4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 12:40 PM by Alexander Babichev

Access to SSL Distinguished Name information in Rhoconnect Authenticate Method

25c49980-cb2e-4113-a5a7-2f0078c85330

Hello again,

I've got another newbie question around Rhoconnect authentication, and I'd appreciate input from anyone who can help!

I'm looking to use a client SSL certificate (and a server certificate) to secure communication between Rhoconnect client and server.  To tell NGINX to check for a valid client certificate I can add the following lines to the nginx configuration....

ssl_client_certificate /etc/nginx/certs/ca.crt;

ssl_verify_client on;

So far so good.  But what I want to do is make the distinguished name (dn) attribute from the certificate available to my authenticate method. Nginx makes this information available in a built-in variable.  I'm not sure how to get that passed to the Rhoconnect thin instance, and to my application.rb in particular.  I guess I could push it into the HTTP(s) header or something, but I'm not even really sure where/how to access that.

I've managed to find an example for doing this for PHP invoked through fastcgi - but I've not been able to figure out how to translate this to ruby/Rhoconnect.  For php you'd do this (allegedly)...

fastcgi_param  DN $ssl_client_s_dn;

include        fastcgi_params;

It strikes me as something that could be really useful to other enterprise users, so someone must be doing it.

Many thanks

John