12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2012 8:06 AM by Greg Foster

Rodes.exe Not Found

Greg Foster

Hello,

Today I was just getting my feet wet with the RhoStudio application. I created a simple application following the steps in the Inventory Management tutorial. The issue came about when I tried to run the application on my Windows Embedded device. When I go to build the application I get the following error:

No such file or directory - C:/MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rhodes-3.3.3/platform/wm/bin/Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)/rhodes/Release/rhodes.exe

I navigated to that directory and sure enough, there is no rhodes.exe application. Has anyone run into this before and if so how do you fix this issue?

Thanks,

Greg

• Re: Rodes.exe Not Found
          Peter Arcuri

Greg, what version of OS is your Windows Embedded device, is it Windows Embedded for Handhelds (formally known as Windows Mobile) or Windows Embedded CE? Each relay on different SDKs when building an app. This may be helpful

http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/build#build-for-windows-mobile

As far as your specific issue goes, you may want to re-install MS WM 6 SDK to ensure paths and files are set properly.

Greg Foster

I just looked in the about section of the device and it says that it is running Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional and then below that it says CE OS 5.2.23121 (Build 23121.5.3.6). So it looks like it is running the Windows Embedded CE.

I find it interesting that the install of the WM 6 SDK could be causing the rhodes.exe file to not be in the correct location, or not exist at all for that matter. I will go ahead and try to reinstall this SDK though and see what happens. In the mean time do you think that there might be something else going on?

Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Greg,

Windows Mobile 6.5 sits on top of the Windows CE 5.2 Kernel.

So your machine definitely runs Windows Mobile.

Have you setup the RhoStudio IDE with the correct path to your SDK and vcbuild.exe tools?

The link posted by Peter explain how to do it (http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/build#build-for-windows-mobile).

Then you can take a look at the build.yml file inside your project to be sure it is correctly setup (if you don't know if is OK you can post it here).

~Pietro

Peter Arcuri

I can't say for sure, but if all paths to the SDKs are set properly in ShoStudio and SDK installed properly, you shouldn't be seeing that issue.

It appears as you have a Windows Mobile 6.5 device and not WinCE, so when building your app add the following to your build.yml file.

app_type: "rhoelements"

wm:

sdk: "Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Professional DTK (ARMV4I)"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Greg Foster

Well that information got me closer... I was able to get at least 4 projects complied this time before any issues happened. I have attached my build.yml file this time for you guys to look at. The one thing that I find that is weird is that even though I have everything setup to be run as a Windows device it still shows iPhone: could this be causing problems? Also, this is the new error that I am seeing:

9>c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ce\include\xmemory(160) : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.

9>(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1411)

9> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.

9>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++

9> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

9>Internal Compiler Error in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ce\bin\x86_arm\cl.exe.  You will be prompted to send an error report to Microsoft later.

9>Build log was saved at "file://c:\MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\rhodes-3.3.3\platform\wm\bin\Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK (ARMV4I)\rhodes\Release\BuildLog.htm"

9>rhodes - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Build complete: 4 Projects succeeded, 1 Projects failed, 0 Projects skipped

Error building

What I find interesting is that it still shows Windows Mobile 6 Professional as the SDK path that it is trying to use. I have changed this to 6.5.3 in as many places that I can find. Is this still causing issues?

Thanks again!

Greg Foster

Here are the contents of the build.yml file:

sdkversion: "3.3.3"

name: "InventoryManagement"

version: "1.0"

vendor: "rhomobile"

build: "debug"

bbver: "4.6"

applog: "rholog.txt"

iPhone:

configuration: "Release"

provisionprofile:

codesignidentity:

entitlements:

BundleIdentifier: "com.rhomobile.inventorymanagement"

BundleURLScheme: "inventorymanagement"

wp:

productid: "54266520-c9e8-012f-437b-6c626d533a79"

symbian:

uid: "0xe2b5cd87"

android:

version: "2.1"

extensions:

- json

- another-extension

capabilities:

- non_motorola_device

Peter Arcuri

The reason for iPhone and WM mix up is that you have the WM SDK under "iphone:". Move it under "wm:" See my build.yml file for reference.

myBuildYML.png

Greg Foster

Well I seemed to go a few steps forward and then a few steps back on that one... I am back to getting the rodes.exe is not found error again. But it is now at least showing the correctly SDK:

No such file or directory - C:/MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rhodes-3.3.3/platform/wm/bin/Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Professional DTK (ARMV4I)/rhodes/Release/rhodes.exe

Tasks: TOP => run:wm:device => device:wm:production

(See full trace by running task with --trace)

Microsoft (R) Visual C++ Project Builder - Command Line Version 9.00.21022

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build complete: 0 Projects succeeded, 0 Projects failed, 0 Projects skipped

Error in build application

Here is what I have in the build.yml file now:

sdkversion: "3.3.3"

name: "InventoryManagement"

version: "1.0"

vendor: "rhomobile"

build: "debug"

bbver: "4.6"

applog: "rholog.txt"

iPhone:

configuration: "Release"

sdk: "iphonesimulator5.0"

provisionprofile:

codesignidentity:

entitlements:

BundleIdentifier: "com.rhomobile.inventorymanagement"

BundleURLScheme: "inventorymanagement"

wp:

productid: "54266520-c9e8-012f-437b-6c626d533a79"

symbian:

uid: "0xe2b5cd87"

android:

version: "2.1"

extensions:

- json

- another-extension

wm:

Peter Arcuri

Greg, something is not right in your IDE... I presume you have VS2008 installed... Check out this post for ideas

https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/message/4711#4711

Greg Foster

Hi Peter,

I followed what you recommended and got a little further yet again! Now the only thing that seems to be holding me up is when the GIT application comes up it says that:

(in C:/MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rhodes-3.3.3)

cd C:/MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rhodes-3.3.3

Your java bin folder does not appear to be on your path.

This is required to use rhodes.

Args were: {:app_path=>"C:/MotorolaRhoMobileSuite2.0.5/RhoElements/InventoryMana

gement"}

$app_config['extensions'] : ["json", "another-extension", "rhoelementsext", "mot

oapi", "rhoelements"]

$app_config['capabilities'] : ["motorola", "motorola_browser", "webkit_browser"]

$current_platform : wm

[2012-08-17 10:03:28] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1

[2012-08-17 10:03:28] INFO  ruby 1.9.3 (2012-02-16) [i386-mingw32]

LOCAL SERVER STARTED ON 192.168.2.15:52363

[2012-08-17 10:03:28] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=12588 port=52363

So it looks like I may be having a Java issue as well. Is there a way to change what path it uses to look for the Java application? Also, if I leave this line in:

wm:

I cannot ever build the application. But if I take it out I can build the application but then I get the java error.

Thoughts?

Peter Arcuri

Running 32 or 64bit Windows? Note that if you are running Windows 64-bit, you need to use 32-bit Java when you run RhoStudio. You need to include the 32-bit Java in the RhoStudio PATH. The latest version of JDK supported by Rho is jdk-6u32-windows-i586.exe.

Also, then in RhoStudio Preferences, open Rhomobile and check that the path is set to your JDK bin folder.

JDKpath.png

Greg Foster

Hi Peter,

That seemed to help a lot by fixing that version of the Java JDK. I was at the latest version and it did not seem to like that. I am still getting the same error that the Java bin is not on the same path but I am at least now able to see the application load onto the device and run for testing.

Thanks for the help with this!

~Greg