BSP28 UPDATES and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

Hello team:

this is a theoretical rough survey question to get a pulse on a customer satisfaction (THEORETICAL) issue.

QUESTION #1: The BSP 28 for MC70 and MC90 were posted on DevZone in the past 2 days. For customers/partners that already have these devices in hand, how "annoying" is it to stage and upgrade to this BSP.....On a scale of 1 (not annoying at all) to 10 (highly annoying; poke my eyes out with a fork annoying), please rate this aspect.

QUESTION #2: Secondly a trade-off question:  if you could have these devices with the latest BSP (28 in this case) YET delayed in shipment by 3 to 4 weeks,  (this is to take care of inventory already in McAllen or the IDC or at Distis ), how annoying would this be? Again a scale of 1 to 10 (most annoying).

I've been asked by enginerring to get a pulse, not being purposefully annoying. THANKS so much for your frank feedback! Cheers, Diana

Tariq Hasan
Gene, 3) How should we

Gene,

3) How should we package the airbeam package? Ideally we want this to be a full package but if it contains the /application folder, I would image the end customer would need to re-stage their devices and not sure how painful that would be. If we leave out /application we may be leaving legacy settings on the device we may not want in the new image.

Perhaps we can post 2 packages? With and without the \application folder. If we have to do only one, it should be with the \app folder.

4) Can anyone share their experiences (and workarounds if negative) with using RD and airbeam on a publically available FTP server? Note the RD barcodes we provide would not establish the network settings so I am just concerned about the download and installation issues accross many devices.

We have performed OS updates via a airbeam package off a public FTP server by scanning RD barcodes. Works great. Network settings are not done via the RD barcodes, but the customer/partner can just plug in a Symbol AP on defaults into their network and use the default settings on the Symbol terminal, so as long as they have a DHCP server no configuration on the terminal should be required. We performed updates on only one or two terminals at a time, so network performance was not an issue.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Arcuri
Dianna, regarding your survey

Dianna, regarding your survey:

Question 1: rating of 3 (Upgrade through SD card was straight forward)

Question 2: rating of 9 (upgrade is simple, no need for product hold back)

Hope this helps

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Cipriotti
Why not post both explaining

Why not post both explaining the differences and let the customer decide?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tariq Hasan
Hi Diana, Question 1: Depends

Hi Diana,

Question 1: Depends, the score is directly propotional to the number of devices being deployed. The cut off point where it begins to get annoying (>3 on your scale) would be 20 devices I suppose. It hits a 7 or 8 if the number of devices for that customer crosses 100.

Question 2: Cant hold back shipment, too many factors get impacted.

Why cant we (SEs or partners) do a airbeam update using a central MSP somewhere, setup by Symbol?

-Tariq

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Duff
Diana, Question 1:  In terms

Diana,

Question 1:  In terms of the ease of deployment of the upgrade I'd say 3.  It's fairly straight forward if a little time consuming.  In terms of feedback from Customers and Partners that they are having to do it over again, we get a 9. 

Clearly as devices become more sophisticated they will require more fixes, patches and updates.  This is a fact of life.  However, the perception is becoming that these are more fixes because it's something we didn't get right in the first place.  (remember perceptions doesn't always follow reality).  To this extent we are even having requests for compensation or requests to have Symbol do the updates at our expense.

The push back to this is that Partners get a margin and have to provide value add which may include Post sales work.  This has been accepted in the past but it seems that the Post Sales effort is growing across all areas of endeavour. I've had several examples where the Sales Margin has been completely eaten by the Post Sales "fix" effort. Mobile device updates, Wireless Switch patches, and even in ADC with defective USB Scanner cables, one place I thought was still relatively un-complex.

Question 2: Feedback I get is we take too long to deliver as it is so I'd say 9 on this.  Don't make it any longer.

Additional feedback is that it seems to take far too long for manufacturing to update a build.  I have no figures as to how long it does actually take but in my 11 years experience it's not usually swift.  (again it may be perception.)

Regards,

Mark.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

DIANA Melick
THANKS so ever much Peter A.

