A new guide on Motorola Wi-Fi connectors, antennas, cables, power sources and how to put this all together

Hello.

Having lots of similar questions from the partners (and as a part of partner education program) I created a pretty basic user-friendly guide to Motorola Wi-Fi connectors, antennas, cables, power sources and how to put this all together. You might find it useful to give to your new partners that are not that strong in our product line or to those, who are exploring new areas.

Basically, it's a compliation of all bits of information dispersed through www.symbol.com, support.symbol.com, DevCentral, SymbolU and other docs floating around. On the other side - I tried to provide links to external official reference sources that could get updated over time, like Antenna Brochure to make change management of the doc the least painful.

The goal was to organize this information, so a partner, planning, say, outdoor installation could find a single entry point to all the stuff (what to order, limitations, how to connect).

I also created a Visio file with various anntenna-AP connection scenarios. Some of them are purely theoretical and I would like to receive your feedback on their practical usability.

The docs are updated for 1.0R status, cleaned and leaned up.
So, please, share your opinion. Even if you think that these docs are totally useless!

Here are the docs (also available in Russian for post-USSR space):
Motorola WI-FI Accessories - Illustrated Guide and FAQ - EN.ppt
Motorola WI-FI Accessories - Illustrated Guide and FAQ - RUS.ppt
Ron Galien
Hello All, I wanted to share

Hello All, I wanted to share our latest updated Motorola Antenna Guide which was released January 2008. Several corrections have been made to the referenced attenna connector types etc. This may not contain the answers to all of your antenna questions, but you may find this helpful.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Anonymous (not verified)
Great job, Arsen! I believe

Great job, Arsen!

I believe that the PPT is a good candidate to become a technical whitepaper.
At the same time the Visio file may be a good add-on (practical examples section or something) to the Motorola Antenna Guide as it contain only a compatibility table - which is OK but sometime it's better to "feel" how it looks like.

Valery
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
Nice guide. I have some

Nice guide.

I have some feedback on it, positive first:

1. Goot to see chapter structure and PDF bookmarks. It was really annoying to scroll/search through the old guide all the time.

2. Good to see chapter contents (list of supported accessories) on each chapter's front page.

3. Good to see bigger pictures.

4. Good to see revision number and Tech Support info.

5. Good to see some fixes.

Now, that could be improved:

1. Nice to see fixes, but how came ML-2499-APA2-01R got female connector? This way you'd never stick it directly to AP300 The old Antenna Brochure was also not sure about this antenna, BTW (claiming it to be both male and female). I don't have external antennas available to check other plug types, so please find someone to double-check other antennas.

2. Most of drawings inserted (including antenna compatibility chart) are of too low resolution. They look blurry even on 100% zoom. Try "3.1.6 ML-2499-BPNA3-01R" section. I suggest either to contact the Antenna Brochure authors or tech helpdesk to obtain vector graphics, or zoom the Brochure to larger extent and then make shots - this way you'll get more hi-res pics. P.S. Some of Antenna Brochure graphics were raster and are suffering from this too. The reason behind this is that most drawings contain antenna sizing info, which is also useful but is barely readable in your doc, while in Brochure you could just zoom in 300%.

3. SubChapter 9.1 of "9 - Mounting Kits"  is named "Lightning Arrestors", which is apparently a mistake. Lightning arrestors were in chapter 8.

4. The page right after TOC is empty. IMHO it would be gooв to put the whole list of supported antennas there, so one could easily check what's changed when newer revision of the guide come out. The other option is to put revision history somewhere - changelogs are pain to maintain but are really good for technical audience.

5. There's still no clear notion of which antennas are OK to use outdoor and which are not.

6. Good to see a list of supported accessories on each chapter's front page. It would be even better so see a comparison/overview table on the next page or at the chapter's end. Or post it separately as XLS and insert a link into PDF.

Besides this small remarks - everything look good. Thatks for your efforts in making our life better!
Is this gonna be posted to support/www.symbol.com of SalesInsight?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Christopher Sather
Does any know if the ML-2499

Does any know if the ML-2499-MGA1-01(mag mount for the (VRC6949) is still available?
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Tajinder Maan
As discussed here's an

As discussed here's an updated Antenna Guide. Enhancements include Connector specification, Indoor/ Outdoor Identification and corrections.

Hope you find this useful. Please send feedback to tajinder.maan@motorola.com
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
Good work!Many useful info

Good work!
Many useful info added, the pics have become much better also!
This effectively obsoletes most of my guide

Still, I think that adding an overview/comparison table in the beginning of each chapter could prove useful.

Will this doc be posted somewhere and can it be distributed to the partners as it is now?

P.S. The one thing unclear is:
Page 1-2:  Access Points and Access Ports Supported
"
The AP-5131 and AP-5181 access points are also addressed in this document. [skipped]
 Valid AP-5131 part numbers include:
The AP-5131 supports...
"
Something is missing right after the colon?

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
More mistakes found.

More mistakes found.

Connectors:
7.1.3 25-85391-01R - Mistakenly stated as "RP-SMA (Female) to Type N (Male)" whereas SB claims "RP-SMA (Male) to Type N (Male)"

Missing: 25-85392-01R (RP-SMA (Male) To Type N (Female) Adapter)

Actually, according to current Rev.B there's no obvious way to connect TypeN antennas to RP-SMA APs This will create quite a confusion. Please fix.
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Greg Hillis
Just to nitpick - Please add

Just to nitpick -
Please add in revision control information (versions, dates) with current version and date inside the doc so we know which one we have.

Thanks!
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
OK, slightly updated partner

OK, slightly updated partner/end-user version 1.0R.
Added release date/time, cleaned and leaned up.
Visio files are inside the PPTs.
Also available in Russian for all post-USSR space
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Wendy McCaw
Arsen,     Thank you for the

Arsen,

Thank you for the work on the guide for Antenna's. One comment, please update with a link to the Antenna Specification Guide which was created to replace the Antenna Brochure. Please find it at:
http://compass.mot.com/doc/267788406/Antenna_Guide_72E-108048-01_Rev_B.pdf

Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’

Arsen Bandurian
Is is available to external

Is is available to external audience and partners somewhere (support.symbol.com or symbol.com)?
As this is partner/end-user facing presentation which must not contain links to internal resources like Compass
Vote: 
Vote up!
Vote down!

You voted ‘up’