MC7094 Siemens radio F/W update on support website

It looks like a new firmware update for the MC7094/MC9094 Siemens radio was just posted to the support website ( http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=11511&sliceId=&dialogID=26830824&stateId=1%200%2026832337 

The instructions in the update say that it only applies to the Siemens V2 radio, not the V3 radio.  Does anyone know if there was a cutoff date in Manufacturing when we started using the V3 radios in MC7094's?  I have a customer that just purchased MC7094's within the past few months and I don't want to have them go through this update excercise if all of their units may have the V3 radio.

Thanks,
Ken
Don Khan
Ken,         I believe that

Ken,
        I believe that the V3 cut on the MC70x4 and MC9094 is still at an ALPHA status, thus, this should not appear in a current manufacturing build.  Product or Program management can confirm the Status.  Try Augie Corcisco or Nezih Sozmen.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
I have heard that the Rel3

I have heard that the Rel3 modems are not in production units yet.

I put together a couple of methods to automate this GSM Firmware Rel2 update for units in the field.

Because this GSM firmware 2.002 update ( date 27-03-2007 ) is needed also on OEM 39.3 devices to overcome WAN radio powering off into flight mode. 
It is using an universal symscript for MC70 and MC9094 and depending on OEM version it will install the needed files.

See these attached zipfiles all have an description in word inside.

- SD card                           SDcard_MC75REL2FW02002.zip
- Airbeam Package            AirbeamPackageREL2FW.zip
- Custom Application         CARCreatePackageREL2FW.zip

Herbert de Jong  EMEA supportcentre.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
I must state that this

I must state that this Symscript method provided to check and update the GSM firmware,
can be used only when the end-customer agrees to sign an Beta-agreement.

- it is using Beta Symscript executable
- it is installing on OEM 33.1 & 35.2 BETA RIL, RHA drivers.

so this cannot be supplied outside Motorola without this !!

Herbert de Jong    EMEA supportcentre
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
I had the customer spot check

I had the customer spot check a handfull of their units...they all have the newer 02.002 firmware.  Agile says this version started shipping back in February, so I should be safe with this customer, their units were all manufactured after this date.

Thanks,
Ken
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Cassar
Did you run the config check

Did you run the config check tool on the devices?  Running the config check is necessary to know if you have the latest firmware.  You can not tell by looking at the version number alone.  Instructions are included in the word document that comes with the installer.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Tom, The config check says

Tom,

The config check says it's been updated.  What is this utility checking besides the f/w version in the radio?  If we go into Start->Settings->System->Phone Info and see that the Firmware says "REVISION 02.002", itsn't this all the config check utility is doing? 
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
it somewhat more complicated:

it somewhat more complicated:
SPR13273 MC70x4  and SPR 13745 MC9094,  resulted in an "config-part updated" Firmware version 2.002, to resolve the Flight Mode issues.     ( date 27-03-2007 )

As this is not an complete new firmware version, the number is not changed. ( i was told because wwan regulation testing ).
So the Phone Info will not tell you which 2.002 Firmware file is loaded.

Configcheckgui is needed to tell you the actual date of the loaded firmware file inside of the GSM modem.

There is also an possibility to do this with the Symscript utility, which is using an AT command to get the date of the firmware as well.

Herbert
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Herbert De Jong
Updated the Package so it

Updated the Package so it also takes into account GSM firmware inside newly produced units.

The Symbol/Motorola MC7004, MC7094 & MC9094 are using an integrated Siemens MC75 GSM Modem for WWAN communication.
End of Q1 this year Siemens has released a new GSM firmware version for this modem with several improvements and fixes. ( version 2.002 date 27-03-2007 )
NEWLY SHIPPED DEVICES HAVE version 2.002 Fri 29.06.2007 inside, this is now also accounted for in the script.

Added a Beta Agreement included the Package as well.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Cassar
Note that it doesn't matter

Note that it doesn't matter whether it reports 27.03.2007 or 29.06.2007, both represent the same firmware version.  As long as it is 27.03.2007 or later, the firmware is the most recent version.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Damian Stock
Team, A partner has asked me

Team,

A partner has asked me if this update can be achieved using MSP as they have a customer with 500 MC7094s deployed across the country that need to be updated. Has anyone developed a package to install this firmware update via MSP 2.x or 3.x? I assume that SymScript would have to come into play in order to check the existing firmware level and to alleviate the need for user input to the
cab install.

Any thoughts on achieving this?

Thanks,

Damian
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Damian Stock
Team, Apologies for the last

Team,

Apologies for the last post. Somehow I missed Herbert's contribution in the middle of the thread. Hopefully this will address the partner requirement. I would still be interested to hear if anyone has successfully deployed this firmware package via MSP.

Thanks,

Damian
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anthony Ambler
Damian, I have used this

Damian,

I have used this script via MSP 3.1 successfully on MC7094's and MC9094's, but only in my own testing. I have a customer that is using this script via Rapid Deployment on a manual per device basis via WLAN and it is working very well for them.

Customers must be informed that this script is unsupported, but overall I have seen it working very well in my experiences.

Tony Ambler
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dimitri Zantidis
Tom, Between a device with

Tom,

Between a device with BSP 3.33.001 and one with v4.39.003 (and with its modem upgraded with the latest update) I noticed the following differences under Phone Settings->Phone Info:
OEM 3.33.001:
RIL: 01.01.02.62
RHA ver.: 0.30

OEM 4.39.003:
RIL: 01.01.02.74
RHA ver.: 0.31

Could the above differences be a good indication for someone in the field to determine whether the latest modem upgrade has been performed or not?

Dimitri Zantidis
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Raghunandan Nag...
The parameters you mentioned

The parameters you mentioned do not indicate if the firmware is updated or not.
Download the zip file from the link below and please follow the instructions document in there.
There is a utility to check if the firmware is upgraded or not.

http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=11511&sliceId=&dialogID=30262789&stateId=1%200%2030256660
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’