading the posts, other Symbol associates are having osupdate troubles as well. 

Can you please let me know if you have seen frozen updates on a CE5 device so I can help prioritize the case and possible SPR please.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Chris and others, I´ve done

Chris and others,

I´ve done today temp folder update with OSUpdate 43 - MC3090-PRO
It loads partition table ... progress bar was full ... and then it freezes

after a while I have done a coldboot ... now I get the splash-screen and then it freezes again
I am able to boot into IPL - I can download partition, plat, appl and monitor and CE
I do not have the PM in hex format ... only bin

any help to get this device running again ....  AND

this OSUpdate issue needs to be resolved ASAP, I have already SPR 13441 against it
(and a customer where I need to do this with 1000+ devices IN THE FIELD via MSP ...)
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Don, I am not using App

Don, I am not using App Center.  I think it is the interacation of the radio and the osupdate program.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Carl Pearson
I think it is an OSUdate

I think it is an OSUdate issue.  I have experienced lockups on 3090s with OSUpdate from an SD card.  It stalls after Platform. 

The 3090 would not accept a cold boot.  I popped the battery, left it for 30 minutes.  Booted up the half-baked unit, re-did the OSUpdate and it would run all the way through.  It has happened on 6 units.

Might it be that the Partition table changed, confusing OSUpdate?  Might it be that the Platform load masked some interrupt?  I can only guess.

Carl - Texas 

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
Team, I've also heard from

Team,

I've also heard from partners on the same issue.  Where it takes forever for some MC9090 to get updated while others perform the update very quickly (same build date and OS).  These are devices right out of the box.  Also this was done with an SD card as opposed to AirBEAM.  Not sure if there is a CPU issue.  Chris I agree with your thoughts that we should understand what the root cause is since some work arounds may not apply with customers using AppCenter or have their Applications launch automatically.

Cheers,

Mark

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Some good news.  It may not

Some good news.  It may not be the true root cause, as we think it might ne how osudate and fusion work together, but i am testing a version of osupdate that turns the fusion radio off and on at different points in the update, and that has run through over 300 cycles for me so far.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kurt Fetscher
Chris, can you provide this

Chris,

can you provide this OSUpdate to us? If we are talking about issues with Fusion - which version of fusion?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Larry Maniscalco
In Regard to this Airbeam

In Regard to this Airbeam issue, a change was made in OSUpdate to change the behavior of the -n option (which turns off the radio prior to image loads).

This fixed the issue with our Custom MC70 CE 5.0 units for Target.

I'm not sure if this new OSUPDATE.EXE was ever put on the Devzone, but you can get it from Paul Cowan
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

DevCentral Admin
Have you used the -n option

Have you used the -n option with the mc3090 as suggested by Chris Sather.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juergen Schirp
I saw this symptom as well,

I saw this symptom as well, even when using local update.

It could be, that this is related to a memory issue. Normally a meesage pops up, if too less storage or program memory is available. But if the unit does not detect it in time, the update can fail.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
Hi Chris, I too have

Hi Chris,

I too have experience the same issues as well on the VC5090.  It wasn't until I added the -N that this now works 98% better.  Not sure if a small "n" or captial "N" makes a difference.  Also I'm using the latest VC5090 image and OS Update version 1.33.

See attached screen shot of my OS Package Builder.

Cheers,

Mark

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
Hi Chris, Only had a chance

Hi Chris,

Only had a chance to try it on two of my customer's VC5090.  I only saw one have a little hicup where it was initially trying to connect and pull the software.  Usually this would bring up abort/retry screen and would have to struggle with getting this to load, however it recovered after the second attempted and required no manual intervention.  Other unit went without a hitch.  I tested two units at my office and had no issues.

Cheers,

Mark

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Kurt Fetscher
Team, we still see issues

Team,

we still see issues with OS update on MC3090. We are using the -N option + the latest OSUpdate Utility 042b.

The update utility does not freeze anymore BUT 2 out of 10 units fail. In this case the /Application folder is lost or some files missing. Any idea why? We are only updating Partition Table, Splash and Application folder.

Thanks

Kurt

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Kurt, when I was given

Kurt, when I was given version 42b, and subsequnt 43 (attached) I set up units to continously do Osupodates by building a test hex image with calibratoin settings, radio, airbeam settings and a batch file in windows startup that just kept doing the osupdate over and over again.  I ran this test on 12 units over a few days.  I did about 800 osupdates with no failures.

What do you see on the osupdate screen when it fails, or how are you classifying a failure?  In my test, I alternated between two different \app, \plat, and OS images so that I could see what updated and what did not.

I am also planning on modifying my custom images with flag files and use symscript o check the OS, APP, and Plat versions after each cold boot to determine if all the OSupdate images completed.  If the update did not complete, I am going to start the osupdate all over again.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Chris, I have done today

Chris,

I have done today OSUpdate with Version 43 - and it switched off during the update (not sure at which image) probably because the battery goes empty  (this was the testing about ... what happens when the battery is near empty).

and now this unit is "dead" - can not switch it on (no coldboot, no IPL, ...)

at other testing earlier it finishes the update ok but obviously some content of Application or Platform were corrupted (once a file missed, once it lost the appcenter license key, once an exe was there but were not executable) and sometimes everything was ok

all tests done with the same image - device is MC3090 - image contains OS BSP-20

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Hi Chris, on MC9090 and

Hi Chris,

on MC9090 and MC3090 with CE5.0 the osupdate utility provided with OSPackageBuilder 1.37 (0.43)seems not to work correct. I dont know why but sometimes OSUpdate restarts the device after updating the application partition without updating the rest of the image (OS monintor PM, etc.). Another issue seen after updating the device successfully is that the application folder is corrupt or applications cannot be executed (Invalid Windows CE Application). As far as I found out only application partition seems to be affected.

Thomas

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Chris Devereux
All, Sorry to drag this up. 

All,
Sorry to drag this up.  Did we get a resolution to this?

I'm trying to load a 3090 with DCP 1.4 via Airbeam and am getting memory errors before anything is downloaded.  The usual process of moving the memory slider has been followed as per the documentation.  I'm using OSPB 1.37.  Does anyone have a working set of "airbeam-ready" files for DCP1.4?

Chris
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
Hey Chris, Check the temp

Hey Chris,

Check the temp folder as there may be a big file sitting there that may prevent the update to occurr.

Cheers,

Mark
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Paul Cowan
There is an updated OSUpdate

There is an updated OSUpdate Package Builder (including updated OSUpdate clients) on BetaZone.  Enhancements were made to the -n option since the 0.42 client.  Please try the updated OPB.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Philippe Soirot
I had same OSupdate issue on

I had same OSupdate issue on our new MC17: freeze on Application.
I believe the issue comes from an incorrect osupd* exe and/or dll for the targeted device in Airbeam osupdate utility.
We have a new Airbeam os package builder V1.39 on betazone which includes new OSupd* executables and FlashUpdateUtility.dll for each device.
Depending on which one is the newest, the correct osupd* exe and FlashUpdateUtility.dll may also come from  OSUpdate directory, included in new os releases, and available from support.symbol.com downloads(CE). 
Doing the osupdate wireless with an airbeam package works better with  option "-n". This will allow a cycle  like:
 - download partition,
 - stop rf,
 - install partition,
 - start rf,
 - wait for IP 
 - once Ip is present go to download next partition.
It requires much less space on the device.
We may also think about "Close app" option to save memory. 

Philippe.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’