THANKS so ever much Peter A. and Tariq H! Much appreciate your inputs and feedback as well. This really helps our supply chain folks out. Happy Holidays! Diana (Melick)
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

DIANA Melick
Hello Peter ! (Walsh): Thanks

Hello Peter ! (Walsh):

Thanks so ever much for your detailed breakdown in the answers and your kind extension of time and trouble! Cheers, Diana

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Bo Nielsen
Hi Diana, 1) I would rate it

Hi Diana,

1) I would rate it a 3 if the customer has a management system and a process in place

2) Delaying MC70 shipments further would be an absolute nightmare ie. a clear 10

Bo

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Gene Niles
As a follow on to Diana's

As a follow on to Diana's questions, I am looking into an ECRT intiative in which we would post RD barcodes and and airbeam image on a public FTP server. The theory being that when a customer needs to upgrade a device's image, they would simply scan in the RD barcodes and install the image from a publically accessible FTP server. So here's the questions: (I labelled them 3 and 4 so as not to confuse them Diana's original questions)

3) How should we package the airbeam package? Ideally we want this to be a full package but if it contains the /application folder, I would image the end customer would need to re-stage their devices and not sure how painful that would be. If we leave out /application we may be leaving legacy settings on the device we may not want in the new image.

4) Can anyone share their experiences (and workarounds if negative) with using RD and airbeam on a publically available FTP server? Note the RD barcodes we provide would not establish the network settings so I am just concerned about the download and installation issues accross many devices.

Thanks

Gene

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

DIANA Melick
Mark: (which one please? I

Mark: (which one please? I can't figure which Mark of the 50+  within Symbol :0 )

THANKS so ever much for your candor and feedback! Very much appreciated. I will make sure the supply chain folks hear it clearly. Wishing you a happy holiday season! Cheers, Diana

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Peter Walsh
Dear Diana, QUESTION #1: The

Dear Diana,

QUESTION #1: The BSP 28 for MC70 and MC90 were posted on DevZone in the past 2 days. For customers/partners that already have these devices in hand, how "annoying" is it to stage and upgrade to this BSP.....On a scale of 1 (not annoying at all) to 10 (highly annoying; poke my eyes out with a fork annoying), please rate this aspect.

* ANS #1: - This depends on the total number of Mobile Terminals that the Customer / Partner has, which need to be upgraded to BSP28.1, and over which timeframe: - (Estimated Score out of 10)
1 to 49 Terminals - 3
50 to 99 Terminals - 5
100 Terminals and over - 6 / 7

QUESTION #2: Secondly a trade-off question:  if you could have these devices with the latest BSP (28 in this case) YET delayed in shipment by 3 to 4 weeks,  (this is to take care of inventory already in McAllen or the IDC or at Distis ), how annoying would this be? Again a scale of 1 to 10 (most annoying).

* ANS #2: - This depends on the criticality of the CRSD (Customer Requested Ship Date), competitive factors in the deal, project commitment dates & dealines, and the customer's expectation: -
However, ideally, we should go for the trade-off, even if there is a 3 to 4 week shipment delay. This shipment delay is preferred, to get the Terminals pre-loaded with BSP28.1, before shipment to Customers / Partners / Distributors.
(Estimated Score: 4 to 5 out of 10.)

Kind Regards,

Peter Walsh.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

DIANA Melick
THANKS so ever much for your

THANKS so ever much for your clear assessment, BO!

GENE : much appreciate your dovetailing and numbering sequencing on #3 and #4 questions as tangentially related to the questions at hand here. I would really and truly welcome if the SE community can bounce back to Gene (NILES), so he has further inputs to do the right things in his initiative to better SERVE YOUR NEEDS/CUSTOMER REQUIREMENTS.

Simply put, PLEASE speak up now.  Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday!

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tariq Hasan
Gene, 3) How should we

Gene,

Perhaps we can post 2 packages? With and without the \application folder. If we have to do only one, it should be with the \app folder.

We have performed OS updates via a airbeam package off a public FTP server by scanning RD barcodes. Works great. Network settings are not done via the RD barcodes, but the customer/partner can just plug in a Symbol AP on defaults into their network and use the default settings on the Symbol terminal, so as long as they have a DHCP server no configuration on the terminal should be required.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’