Changing Fusion WLAN Profiles

Customer is looking to change the number of Fusion WLAN Profiles on a MC70 WM5. For example they have the following profiles;

Out of Box magic
Stage1
Test1

They would like to remove all 3 profiles, and replace them with just one profile called Depot. All profiles have different ESS & security information, however when we have tried to regmerge with just the Depot profile, the other 3 profiles still exist, so I have;

Out of Box magic
Stage1
Test1
Depot

Is there any way of removing the other profiles within WM5 without having to manually delete them?

Thanks
Justin
Anonymous (not verified)
Justin, If you export your

Justin,

If you export your Fusion profiles toWCS_PROFILES.REG and look at the REG file, you should see four entries that look like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMBOL TECHNOLOGIES, INC.\PROFILES\{C3B53F82-9A8A-B90F-E8F6-4956189C6463}]

The HEX values at the end of each key will be unique for each of the four profiles.  You can delete the three profiles you don't want by placing a minus sign in front of the key.  Example:

-[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMBOL TECHNOLOGIES, INC.\PROFILES\{C3B53F82-9A8A-B90F-E8F6-4956189C6463}]

You will need to determine which of the four profiles is your Depot profile and place the minus sign in front of the other three.

Once you do this, place the modified WCS_PROFILES.REG file back on your device and double click on the REG file to re-merge it.  After performing a warm boot, you should only have one profile.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jamie Glover
Hi Ken, Thanks for the

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the feedback, Justin was working with me on this issue.

I tried what you suggested, but the unwanted profiles are not being deleted, I added a minus character at the begining of each profile key in the WCS_PROFILES.REG file and manually merged them in followed by a warm boot and I also tried a cold boot, but the unwanted profiles aren't being deleted.

For example:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMBOL TECHNOLOGIES, INC.\PROFILES\{C7EFE7B0-9968-E772-8017-945C397BE256}]

became

-[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMBOL TECHNOLOGIES, INC.\PROFILES\{C7EFE7B0-9968-E772-8017-945C397BE256}]

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I would appreciate any further thoughts you may have.
For reference, I am using an MC7094 running BSP 4.39.003 with Fusion 2.5.2.0.071R.

Thanks again,

Jamie
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
The minus needs to be inside

The minus needs to be inside the square bracket. This one will remove out of box magic.
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symbol Technologies, Inc.\Profiles\{C7EFE7B0-9968-E772-8017-945C397BE256}]
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jamie Glover
Thanks for the tip Daniel -

Thanks for the tip Daniel - that certainly worked for the Out of Box Magix profile, but I still can't remove the unwanted WLAN profile which has been used for staging with MSP. Maybe this tip is limited to the Out of Box Magic profile only? If anyone can confirm that either way I would appreciate it.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Herrod
When you did RD, if you told

When you did RD, if you told it to persist across cold boot, then it created its own .REG file to accomplish that.  If that .REG file still exists, then it will be "fighting" against yours.  Since there is no way to control the order of processing of .REG files, if yours gets processed first, then the RD-created .REG file will "win" and the profile it defines will exist.  If you find and delete the .REG file created by RD, then you should get the result you want.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

David Meyer
Deleting reg keys this way

Deleting reg keys this way should work for all profiles... Maybe MSP is creating the profiles on the fly based on information from the last sync, or maybe you have another registry file creating those old profiles.

Actually -- thinking about it more, MSP/RD probably created the registry file to keep the new profiles cold/clean boot persistant.  You probably have a registry file that you can delete which contains these profiles.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jamie Glover
Thanks for getting back to me

Thanks for getting back to me Allan & David,

I ran a clean boot with a new application partition and made sure the staging profile in MSP had persist across cold boot set to false. But I am still unable to delete the staging profile…

I am confident that my reg file is ok based on the fact that I am able to delete the out of box magic profile.

One thing that Justin and I found today is that we couldn’t find a registry file for the staging WLAN profile (which makes sense as we also had the persist set to false in our Network.WLAN.Fusion.Public setting), but if this is the case, then could it simply be that MSP staging WLAN profiles cannot be deleted in this way (because there isn't a registry key to delete)?

Is this a mechanism to keep the MSP staging WLAN profile in place so that MSP can be correctly updated with the success or failure of the staging task?

Maybe this thread ought to be in the MSP forum?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Herrod
Which version of MSP are you

Which version of MSP are you using?
MSP 3.x works very differently than MSP 2.x.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jamie Glover
Hi Allan, We are using MSP 3

Hi Allan,

We are using MSP 3.1 with MSP/Airbeam client 4.36.
If this makes any difference then i'd appreciate your thoughts...

Many thanks,

Jamie
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Since this is a WM5 device,

Since this is a WM5 device, you wouldn't need a .reg file for the profiles to persist (unless they're persisting through a clean boot). Once the settings are in the registry, they'll stay there until deleted or the unit is clean booted. You would need to find those keys in the actual registry of the device and come up with a .reg file with the minus to delete them. There are on device registry editors available for this, or you could use the one that comes with Visual Studio. I still use the old RegSave utility to do things like this.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Allan Herrod
MSP 3.1 has a different

MSP 3.1 has a different primary method of persisting settings, via AirBEAM Packages.  We normally recommend NOT using the "Persist across cold boot" option in the WLAN Settings and instead using the general persistence method based on AirBEAM Packages.

IN MSP 3.1 Settings become persistent when they are packaged as AirBEAM Packages and applied.  This can happen in two primary ways.

First, if Settings in a Staging Profile are inherited from a Production Site, then they are automatically packaged and bundled as a Production Site Bundle and pulled at the end of the Staging Profile.  This will cause the device to be assigned to that Site and have the Settings associated with that Site applied to the device persistently.  In the event of a cold boot (clean boot on WM5), the persitent Settings will automatically be re-applied by re-installing the AirBEAM Packages that contain them.

Second, if Settings are manually included as Bundle steps using the "Content - Setting" option, then the selected Settings are packaged and the AirBEAM Package is included in the Bundle.  When the Bundle is installed, the AirBEAM Package containing the Settings is applied persistently.  In the event of a cold boot (clean boot on WM5), the persitent Settings will automatically be re-applied by re-installing the AirBEAM Packages that contain them.

In either of the above cases, if the Settings have been applied persistently, then the only way to ensure that they will NOT be re-applied on a cold boot (clean boot on WM5) is to remove the AirBEAM Package that re-applies the Setting.  This can be done from the AirBEAM or MSP Agent UI.

Having said all of the above, I also need to agree with the note by Daniel that WM5 devices do NOT lose their registry settings on a cold boot and do NOT process .REG files on a cold boot.  Unlike Windows CE and unlike WM2003, where these things happen on a cold boot, on WM5, these things only happen on a clean boot.  So, if you are cold booting a WM5 device and expecting the .REG file with the "[-" to delete the registry keys, this will NOT work since the .REG file will not be processed.  It would work on a clean boot or it would work on a warm or cold boot if the "Skip" flag in the registry were cleared to cause the .REG files to be processed.

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Jamie Glover
Many thanks for your feedback

Many thanks for your feedback Daniel & Allan,

I'll take your points on board and get some further testing done and see if we can get the profiles deleted... 

If I can find the registry key on the device that contains the profiles we need deleted, then I assume that I can apply it with an AirBeam package that does a soft restart (as opposed to a soft restart - no RegMerge).

Cheers,

Jamie
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’