A question on installing patch to WAN FW v2.002

Hi Team,

I have
encountered a situation with recently manufactured MC-7094s that I’m not
familiar with and would like to get your opinion on that.

We are upgrading
existing devices for a customer in the field from v3.33 to v4.39.  Apart from upgrading the OS we also install
the patch firmware upgrade of v2.002 for the GPRS modem which was released on
the Support web site in October 2007.  With
the devices in the field the two step upgrade process (OS and patch) works fine.
 The configuration checker for the GPRS
patch installation shows “Tue 27.03.2007” and that confirms to us the upgrade
process is successful.

However,
customer recently bought some additional units with also v3.33.003 installed.  The manufacturing date of those units varies with the earliest being manufactured on 10 Oct 2007 and the latest on 18 Nov
2007.  I had the impression that we also
had to follow the same process when upgrading those units to v4.39.  While the OS upgrade works fine, the GPRS
patch installation returns the following error message:

“Firmware update failed!

Error Code: 10

No ACK after bootstrap loader.”

When I subsequently run the configuration checker, it
returns:

“SW Rel 2. Configuration was updated (Fri 29.06.2007)”  

The logical assumption will be that the latest
manufactured devices have already the GPRS patch installed even though the OS
version was 3.33 and therefore we do not need to have the patch installed
again.  Would this assumption be correct?  Does anyone know after what manufacturing
date the GPRS patch to v2.002 on the modem has been implemented?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Dimitri Zantidis

joseph boriotti
This would (and should)

This would (and should) happen if you have the Rel 3 Siemens WAN modem installed, which was recently incorporated into the MC7094. It is a good thing, as the previous, v2.002 firmware you tried to load is incompatible with the Rel 3 WAN modem. The v2.002 is intended for the Rel 2 Siemens WAN modem. As to your next question about which release of the WAN modem you have in those units, someone else on the board will have to tell us how to identify this information.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Raghunandan Nag...
Thanks Joe! For answering on

Thanks Joe! For answering on my behalf. Actually, I was not aware for sure that 7094 REL3 has been released to market. The steps to identify the modem version are in the instructions document attached to the CAB file in the release. These are described in the very first page of the document with pictures and it says the firmware upgrade is not applicable for Release modems.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Dimitri Zantidis
I like to confirm that the

I like to confirm that the WAN firmware version, on the recently manufactured devices with v3.33.003 OS from the factory, is REVISION v2.002. In fact, I have not seen any devices so far in the field with firmware REVISION v3.01.  I also had the impression that R 3.01 has not yet been released to the market.

The upgrade process we followed was according to the instructions document that comes with the patch.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Thomas Cassar
Release 3 modems have not

Release 3 modems have not been cut-in to production yet on 9094 and 70x4.  We first need to exhaust our inventory of Release 2 modems.  The estimated cut-in for 9094 will be in the January timeframe.   The estimated cut-in for 70x4 will be in the late Q1 timeframe. 

Siemens started using the "Fri 29.06.2007" firmware for Release 2 modems in the summer 2007 timeframe.  This firmware includes the "flight mode" fixes that were in the “Tue 27.03.2007” firmware.  The error you are seeing is because the WAN firmware can not be back-revved.

Note that there was an issue relating to binary SMS discovered in the "Fri 29.06.2007" firmware (“Tue 27.03.2007” firmware not affected).  There was a recent betazone posting to address this:
MC 7094 – WM 5.0 - Radio Firmware Update (11.03) – SPR 14474, SPR 14430.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’