Yellow triangle on Fusion profiles

Has anyone ever experienced that, on usually properly working terminals, suddenly they do not connect, you go and see the profile, and it shows a Warning yellow triangle, and if you click on connect, it complains saying "Yo may not connect due to regulatory issues" ?

Also, has anyone seen that Wireless log keeps on saying that "there is no suitable profile to connect to" ?
Furthermore, has anyone notice that when this happens, all of the Probes sent by the terminal DO NOT use the right ESSID, but instead they use the "dummy" 01234...?

I just want to know if I am the only one having this problem...
Mark Orlassino
The Yellow Warning triangle

The Yellow Warning triangle shows up if you don't have a WLAN profile that matches the “country–of-operation” of the mobile computer. You will get this warning and the device will not connect automatically to the WLAN profile in question. That said, locking a WLAN profile to a specific country-of-operation (during profile creation or profile modification) is NOT recommended unless one completely understand under what conditions profile “country locking” should be used. You can learn about WLAN profile county-of-operation locking either from reading the Fusion help on the device or reading the Fusion manual. In any case, when creating a profile it is highly recommended to use the default configuration parameter which is "Allow Any Country".

With respect to how a mobile computer knows what country it is allowed to operate within (for regulatory domain governance reasons) the following holds true. A device gets its country-of-operation automatically from an AP (or APs) when 802.11d is enabled on both the AP and the mobile computer. IEEE 802.11d is enabled by default on the mobile computer to meet regulatory rules and allow Motorola to support only one world-wide SKU for our products. SKUs locked to specific countries are problematic for obvious reasons (sales, operations, supply channels). With respect to APs and 802.11d, most relatively modern APs (products produced in the last 3 to 4 year) that are Wi-Fi certified typically support 802.11d. Most new APs from manufactures like Motorola and Cisco don't even communicate wirelessly unless they are manually set to a country-of-operation so that they may properly support 802.11d. As for the mobile computer, the end-user may configure the device to disable 802.11d (from the Fusion Options Application) if the AP infrastructure that the mobile will operate in doesn't support 802.11d or is not configured properly (it has been found in the field that many older APs that do indeed support 802.11 don't have 802.11d setup properly, newer APs lock-out wireless as was mentioned previously). If you or your customer decides to disable 802.11d on the mobile computer, Fusion will require a manual configuration of the country-of-operation for the mobile computer; this configuration parameter is also configured via the Fusion Options Application.

Please note that since the Fusion product is a "Roadmap Technology" like Microsoft Office (i.e. Office 2000, 2003, 2007, etc.), Fusion features are added, deprecated and/or modified throughout the Fusion product life cycle, so when specifying perceived problems and/or questions with or about Fusion please specify the complete version string of Fusion. Fusion version information is found using the Fusion Options Application. An example of a complete Fusion version string is shown as something such as “Fusion 2.53.0.0.13R”.

Thank you,

Mark Orlassino

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
Thanks Mark! Yet, all you

Thanks Mark!
Yet, all you mentioned is under control: I actually create the profile using Fusion public APIs, so all I can set as country is "Allow Any Country". On Options, I properly set "Spain" as the country and disable 802.1d since APs are Cisco 1130.
The thing is that terminals usually work fine, and very seldom they come out with this error.

By the way, I started seeing this with Fusion 2.4...15R, and now they have 2.5...71R, and still happens.

That's why I need to know if someone else has seen the same problem.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Juan Antonio,  I see the

Juan Antonio,

I see the same problem (yellow warning triangle against all profiles) occasionally with all versions of Fusion and I always have 802.11d turned off. It normally clears when the radio is power cycled or the unit is warm booted.

Best Regards,
Ian Hatton

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
As a side note I was told

As a side note I was told that Cisco supports 802.11d however it require them to turn on Aironet Extensions which we don't support.  So I always disable this on Fusion when the customer has a Cisco infrastructure.

Mark
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
Cisco APs have Aironet

Cisco APs have Aironet Extensions disabled.
Fusion Options has 802.11d disabled.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Mark Mann
802.1d is part of STP

802.1d is part of STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) which provides path redundancy while preventing loops in the network.  This is not the same as the 802.11d which is for the world wide use of 802.11 WLANs.

Mark
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Juan-Antonio Ma...
Yes, thanks, I already

Yes, thanks, I already noticed...and fixed my post.
I am getting as blind as a bat...
1d = STP, 11d= Country for wifi.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
All, Depending on the

All,

Depending on the Options settings in Fusion, you may see yellow triangles also when the WLAN radio is off even though the regulatory settings are correct.  This is because the upper layers of Fusion cannot communicate to the driver to set and get the country of operation.  This happen even if 802.11d is off.  You may see this for a short time on suspend and resume, or if there is some kind of issue like the "Adapter Unavailable" issues that occurred on earlier versions of Fusion 2.5 you may see it when you have the adapter unavailable failure.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’