WAN "Coverage Survey" Utility

One of our service provider partners, who is used to working with Motorola, asked if we have a untility or engineering software built into our 7094 or 7095 terminals that will allow someone to survey the WAN coverage in an area. Not just looking at the bars, but something like the Fusion status screen (signal strength, db, quality). I guess in Motorola phones there is a series of buttons to get you into such a screen.

I know we do not have such a utility built in, but has anyone come accross a third party application that will do this? A WAN "site/area" survey program.
Karen Weir
Have you looked at Motorola's
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Marc Fluhrer
I am looking for the same

I am looking for the same thing as Site Planner, but for WAN coverage not LAN.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Richard Linsley-Hood
I have a command line based

I have a command line based utility called GPRSStatus which outputs the below (actually this is with no SIM in the terminal - hence no network provider but still get signal strength)

GPRS Status

Model      : MC75
Revision   : REVISION 02.002
Radio Power: Full
Register   : Not registered
Network    : None
Signal     : >= 27 (-59)dBm
System Type: GSM GPRS
Class      : GSM data or GPRS
GPRS status: Not connected

Any key to continue

This could be changed into a windows application quite simply if you wish. Full source code for the above (C) is avaiable if anyone else wishes to do this (or the external partner).

Richard LH

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Richard, Can you please make

Richard,

Can you please make this utility available. I have some partners who are interested.

Charles
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Richard Linsley-Hood
Probably the easiest way is

Probably the easiest way is to give you the source code in C (see attached). I can provide it as an complete executable if the partners concerned do not have the capability of using that source code if you like.

The application is designed to run from an MSDOS style command prompt which is standard on CE terminals and can be provided, if required, on any WM 5.0 terminal as well.

Richard LH
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
Correct me if i am wrong, 

Correct me if i am wrong, 
for WM5 devices we have the Wansample 1.3 which does the same on MC7094 and Mc9094.

This is already compiled and part of WM5 samples, and the source is avialable as well.

Only difference is that Signal strenght is in Percentage instead of DBM value
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Eric Liner
For the 7095 which has the

For the 7095 which has the Sierra Wireless EM5625D module pulling the RF Metrics is specific to the Carrier.  For Verizon Wireless, with Part Numbers that begin with MC7095-PKFD.... or MC7095-PUFD...  Go To Phone > dial ##DEBUGTST on the dial pad > Select Network at the Top > Details on lower left.  Check RSSI and Ec/IO.  RSSI values in the -70 to  -80 range is good.  Ec/IO indicates strength of pilot sector signal.  The lower the value, the better.  If it reports a value above -8 or -9, that means the hand held is having trouble locking onto a pilot sector in that particular area.  This is referred to as 'pilot polution' and can occur even if there is strong RF signal indicated by RSSI.

For Sprint - Part Numbers that begin with MC7095-PKED and MC7095-PUED the above procedure is exactly the same.  The only difference is that you dial ##DEBUG from the phone dial pad. 

There is no function that is simlar for the 7094 (or MC-35) that has the Siemens MC75 module in it.  I'll check around and find out what's available aftermarket.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Richard Linsley-Hood
I believe that TAPI (which

I believe that TAPI (which lies over the top of both CDMA and GPRS) can provide relevant output for all our terminals. I do not have an MC7095 to try this on but I can sned you the executable if you would like to verify what GPRSStatus does (or does not do). It may just be badly named and should be WWanStatus. :-)
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
Hi Richard, Can you send me

Hi Richard,
Can you send me the executable?  I'd like to test this on a MC35 and have this as a tool to test coverage with since AT&T doesn't offer a tool like Verzion where you type ##debug in phone mode.

Cheers,
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dick Sin
see whether this tool can

see whether this tool can help. I used this win back a GPRS case from Intermec.
I've two spare licenses, please contact me if anyone need it.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Richard Linsley-Hood
I have already supplied the

I have already supplied the source code for this solution earlier in this thread. Do you need the executable as well? You can just compile the source code to produce that if you wish (or gte the partner to do so instead).
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’