6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 12:09 PM by Jon Tara

Newbie needs some direction on app connecting to SQL Server Database

I need to develop a simple physical inventory application for the MC9190G.

It will connect via WiFi to a corporate network to a SQL Server 2005 database.

The app just needs to insert rows with part number and warehouse into a table after they are scanned.

A server based physical inventory reconciliation application will take it from there.

Please give me some direction on the best way to accomplish this and where to start.

Note: I have previously developed for Intermec devices using Visual Studio & DCBrowser and am totally new to Motorola devices and Rho.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• Re: Newbie needs some direction on app connecting to SQL Server Database

Hi!

i do something like this in rhomobile: enter local information local  and syncronization part make it to appear on the database. what i use:

- rhomobile with rhodes for client and rhoconnect for server;

- an ASP.NET MVC4 Web Api application that take information from rhoconnect and introduce it in the database via EntityFramework (linq). or you can do by make a web service (WCF) application or other technology (java, php anything else).

• Re: Newbie needs some direction on app connecting to SQL Server Database
            Glenn Sayer

Matt,

You have several options.  You can leverage the HTML5 and maintain a local DB to store and forward the transactions, or leverage RhoConnect to sync the device data with the back end.  If you are sure that you are going to have a network connection and want to call the DB directly you can also do that with a RhoStudio (native) application.  Connecting to a DB directly on a mobile device can be a tricky thing to do with the connection coming and going.  You might be better severed to create a web services on the back end and leverage this to change your data if no device side storage of data is needed and leverage a HTLM5 application.  All comes down to network connectivity, speed that you want to scan items in, do you need any data on the device,  how you interact with the back end DB.